UHD Sequence with UHD Video monitoring bug..

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tim Wreyford

UHD Sequence with UHD Video monitoring bug..

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 6:23 am

Hi Blackmagic team,

I have noticed a possible bug,not sure if it is a bug or my system.

In DaVini Resolve 14 - release version - if I set the sequence res to 3840 x 2160 ultra hd, the video format under video monitoring to UHD 2160p and the image scaling to ‘match timeline settings’ and then hit play the picture suddenly goes dark and a bit greenish and lots of banding in the image.

Once I hit pause the picture returns to normal.

The viewer in resolve doesn’t play but it does in my external monitors - showing the above issue.

Any other configuration of resolutions this does not happen.

Also if I disable my Decklink studio 4k in the Video & audio IO settings the viewer in resolve plays fine with no issues.

I have tried updating to the latest desktop video and still no difference.

Also seems to be any type of footage, and codec.

I am running the final release version of Resolve 14 - but also tried rolling back to the last beta version and still seeing this bug.

Anyway not sure if you can replicate this bug or if its something wrong with my system.

Here are my specs...

Thermaltake core v71 case
Windows 10 Pro - 10.0.15063 Build 15063
GA-X99-Designare EX Motherboard
Core i7 6900k 3.2 Ghz 8 core (Turbo 4 Ghz) Socket 2011-3
2 x NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti's ( EVGA )
Samsung 840 Por SSD 240 gig for OS
Intel 750 U.2 for cache
6 x 2 TB Seagate 7200rpm stripped in rad 0 for media
64 gig 2133mhz DDR4 Crucial ram

Decklink studio 4k
Desktop video 10.9.7
DaVinci Resolve 14.0 - final release version.
Cuda driver - 382.53 -desktop - win10-64bit
DaVinci Resolve Mini Panel
Sonly Oled Broadcast monitor
4k LG Oled Cleint monitor

Cheers,

Tim

Tim Wreyford

Re: UHD Sequence with UHD Video monitoring bug..

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 11:06 pm

Anyone else seeing the same behaviour as above?

Tim Wreyford

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 6:05 am

UPDATE - I have been doing a bit more testing and rolled back from the final release of DaVinci Resolve 14 every version of Resolve 14 beta's, b9, b8 and b7 showed this same bug but b6 its working with out the above mentioned issue. So I would assume its a bug and not my system??

Blackmagic Design - if this is a bug any chance it will be fixed on the next version?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 6:13 am

It's not happening here, and no one else seems to be reporting it.

Try updating the NVIDIA driver to the current version (385.69).

If that doesn't help, go into Resolve Preferences - System - Video and Audio I/O and set the Capture and Playback, and Resolve Live selections to None. Save the prefs and restart Resolve.

Now what does the Resolve viewer do?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Tim Wreyford

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 6:30 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:It's not happening here, and no one else seems to be reporting it.

If that doesn't help, go into Resolve Preferences - System - Video and Audio I/O and set the Capture and Playback, and Resolve Live selections to None. Save the prefs and restart Resolve.

Hi Dwaine, thanks for replying ;)

I just updated to that cuda driver and still the same issue exists, disabling capture and playback and Resolve live the Resolve viewer works normally with no issue, but re enabling It I again see the issue in my external monitor - so it didn't seem to fix the problem, rolling back to beta 6 it works perfectly in my external monitor and the Resolve viewer - which is weird ?? Any ideas.

Thanks,

Tim
Last edited by Tim Wreyford on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Wreyford

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 7:11 am

Tim Wreyford wrote:
Dwaine Maggart wrote:It's not happening here, and no one else seems to be reporting it.

Hi Dwaine, thanks for replying ;)

I just updated to that cuda driver and still the same issue exists, disabling capture and playback and Resolve live the Resolve viewer works normally with no issue, but re enabling It I again see the issue in my external monitor - so it didn't seem to fix the problem, rolling back to beta 6 it works perfectly in my external monitor - which is weird ?? Any ideas.

Thanks,

Tim

ps - if I set Data levels in Video monitoring to 'Full' the image plays normally in my external monitor - but still frozen in the Resolver viewer - but the Data levels should be set to Video as I am monitoring in Rec709.
The same behaviour happens across all projects at this resolution. Again Beta v6 no issue at all.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 4:42 pm

Use the "Create Diagnostics Log On Desktop" menu in the Resolve Help menu and then post the resulting file on a file sharing site and provide a link to that file.
Dwaine Maggart

Tim Wreyford

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 9:30 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Use the "Create Diagnostics Log On Desktop" menu in the Resolve Help menu and then post the resulting file on a file sharing site and provide a link to that file.

No problem, here is the link...

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/b3683c ... 748/acc35c

I also just noticed that this issue doesn't happen on the edit page but does on the Color and Delivery page.

Thanks for looking into it :)

Tim

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 1:13 am

Does this happen with just a UHD clip in a UHD timeline with UHD monitoring, and no grades applied?
Dwaine Maggart

Tim Wreyford

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 3:06 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Does this happen with just a UHD clip in a UHD timeline with UHD monitoring, and no grades applied?

I just tested this in a fresh project with no grades applied and yes it still happens - doesn't seem to matter what res the footage is in, ultra hd or higher, I can work in ultra hd and monitor HD no problem but as soon as I change the video monitoring to UHD 2160p the issue is there.

If I change the sequence settings to a higher res than UHD but monitor in UHD everything is fine, its just the UHD combo in sequence res and minoring res that seems to cause the problem If that makes sense?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 4:52 am

Tim, u r on single UI monitor?
Can u post a phone video showing this issue?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Tim Wreyford

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 7:08 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Tim, u r on single UI monitor?
Can u post a phone video showing this issue?

Hi Peter,

Yes I am running a single GUI monitor, here is a link to a video...

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/5cea00 ... 313/03b4bc

Please note my Sony Oled is just a HD monitor hence no image in that with these res output settings - obviously to be expected.

Also the banding you can see in the top of the TV appears with this issue, you can see when I pause the image returns to normal. This is on a completely ungraded clip.

Like perviously mentioned i can roll back to beta 6 and this all works perfectly.

Cheers,

Tim

Tim Wreyford

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 11:34 pm

UPDATE -

Felix Hüsken over at Lift Gamma Gain suggested this...

Try disabling "minimize interface updates during playback" in the general settings.

I tried this and it worked !

I have never had an issue with this setting before so its a bit unusual - strangely now re enabling this function the issue still isn't present - very odd it was an issue before - but great its now working normally again :)

Hopefully it wont appear again but so far it seems to be fixed.

Anyway thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Tim

Return to DaVinci Resolve