Playback not working (sometimes)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JP Perry

Playback not working (sometimes)

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 3:56 pm

This happens frequently in Resolve 14.0.0.078. After editing for a while, seemingly at random, I am no longer able to play the timeline. The software has not crashed, as I am able to perform other tasks. I tried clicking play, hitting space bar, and using J-K-L and none of them play the timeline unless I restart the program.

Anyone else? Any ideas?

Logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0jyyiywvzixey ... 9.zip?dl=0

OSX 10.12.6
R3D media
GTX 970 GPU
Last edited by JP Perry on Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gray Cat Films | www.graycatfilms.com
MacPro 12-core | AMD RX 580 | 32GB | DeckLink Mini | Flanders CM170 | Tangent Ripple | OS X Mojave

Robert James

Re: Playback not working (sometimes)

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 6:11 pm

Yep, it's a bug that I've had since Beta 1. Submitted several logs on the issue.
Resolve Studio 14.1
Windows 10 Fall Creator Update
ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO MB
AMD 1800x 4Ghz 32GB RAM
M.2 System Drive, M.2 Media Drive (All other drives SSDs)
ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G VC

JP Perry

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 9:35 pm

Just happened again! Seems to occur when I am making adjustments to audio, such as changing levels or EQ.
Gray Cat Films | www.graycatfilms.com
MacPro 12-core | AMD RX 580 | 32GB | DeckLink Mini | Flanders CM170 | Tangent Ripple | OS X Mojave

Uli Plank

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 2:28 am

Did you set your preferences to "Stop on dropped frames" ?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Robert James

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 10:35 am

Uli Plank wrote:Did you set your preferences to "Stop on dropped frames" ?

While I don't have that setting enabled, would that really cause you to not be able to restart the timeline?
Resolve Studio 14.1
ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO MB
AMD 1800x 4Ghz 32GB RAM

Uli Plank

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 10:54 am

Well, it happened to me when it was enabled and I had several video tracks. Seemed to hang, but tapping a few times made it start and stop again.

Did you try to play with JKL?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Robert James

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 12:24 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Well, it happened to me when it was enabled and I had several video tracks. Seemed to hang, but tapping a few times made it start and stop again.

Did you try to play with JKL?

Once the timeline stops playing nothing, short a software restart will get it working again.
Resolve Studio 14.1
ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO MB
AMD 1800x 4Ghz 32GB RAM

Uli Plank

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 12:34 pm

Well that's a different problem then.

Robert James

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 12:50 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Well that's a different problem then.

How is it a different problem from the OP? What am I missing?
Resolve Studio 14.1
ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO MB
AMD 1800x 4Ghz 32GB RAM

John Paines

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 1:03 pm

JP Perry wrote:Just happened again! Seems to occur when I am making adjustments to audio, such as changing levels or EQ.

Adjusting the position of audio keyframes on the timeline was causing this playback freeze in 12.x as well. Moving a keyframe around at random usually restored playback.

Uli Plank

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 3:05 pm

@Robert
My assumption from own experience was misleading, since that was not a complete stall.
So I stated it's a different problem.

malkazoid

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 11:43 pm

Reviving an old thread.
I am experiencing something like this in 15.2
Once the playback stops working, trying to initiate playback results in no playback, but the little audio meter icon next to the volume bar registers brief burst of audio levels (although no audio plays back). Those levels fall to zero after about one second, and then nothing.

Anyone else experienced this?

I never had any problems of this sort.
Some details as to what happened today, that may shine some light on the problem.

