GoPro clips not reconnecting via XML - Tried everything

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nick Montgomery

GoPro clips not reconnecting via XML - Tried everything

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 7:18 pm

I'm experiencing consistent errors when importing XML (from PrPro) into Davinci Resolve and have tried everything to troubleshoot it, short of contacting BM support directly.

Testing out the roundtrip workflow because I experienced the same issue on a previous project and had to manually re-sync MANY clips due to this issue. Trying to avoid that on this current project.

Got a Premiere timeline of various clips, including some GoPro footage (have tried transcoding to ProRes, ProResLT and ProRes Proxy with no change), export XML and tried importing into Davinci only to get many clips not connecting and the following error:

No overlap between specified target timecodes...and located file timecodes

Even though my project settings have these enabled:
- Use timecode: From the source clip frame count
- Assist using reel names from Source clip filename

Also have tried importing media and then importing XML. No change.

Other colourists I've consulted are baffled. Hoping someone can shed SOME light on this. Any help is incredibly appreciated.

Uli Plank

Re: GoPro clips not reconnecting via XML - Tried everything

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 2:58 am

I suppose some of your clips just have no proper TC and no reel/tape names, since the GoPro is not a pro camera, even if the name suggests. (Premiere still calls it tape).
BTW, some consumer cameras have it, like the newer Sony A7 series photo cameras.

It will never work if you don't prepare your source files by adding some information of that kind. I tend to fake it by adding the file generation time for TC and the file generation date for reel/tape, but you can always use something else for the latter, depending on your organizational approach.

For a Mac, you can use the really cheap software Mp4toQT, which will rewrap MP4 to .mov and add the needed information very quickly.

For a PC, use Dali's Mustache by hdcinematics. (yes, there are very rare things more expensive for a PC)

Some helpful information can also be found here: http://www.dcinema.me/2015/01/round-trip-workflow/
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 8:38 am

I've been running into this quite a bit... with Red footage. The data burn showed that the in point in a clip was at 15 seconds, when the clip was only 13 seconds... and I ran into that one a lot. I had to do most of the conforming visually using the data burn to identify the source clip, the timecode to get near the right frame, and then nudge to match.

Conforms from Premiere seem to be getting buggier with every Premiere update.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 9:14 am

Not sure if this is the case for you , but do you happen to have any retimed clips in there ? That is notoriously tricky to transfer between programs. Best is to render these clips out in the source software and bring these renders into the target.

Regarding rewrapping and adding timecode/reel info EditReady is also a great piece of software for the MAc i have been using for a long time now. And is lightning fast as well.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Nick Montgomery

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks for the help. I tossed a few clips through Encoder with "Set Start Timecode" checked, brought all of the clips through Premiere over to Davinci with a new XML and it seemed to work.

I was aware of GoPro's QT h.264 clips not playing nicely and needing to be transcoded, but didn't know that they needed to have new TC generated.

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 4:02 pm

Ah, cool you got it sorted !! Good to hear.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Uli Plank

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 12:07 am

Glad it works.
Just one remark: if your hardware can handle the h.264 smoothly, there is no need to transcode, only rewrap. Much faster and no generation loss.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve