Subtitles for Davinci Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Svein Wisnaes

Subtitles for Davinci Resolve

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 5:29 am

What are you using for subtitles?

I will write up a workflow based on Subtitle Edit (http://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit/) that I have got working, but was just wondering what you all were using.

This will only give you subtitles burnt into the video. It would be better if Blackmagic added metadata tracks to Resolve and let us add any number of tracks with subtitles based on some of the standard formats like .srt . Then you would be able to use the features of your playback device to turn subtitles on and off and render it accordingly.
Regards,

Svein Wisnaes
Oceanwatcher Media - http://www.oceanwatcher.com/
Windows 10 Pro, HP Zbook 15 G2, Ultrastudio Express (Thunderbolt 2)

Brandon Fowler

Re: Subtitles for Davinci Resolve

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 9:58 am

I've been looking for a way to handle subtitles in Resolve. I'm very interested in seeing your workflow with Subtitle Edit, Svein.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 1:45 pm

You can use FCP XML for subs in Resolve. there is no nice and clean way.
Premiere with EZTitles plugin is very easy and nice way of working with subtitles.

Micha Clazing

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 2:51 pm

It would be great to have a proper workflow for adding subtitles to a feature in Resolve and exporting it as SMPTE XML inside a DCP. Actually, make that a more broad feature request for native DCP output without having to use plugins or external software.

Denis Pilon

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 2:58 pm

EZ titles plugin work so nice with Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro. I talked to the Resolve Product Team Leader at last NAB and I hope Resolve do the same concept of subtitling. EZ titles plugin link to EZ titles standalone software and works so rapidly. We need EZ titles plugin in the next Resolve release !!!
Resolve 18.0.4 Build 5
Desktop Video 12.2.0
Supermicro PC 7048GR-TR
Win 10 Pro
CPU: 2 x Xeon E5-2687W/10-Core 3.1GHz
RAM: 128GB
Maxwell RTX-3090 & 3060
Driver 511.65
Avid Artist DNxIO
System storage: 512GB SSD
Storage: Accusys Exasan 96TB total/RAID5

JP Perry

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 5:05 pm

I would love this feature in Resolve.

These days with so much content created for social media -- which is often viewed silently on a mobile devices -- there is a huge demand for a quick, easy, and inexpensive way to add subtitles. Right now I am having to use Premiere to generate SRT files, and would much rather do this in Resolve. $1000 plugins are not an option for me.
Gray Cat Films | www.graycatfilms.com
MacPro 12-core | AMD RX 580 | 32GB | DeckLink Mini | Flanders CM170 | Tangent Ripple | OS X Mojave

Svein Wisnaes

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 4:25 pm

I am writing it up. Just need to clear a couple of points and do some screenshots.

It will be published on my blog on https://www.oceanwatcher.com/ and I will post a link here.

In the mean time, here is a Twitter-style version of the workflow :D

Write subtitles in your favourite word processor.
Format them with one empty line between blocks.
Import into Subtitle Edit
Do the timing
Save as XML+images
Import into Resolve and add to timeline.

There is more to it than this, including a couple of edits of the XML (will talk with the software author about that). But these are the major steps.

I have also found a open and free font that is very close to the one used by many tv channels for subtitling. This way, it will look very clean and professional.
Regards,

Svein Wisnaes
Oceanwatcher Media - http://www.oceanwatcher.com/
Windows 10 Pro, HP Zbook 15 G2, Ultrastudio Express (Thunderbolt 2)

Return to DaVinci Resolve