1) My original source drive stopped mounting, so I switched to a backup drive, and relinked my timeline to it.
2) Playback was very choppy with a lot of dropped frames despite the timeline being very simple. So then I noticed that the SSD drive Resolve was using for caching was full. When I cleared some space on that drive, performance improved but not so much as to be considered normal. Frames were still dropping here and there, and audio would cut out regularly during playback.
3) I limped along this way but as the day wore on, playback would refuse to initiate altogether, more and more often. I'd restart Resolve and get back to work, only for it to happen again with increasing frequency. Monitoring the free space on the cache drive - there is still plenty of room.
------------------------
Davinci Resolve Studio
Mini panel
Windows 10
Nvidia GTX1080ti

malkazoid

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 11:52 pm

Ok - deleting the cache, switching the cache settings to "No cache" and restarting Resolve seems to have fixed things...
------------------------
Davinci Resolve Studio
Mini panel
Windows 10
Nvidia GTX1080ti

malkazoid

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 9:48 pm

I spoke too soon.
Scrubbing around for 20 seconds made the problem come back.
Could it be the sheer length of my timeline?
There's about 6 hours of video on it.
Two video tracks + one for text overlays.
8 Audio tracks.
------------------------
Davinci Resolve Studio
Mini panel
Windows 10
Nvidia GTX1080ti

malkazoid

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 9:59 pm

Some more clues to the problem, perhaps:
-I'm in the edit page, and although I can select and move clips around in it, I can't switch away from the edit page to any other page now that playback has stopped working. Also, when I switch folders in the media window of the edit page, the display refreshes to show me the icons of the clips in each folder, but the thumbnails do not display.
Some real strange behavior...
------------------------
Davinci Resolve Studio
Mini panel
Windows 10
Nvidia GTX1080ti

stevenkeen

PostFri May 24, 2019 8:25 am

I am experiencing the exact same thing on Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.5. It's to the point of being unable to work. Every 2-3 minutes the video stops playing back and after another 2-3 seconds, the audio cuts out too. All other functionality is still operational - I can save, move stuff, perform edits, but no videos play back, either in the Timelime or in the Media Pool. After about 20-30 seconds, all is back to normal, only to repeat after another few minutes.

I am considering a move from Adobe CC, but if this is a known bug as somehave stated, this is impossible to use.

Yes, I have plenty of disk space and its an ultrafast NVME. 32 GB RAM iMac Pro.

thijs paijmans

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 1:22 pm

Hi!

I'm experiencing somewhat the same thing.
After starting the application, it works like it's supposed to for a couple of minutes, and then playback stops.
Sometimes it says "Media Offline", but not always: it can either be "Offline", black screen in viewer or a freeze frame.
Most of the other functionalities still work, so I can save and restart Resolve and work again for a couple of minutes.
I tried a lot of things, from going to a newer version of resolve to deleting cache, deleting optimized media (which I was not using), making a new project,...
I am now making optimized media, let's see how that works out.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Package

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 12:05 pm

Hey guys, I have the same thing and have no idea what is going on.

Working with 3 video Multicam Timeline, 1 of them is 4K Sony A73 footage, i can work for about half an hour before it just stops playback. I can save the project and exit but Resolve.exe stays open in task manager where I have to kill it manually before I open it up again.

Strong workstation with plenty of SSD space, Win 10 w free version of Davinci Resolve

matthewc

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 3:23 am

I've had this now start happening since the latest software update.
It's kiling my editing workflow. I have tons of room on my HDs.

edzusv

PostFri Feb 28, 2020 1:41 pm

Package wrote:Hey guys, I have the same thing and have no idea what is going on.

Working with 3 video Multicam Timeline, 1 of them is 4K Sony A73 footage, i can work for about half an hour before it just stops playback. I can save the project and exit but Resolve.exe stays open in task manager where I have to kill it manually before I open it up again.

Strong workstation with plenty of SSD space, Win 10 w free version of Davinci Resolve

Same issues. When working with multicam edit on Davinci Resolve 16, playback stops working after 10 min work. If I restart the program, it works again for a little while. This is so painful!

Does anyone have any suggestions of what is the problem?
My system:
Apple M1 MAX Studio
Editor Keyboard
Speed Editor for my Asus TUF laptop

khall187

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 10:14 pm

Count me in for having the same problem

Audio stops playing, "burst" of audio sometimes on the output channel, and nothing short of closing/restarting will fix it.

I'm using a prosumer Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 rack mounted interface with updated drivers. Audio settings in DR are correct.

Beyond frustrating.

