Non-Intuitive Behavior of YRGB Curves

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Earl R. Thurston

Non-Intuitive Behavior of YRGB Curves

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 9:24 pm

I'm finally starting to try out Resolve Studio now that I have a computer that can run it. One aspect of the Color panel that's been puzzling me is what seems to be the non-intuitive behavior of the YRGB curves palette.

I was attempting to make some changes to the Red, Green and Blue channels independently by unlocking the channel selectors, and then adjusting each of the curves on the graph. Normally, I would expect the changes I make for each color to ONLY affect that color, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

For example, if I move one of the end-points for Blue, I can see the Red and Green channels changing at the same time in the waveform parade, usually in the opposite direction of the Blue channel. I would expect the Red and Green to stay exactly where they were and not change at all while I'm adjusting Blue.

Green tends to be the worst -- If I make changes to the Green curve, the Red and Blue parts of the image change more than the Green does.

Overall it's making it quite frustrating to use; I pretty much have been unable to use this feature because I can never make the changes I need -- every change to one channel makes the opposite change in the other channels, sometimes to unrecoverable points (e.g. I can't compensate by re-editing the other channels; there isn't any adjustment room left.)

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something, but not sure what.
URSA Mini 4K, URSA Broadcast G2

Earl R. Thurston

Re: Non-Intuitive Behavior of YRGB Curves

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 10:39 pm

Okay, I managed to figure out what's going on.

On the Primary Wheels palette, Lum Mix was set to 100. So, any changes to one primary color would be compensated for automatically in the other primary colors through the Y (Luminance) channel.

By setting Lum Mix to 0 (zero), I was able to get the behavior I was after -- a change to one primary color will now only affect that primary color.

Note that this also effectively disables the independent Y channel of the Curves palette, since it's no longer getting any share of the color data.
URSA Mini 4K, URSA Broadcast G2

Marc Wielage

Re: Non-Intuitive Behavior of YRGB Curves

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 11:30 pm

Earl R. Thurston wrote:On the Primary Wheels palette, Lum Mix was set to 100. So, any changes to one primary color would be compensated for automatically in the other primary colors through the Y (Luminance) channel. By setting Lum Mix to 0 (zero), I was able to get the behavior I was after -- a change to one primary color will now only affect that primary color.

That is true. I tend to generally only use an overall RGB curve early as a setup node, but I will dive in and use an individual color channel if there's some really weird problem that needs to be addressed. My two observations: 1) using curves is slow and will drag down the session compared to other controls; 2) the Mini Panel provides some extra knobs specifically for curves that helps the speed somewhat. I rarely have the time to use curves because I'm generally fighting a deadline.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve