Face Refinement Mask Issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nate Follmer

Face Refinement Mask Issue

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 6:54 pm

Having a strange problem with the Face Refinement tool in Resolve 14. It never seems to generate a 'face mask', but if I change any of the settings (Smoothing, Detail size, Detail, Contrast) it'll pop a quick face mask up for a second, then disappear again (if I have Show Mask and Use Face Mask selected). It tracks perfectly and the overlay looks flawless. Here's some screenshots:

FaceRefinement.jpg
FaceRefinement.jpg (743.79 KiB) Viewed 2100 times

If I use the tool without the face mask selected, I can do the basic functions, like smoothing, but none of the other features work.

System Specs:

iMac 3.5GHz Intel i5
32GB DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M290X
500GB SSD
Resolve 14.0.0.078
OS Sierra 10.12.6

Marc Wielage

Re: Face Refinement Mask Issue

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 1:26 am

Is this a laptop? My memory is that the Radeon is not a very powerful GPU.

In fairness, I have seen the Face Refinement mode occasionally fail even on the MacPro with AMD D700 GPUs, but usually a second try brings it back (but not always).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Nate Follmer

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 6:26 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:Is this a laptop? My memory is that the Radeon is not a very powerful GPU.

In fairness, I have seen the Face Refinement mode occasionally fail even on the MacPro with AMD D700 GPUs, but usually a second try brings it back (but not always).

No, this is on my iMac (Late 2014 27"). I haven't tried it on my MBP yet, but it has an nVidia card in it, but the other specs are almost similar (minus the RAM, it only has 16GB). I guess I should have tested it there too :)

Uli Plank

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 12:01 am

The older iMacs have GPUs made for mobile, only the 2017 models have better ones.
Check how much VRAM you have.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Marc Wielage

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 2:24 am

Nate Follmer wrote:No, this is on my iMac (Late 2014 27"). I haven't tried it on my MBP yet, but it has an nVidia card in it, but the other specs are almost similar (minus the RAM, it only has 16GB). I guess I should have tested it there too :)

My opinion is that an iMac of this vintage doesn't have enough power for Resolve. You can work with very small files and non-demanding corrections to a point, but the moment you move into OFX filters, that puts a lot of stress on the GPUs. I think this would be challenging for a modern iMac (but possible with low-res material).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Nate Follmer

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 1:23 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Nate Follmer wrote:No, this is on my iMac (Late 2014 27"). I haven't tried it on my MBP yet, but it has an nVidia card in it, but the other specs are almost similar (minus the RAM, it only has 16GB). I guess I should have tested it there too :)

My opinion is that an iMac of this vintage doesn't have enough power for Resolve. You can work with very small files and non-demanding corrections to a point, but the moment you move into OFX filters, that puts a lot of stress on the GPUs. I think this would be challenging for a modern iMac (but possible with low-res material).

Thanks Marc. It's not a huge deal that I can't use it. I just didn't know if it was a bug that needed to be squashed, BUT maybe I could use this as a reason to get a new iMac :P

Return to DaVinci Resolve