SebastianTRZ

PostSun May 10, 2020 1:22 pm

Having the same problem on 16.2.

My PC:
Win10. 32gigs of RAM, Ryzen 5 3600, RX Vega 64, footage and cache on two external Samsung T5 SSDs.
My timeline is about 4 minutes long, with 7 or so tracks consisting of footage from BMPCC4K (BM raw 12:1), Nikon Z6 and GH5.

Playback freezes, and although I can move the cursor around, the program display doesn't update, but remains frozen on the frame playback froze on. If I try to restart playback with the space bar or JKL I get a small blip in the audio meters, but nothing else happens. At this point I'm also unable to get out of the edit page.

Sometimes I can restart Resolve and the problem goes away for a few minutes, sometimes Resolve crashes as I try to reopen it and only a full restart will fix things. Now the problem seems to be occurring with more frequency, from randomly once a day to now consistently occurring after a few minutes of editing.

I haven't had the same problem so far on my MacBookPro 13". I'm somewhat new to Windows, so could be something dumb I'm doing/not doing. I have updated my graphics drivers recently.
Nikon Z9, BMPCC4K

bizonious

PostSun Sep 06, 2020 2:21 am

With this new update, I'm facing the same issue. The playback stops working after a couple of minutes. It's really harming my workflow where I can seriously miss important deadlines. If I can't find a solution to make it work I might decide never to use this software again. This software is not worth it enough for me to lose money. I think that the least amount of reliability a software should give which I have paid for. A simple thing such as "playback".

I do have plenty of HDD space, RAM, and Graphics- so It's definitely not my specs.

rnbaker

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 3:45 pm

I have the same exact issue and nothing works except to restart DR. It has happened with DR 15, 16, and now 17b1. It has happened with new projects in new databases on various computers. It just happened on a newer project on 17b1 (on a brand new computer) which I created a couple of weeks ago on 16.2.7.

The only thing that I can think of that might be different about many of my projects is that I heavily use Retime Controls (changing speed, reversing the segment, etc.). Anyways, I just hope BMD fixes this issue as soon as possible whatever the problem is.

Mogoro

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 3:36 pm

Hi,

Has there been a resolution to this issue, I am using the free version on a Macbook Pro, and using it for work, I am getting super frustrated with this and it is really effecting my workflow, and making me miss deadlines.

Really need a solution to this.

Regards,
Mogoro

lupusagnus

PostSun Jan 17, 2021 11:46 pm

Exactely same issue here on Davinci Resolve 17 beta. No specs problem. Someone found a fix to this unfortunate issue?
Thanks in advance for help!

maki42

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 7:26 am

Hey guys! Haven't tested this out thoroughly, but after similar problems, I went to DaVinci preferences, and set gpu processing to CUDA (previously set to auto), Gpu selection set to AUTO. The problems started occuring after installing the 17 beta version with the change of graphics card, but I later reverted back to 15.3.

Phantum966

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 8:34 pm

So I found something that also happens for me when the playback freezes. I have a circle mask on one of my videos. This video is revealed and then hidden through out the project. When I go over this video the circle masking is gone and the video is shown as a the original cropped square then the playback freezes and I have to restart the program.

One other thing that seems to happen each time the playback freezes is that after I close and then try to restart the program, the restart also freezes and I have to go into my task manager, end the Davinci task and then I can restart the program.

I'm not sure if any of this helps, but I am trying anything and everything to keep my workflow going. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Phantum966

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 3:28 pm

Okay, so again I'm not sure if this is even relevant, but I figure more information is better.

I had the playback freezing problem again this morning when I moved the video track with the added ellipse mask. When I restarted the program I went into fusion and disconnected the mask from that video (no deleted, just disconnected) and was able to finish the project without issue.

Weird.

Thanks for listening. I hope a solution is found soon.

edoardonave

PostMon Mar 01, 2021 6:09 pm

Phantum966 wrote:Okay, so again I'm not sure if this is even relevant, but I figure more information is better.

