v14 ignores instruction to render In/Out range

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PalmerWoodrow

v14 ignores instruction to render In/Out range

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 10:57 pm

In attempting to find a solution to the export of wrong audio, I set my timeline's In and Out point to mark a brief segment, and attempted to render it by picking "In/Out Range" in the Render field on the Deliver page.

InOut.png
InOut.png (73.96 KiB) Viewed 6674 times

As soon as I press "Start Render," the Render field switches to "Entire Timeline."

Come on, guys:

This is on Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra).
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

PeterMoretti

Re: v14 ignores instruction to render In/Out range

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 11:22 pm

You have to set new In and Outs on the Deliver Page.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

PalmerWoodrow

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 11:34 pm

Thanks, Peter.

I'm rendering right now, so I can't try that. But it's ridiculous.

Another glaring problem is that the rendering-range selection belongs in the render job; so why is it hanging out in the middle of the screen above the timeline? What if you want to render a segment in the first job, and then the whole thing in the second?

Do you set all of your rendering parameters in the (already disorganized) job-parameters pane on the left and then run over to the render-range drop down and set that, and then roll back to the left pane and press "Add to Render Queue?"

Once again in the left pane, you switch your parameters around, then run back to the render-range drop-down in the middle and and change it and then run back to the left pane to add the next job to the queue? WTF?

Clearly I needed to revise this, to put the render range where it belongs:

Resolve render suggestion.png
Resolve render suggestion.png (397.86 KiB) Viewed 6648 times
Last edited by PalmerWoodrow on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

JP Perry

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 12:04 am

I've had trouble with this as well, and also didn't realize you have to set in/out points in the Deliver page instead of the Edit page. You're right, that is poor UI design and aught to be addressed!
Gray Cat Films | www.graycatfilms.com
MacPro 12-core | AMD RX 580 | 32GB | DeckLink Mini | Flanders CM170 | Tangent Ripple | OS X Mojave

PeterMoretti

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 12:45 am

PalmerWoodrow wrote:Thanks, Peter.

I'm rendering right now, so I can't try that. But it's absolutely ridiculous.

At first I thought so too, but once explained to me, I think it actually makes sense. Essentially, In and Out on points the Edit Page have to do with editing not rendering. So it's best to have Deliver Page have its own set of In and Out points that don't interfere with those on the Edit Page.

BTW, this behavior also exists on the Fairlight Page.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 1:21 am

If you already have a render item in the queue, click the "pencil" change icon and you can manually see what the In and Out points are in the upper left of the Viewer screen.

I find it's a good idea to first hit option-X to remove any in and out points before starting a render, and then you should be able to mark an in and mark and out without any problems. Only when the In and Out are marked should you hit the Add to Render Queue button -- otherwise, it's going to generally assume you want the whole timeline.
Last edited by Marc Wielage on Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

PalmerWoodrow

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 1:57 am

Thanks for the replies.

Whether it's sensible or not, the UI is still defective in that:

1. It allows you to select "Timeline In/Out" when the In and Out aren't set. If this were disabled, the user would be compelled to find out why, and thus discover the necessity for setting new ones. That's the whole idea of greying things out when they're inapplicable.

2. The rendering range should be specified as part of the render settings of a particular job, not for the entire application. Therefore it doesn't belong in the middle of the screen over the timeline, disassociated from the render job.
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

PeterMoretti

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 6:12 pm

PalmerWoodrow wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Whether it's sensible or not, the UI is still defective in that:

1. It allows you to select "Timeline In/Out" when the In and Out aren't set. If this were disabled, the user would be compelled to find out why, and thus discover the necessity for setting new ones. That's the whole idea of greying things out when they're inapplicable.

Actually In and Out are set. They are set by default on the Deliver Page to the length of the entire timeline.

You can see them there between the timecode numbers and the top track of video.

PalmerWoodrow

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 8:01 pm

Then

A. It should be shaded, the way the timeline is on the Edit page when you set an In and Out.
B. The Render field shouldn't magically switch from "In/Out points" to "Entire timeline." If there are In and Out points, even encompassing the entire timeline, this isn't necessary, is it?

