Waveform for only part of the file

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mike Harrington

Waveform for only part of the file

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 8:29 pm

I have some video interviews which have fully working audio in V14....problem is only half of one of the 40min interviews has a waveform. The file has a waveform in the media page and on the timeline....but only for the first 20 or so minutes of it. The rest did not generate and displays as a blank audio waveform.

Just to be clear this is on 1 continuous file...and only 1/2 the waveform is showing.

I set my working directory to a new cache and restarted davinci...but that didnt seem to fix it....

Where are the waveform cache files located? and is there a way to force davinci to regenerate them?

Thanks

Mike Harrington

Re: Waveform for only part of the file

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 8:45 pm

so on further review.....i think I see the problem...or bug

This is a mxf file consisting of 4x 2gb chunks....formatted for fat32 CF storage as is common...4 files representing 1 continuous video.
The waveform cuts off at exactly the end of the second 2gb chunk. The audio and the video are still fine...but no waveform is generated for chunks 3 and 4.

Still have no control over this, other than possibly removing the individual clips from the folder to force davinci to treat it as 4 individual clips, but that's a terrible workflow

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 3:58 am

Can you PM a link to the source file?
What is is recorded on?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Mike Harrington

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 9:45 pm

sorry cant for security reasons
North Korean defectors...have to hide identity, family still present.

The XML says shot on canon xf100 firmware 1.0.2.0

Return to DaVinci Resolve