I had the playback freezing problem again this morning when I moved the video track with the added ellipse mask. When I restarted the program I went into fusion and disconnected the mask from that video (no deleted, just disconnected) and was able to finish the project without issue.

Weird.

Thanks for listening. I hope a solution is found soon.

Yes! I was looking for this comment. Same for polygon, I tracked a mask made with it and playback got stuck. If I bypass the polygon node (CTRL + P) I can work again.

Sampenguin

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 8:35 pm

I'm seeing this behavior as well. I just bought Studio 17, and am working on a relatively simple ~15 minute video as a learning project. It seems like the problem in my case is I attempted to throw a transparent PNG onto the timeline in the Edit page, and then every playback window in the entire program stopped updating.

This seems like a relatively major bug, disappointed to run into it on my first day of using it. Might have to go back to Premiere :(

lawrencehlee

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 4:43 pm

I also experienced the same issue, but since I changed my Nvidia driver from the Game Ready Driver to the Studio Driver, it hasn't happened again.

This error was showing up in the logs:
Code: Select all
[0x00001b40] | GPU.SingleBoardMgr   | ERROR | 2021-04-16 13:26:26,868 | DVIP exception caught:
DVIP Exception: OpenCL error
 - API: OpenCL
 - API Error Code: CL_OUT_OF_RESOURCES (-5)
 - Call stack:
   00007FF795BC168D
   00007FF795C4EAA7
   00007FF7979AD5A8
   00007FF79790B121
   00007FF7978E0B98
   00007FF797677506
   00007FF797674A56
   00007FF797675F58
   00007FF797671A69
   00007FFCD1AA1BB2
   00007FFCD35A7034

Urgent message: The GPU failed to perform image processing because of an error.||Error Code: -5.
OpenCL error -5: 'CL_OUT_OF_RESOURCES', C:\jenkins\workspace\resolve\Resolve\Cyclone\IP\GPUManager\OpenCLBoardManager.cpp:225.
[0x00001b40] | GPU.SingleBoardMgr   | ERROR | 2021-04-16 13:26:26,868 | Unhandled board manager exception "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070" (gpu:cd5680a4.5150080d): OpenCL Error

cire30a

PostThu Feb 24, 2022 7:01 pm

this is happening still with 17.4.4 on mac mojave and amd gpu. it seems you nvidia fix worked for yourself... any options for amd on mac gpu's?

cire30a

PostThu Feb 24, 2022 8:59 pm

i noticed the playback freeze hasnt happened yet when i lowered 4k display output lower, close to 3000 or below. maybe some more work is needed in that area

ballstadt

PostMon Apr 17, 2023 2:35 pm

I began having this problem a few months ago, but I was chalking it up to a base-level M1 Mac Mini just not having the horsepower to work with my timelines. Projects are predominantly BRAW from a Pocket 6K and some Fusion title templates from motionvfx.com.

So yesterday I swapped it out with a brand new Mac Studio, M1 Max with 32GB of RAM and the 32-core GPU. Everything was installed clean, no migration. I did copy my previous project database to the internal drive and connect it in the Project Manager. Footage is all on external drives.

And still I'm having the problem. Even with just a single motionvfx template on a 23.976 UHD timeline. From the jump, it plays back smoothly vs the Mac mini that wouldn't play it without rendering. But then it just stops playing. The play indicator still shows it is playing back. If I click stop, play, whatever, JKL, anything, nothing changes. I have to restart to get it back.

TekTurek

PostTue Apr 18, 2023 10:44 am

ballstadt wrote:And still I'm having the problem. Even with just a single motionvfx template on a 23.976 UHD timeline. From the jump, it plays back smoothly vs the Mac mini that wouldn't play it without rendering.

Hey Travis, could you send more detailed info about this issue to MotionVFX Support? We'll try to figure out what's going on and how to improve our stuff. Remember the higher the resolution you work on the more performance fusion needs, for example 4k is 4x heavier than fullhd.

Anyway please send the details to us, and we'll try to help.

Thanks
-
Resolve Team Leader at MotionVFX

Return to DaVinci Resolve