Maximum Available Hardware Input/Outputs

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Reynaud Venter

Maximum Available Hardware Input/Outputs

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 10:08 am

As I attempt to incorporate Resolve in to certain workflows, the maximum available inputs/outputs aren't able to fulfil the requirements of certain workflows, and increasingly this is becoming a rather large hurdle.

The CoreAudio driver, for example, on my system provides 128 channels of Input and Output in software, with 152 physical Inputs and Outputs being available at the hardware level.
Resolve currently only accesses the first 8 Inputs and the first 16 Outputs of the driver.

As an illustration of the hurdle in a typical film scoring workflow:
In the current session, Outputs 1 through 8 are routed to a Print Recorder, and Outputs 9 through 16 are assigned to a 7.1 monitoring configuration in the Control Room Setup in Preferences and in the Patch Input/Output window. Inputs 1 through 8 are assigned as Mic Inputs for pickups.

The next stage (due to certain processing limitations of Resolve Native) is to route 8 Track Sends to 8 channels of Bricasti hardware Reverb, along with another 8 Track Sends being routed to 8 channels of TC6000 hardware Reverb. The signals will then be routed back to various Aux Buss Returns.

In this configuration, all the available Inputs and Outputs are already assigned within Resolve, with no available input channels for the Aux Buss Returns from the two hardware Reverb units.

In other words, a minimum of 24 Input channels and 32 Outputs channels are required in order to facilitate the workflow outlined.

In this situation, is the Fairlight Accelerator card the only option in order to access more Input and Output channels, or will more Input and Output channels be provided within Resolve Studio Native in future?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

hockinsk

Re: Maximum Available Hardware Input/Outputs

PostThu Nov 25, 2021 5:34 pm

Old post, but worth a reply. Jack Audio sees 32 channels, but Resolve allows 128 connections, which is what I've set JackRouter to make available when starting the server.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (505.96 KiB) Viewed 441 times
Intel i7, 32GB LPDDR4, NVIDIA GTX 1650 6GB, Windows 10, Davinci Resolve Studio 18.0.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve