Just finished a little project in DaVinci Resolve!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Wu Zhengjiang

Just finished a little project in DaVinci Resolve!

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 4:34 am

I just finished a little project 100% in DaVinci Resolve (free version).
Well, not a big project, just a 10 minutes promo. But I'm definitely going to try a bigger one later.
The experience was pretty good. Crashes happen every hour, seems horrible. But protected by live save, most time I didn't lose any work.
After editing, the color correction was thrill. Especially the new white balance button, big time saver. Although some of the little bugs were still kind annoying, but not big problem.
Most exciting part of course was the audio editing and processing. With new Fairlight, audio processing was super smooth and fast.
When the client asked me to make some changes again and again, I didn't have to worry a thing that always hindered me from using DaVinci because all those weird things caused by round-trip.
The exporting was kind scary. Because first two time both failed for no reason. Only third time succeeded. I found that the exporting was all about luck. one out of five times it will fail.
In the end, my manager complimented me for my new work, especially the color. I think it is all worth the trouble.

It is definitely more efficient when you can do everything in one single software, even that software is still full of deadly bugs, and lacks some features I desperately miss, for example, in FCPX the usage of any footage is precisely tracked and displayed. I really miss that.
But in conclusion, I think DaVinci Resolve is almost ready, at least for small projects.

Alex Uzan

Re: Just finished a little project in DaVinci Resolve!

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 9:11 am

Thanks for your feedback :)

That's true, the Edit part in Resolve still lacks some ergonomic features.
A lot of them has already been requested in the "Features request thread", so let's hope that BM listens their users.

Return to DaVinci Resolve