I can understand having separate In/Out points on the two pages. But as it stands, the UI deprives the user of important information that could easily be conveyed by simply disabling "In/Out points" for rendering until the user sets real In/Out points on the Deliver page.
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

PeterMoretti

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 8:33 pm

I do agree it could/should be clearer. But it's manageable the way it, esp. since there isn't some workaround or difficult remember thing to do. It's just note to self, the Deliver Page already has default In and Out points set.

Cameron Porter

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 8:59 pm

I also find it annoying that the deliver page in/out settings are not inherited from the edit timeline. Everybody has different workflows, I guess, but I can't think of a reason besides rendering to set I/O on the edit timeline...

Resolve is the only program I use that I can't set the I/O on the main timeline and then render it. Consequently, I often start a rendering job, check back after it's taking longer than I expected it to, only to find that it's rendering the entire timeline instead of the I/O points I set on the edit page. While not a huge problem, I do find it to be a constant annoyance.

PalmerWoodrow

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 10:30 pm

Cameron Porter wrote:I can't think of a reason besides rendering to set I/O on the edit timeline...
Resolve is the only program I use that I can't set the I/O on the main timeline and then render it.

I couldn't think of a good reason either, but concocted an excuse that vaguely amounts to: Maybe you're making editorial adjustments on the Edit page using the In/Outs there; but re-rendering a troublesome (and potentially different) section of your timeline repeatedly in order to check the results until they're satisfactory.

Pretty weak justification, I guess.

As far as these little "note to self" issues go: Yes, taken in isolation, they seem minor. But Resolve is replete with these note-to-self issues, to the point where doing a render becomes a tedious hunt all over the UI for something that will waste hours of your life. These wouldn't be hard to clean up; thus my suggestion for the render pane above. But I don't see much interest from BlackMagic in doing so, and that's disappointing.
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

Timothy Montoya

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 11:05 pm

Those little "note to self"s are just how the software is laid out. Learning how to use a software is figuring out what all these bits are, and how to properly control them. Complaining that some features/controls/etc are not where you want them to be, or where X program has them is just refusal to properly learn the software.

Resolve has been laid out like this for as long as I can remember, and I'm sure BMD has better things to focus its efforts on (bug fixes) than change the layout to appease a few, and frustrate many

PeterMoretti

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 5:41 am

PalmerWoodrow wrote:I couldn't think of a good reason either, but concocted an excuse that vaguely amounts to: Maybe you're making editorial adjustments on the Edit page using the In/Outs there; but re-rendering a troublesome (and potentially different) section of your timeline repeatedly in order to check the results until they're satisfactory.

Pretty weak justification, I guess.

As far as these little "note to self" issues go: Yes, taken in isolation, they seem minor. But Resolve is replete with these note-to-self issues, to the point where doing a render becomes a tedious hunt all over the UI for something that will waste hours of your life. These wouldn't be hard to clean up; thus my suggestion for the render pane above. But I don't see much interest from BlackMagic in doing so, and that's disappointing.

Palmer, rendering is insanely simple in Resolve. Try getting a good looking H.264 out of Avid Media Composer, it's an effing nightmare. Actually it's impossible w/o using a third party app. Which means creating a QT reference file, which may or may not open. Or rendering uncompressed, which is huge. Or rendering to a high quality version of DNxHD, which might create color and gamma shifts in the footage. That's no "concocted excuse," that's reality.

There are important things for BMD to focus on that really are causing people to waste many hours of their lives. But needing to remember to mark In and Out points on the Deliver Page when you choose on the Deliver Page to render In to Out is not one of them. And that's not a concocted excuse either.

Tero Ahlfors

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 5:54 am

Cameron Porter wrote:I also find it annoying that the deliver page in/out settings are not inherited from the edit timeline. Everybody has different workflows, I guess, but I can't think of a reason besides rendering to set I/O on the edit timeline...

Resolve is the only program I use that I can't set the I/O on the main timeline and then render it. Consequently, I often start a rendering job, check back after it's taking longer than I expected it to, only to find that it's rendering the entire timeline instead of the I/O points I set on the edit page. While not a huge problem, I do find it to be a constant annoyance.

Resolve is also probably the only program you use that has these feature sets in a single program. I can't think of a reason why the I/O points should be same for every page because every page has different functions for them. If I am making a three point edit on the edit page and leave the points there what use would there be to mirror those to let's say the color or the deliver page?

This isn't a Resolve issue. It's a user/workflow issue.

John Paines

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 1:48 pm

The other issue here is that Deliver page requires in/outs to be on cut points -- you can't set in/out points in the middle of clips, as is possible on the Edit page. So there wouldn't be accurate translation between the two pages.

The value of unique settings on each page is felt when this convention isn't observed. For example, deselecting a video track on the color page also turns it off on the Edit page, which you probably don't want, if the track was deselected on Color so it doesn't get in the way of grading a lower track.

PalmerWoodrow

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 11:39 pm

Tero Ahlfors wrote:Resolve is also probably the only program you use that has these feature sets in a single program.

Eh, not really. We're only talking about editing and rendering here, and Premiere also offers to render between the In & Out points.

Tero Ahlfors wrote:If I am making a three point edit on the edit page and leave the points there what use would there be to mirror those to let's say the color or the deliver page?

I agree with that, which is exactly the reasoning I mentioned above to justify having them separate. Resolve just needs to clean up the UI so the situation is clear to the user.

John Paines wrote:The other issue here is that Deliver page requires in/outs to be on cut points -- you can't set in/out points in the middle of clips, as is possible on the Edit page.

Really? I don't see why that should be the case. Even if you've selected "individual clips," the clips will indeed be trimmed as they are on the Edit page. So it's not as if Resolve is trying to preserve file length or something.
4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Areca Thunderbolt RAID

Cameron Porter

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 4:52 pm

Tero Ahlfors wrote:
This isn't a Resolve issue. It's a user/workflow issue.

It's not one or the other; the issue is that the design of Resolve is not fitting my workflow...and isn't the entire point of forum discussions to help each other learn the software and seed ideas for future releases?

I obviously can't speak for Palmer but I love Davinci Resolve. That doesn't mean it's perfect, nor does it mean that criticism of something we think should be changed is invalid.

If resolve was the only software I used, it would be a lot easier to remember to not bother setting I/O until the deliver page, and sometimes I do remember, but when I'm bouncing from Premiere to Resolve to AEFX to Final cut depending on the project, and Resolve is the only program where you can't set the render I/O from the editing timeline, it's hard to remember.

Place the blame on whatever you want; the bottom line is, this is a pain point for me, Palmer, and probably other people as well.

Could a good solution be for the Deliver page I/O to default to the edit page settings, but still allow them to be changed from the Deliver page? That seems to me like it would add options without disrupting the existing workflow.

Felix Kruft

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 12:12 pm

Hello guys. I'm encountering the same problem as the threadstarter.

I set IN and OUT on the deliver page timeline, still the program automatically sets the timeline until the end of the last clip in my project and switches to entire timeline rendering when I start the render process.

What can I do to solve this problem? Thanks in advance!

PalmerWoodrow

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 2:29 am

PeterMoretti wrote:There are important things for BMD to focus on that really are causing people to waste many hours of their lives. But needing to remember to mark In and Out points on the Deliver Page when you choose on the Deliver Page to render In to Out is not one of them.

Apparently not everyone agrees. And regardless of whether you think the current functionality is helpful or not (I see justification for both sides of the argument), the UI sucks.

Fixing the illogical or nonexistent organization of many UI elements in Resolve would go a long, long way toward saving users' time and reducing their annoyance.

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 4:39 am

Felix, on the Resolve / Deliver page after setting the In and Out, did you also make sure the dropdown above the timeline indicates “Use In/Out?” For some reason the dropdown is likely set to “Entire Timeline.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Felix Kruft

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 10:30 am

rick.lang wrote:Felix, on the Resolve / Deliver page after setting the In and Out, did you also make sure the dropdown above the timeline indicates “Use In/Out?” For some reason the dropdown is likely set to “Entire Timeline.”

yes, but I think I found my mistake. I've made the change to the timeline/render area AFTER the project was added to the queue. Now I opened the project, set everything to my liking and it worked instantly :)

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 10:20 pm

Yes, you need to update your Render program after any setting change. Glad that was a simple solution too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 1:16 am

Which is quite logical, considering that you may want to render two versions from different areas.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve