AAF Export Not Linking to Rendered Media

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

George Costakis

AAF Export Not Linking to Rendered Media

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 11:17 pm

I seem to have run into an issue with AAF media linking that I've not encountered before. I'm still currently on 12.5.3.014 to let R14 shake out any lingering release bugs etc, but have never ran into this particular problem to my memory. I've imported timelines provided by an Avid editor via their associative AAFs. After grading the pieces, I rendered out to individual clips in ProRes4444 with handles as this is what the editor was requesting back, went back to the Edit page and exported both an AAF and "Generate a New AAF" just for backup (as I have always done before). Upon testing the exported AAFs back in DaVinci, they both are still linking to the original camera original media and not the newly created renders. What's even more odd, is that as a test, I exported an XML instead and found that on reimport that it DOES link to the rendered media, but not all of it. A handfull of clips in several timelines do not link DESPITE there being associative rendered media (with unique filenames). I thought that this specific issue might be because the source media for some of those clips were from .mp4s that may not have had proper timecode, but then found that the problem persisted in media that was also from the Alexa… I've done this workflow countless times and am a total loss at the moment and am wondering if anyone has encountered this issue (unless I'm just completely blanking on something here). It seems to be the same regardless of having "Disable Edit and Input Sizing" checked or not. Thanks for any assistance.
Resolve 15.2.2 | MacPro 5,2 OSX 10.12.6 (16G1212) | 3.46GHz 12 Core 64GB | GTX Titan X 12GB | GTX 1080 Ti 10GB (Cubix) | GTX 980Ti 6GB (Cubix) | Flanders CM500TD | Blackmagic DeckLink Extreme 3D+ | Areca RAID | DaVinci Advanced Control Surface

George Costakis

Re: AAF Export Not Linking to Rendered Media

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 9:21 pm

I guess I'll update myself. Looks like an update to 12.5.6.017 did the trick and addressed the issue - for some reason I thought I had already applied that update to this machine but apparently missed it.
Resolve 15.2.2 | MacPro 5,2 OSX 10.12.6 (16G1212) | 3.46GHz 12 Core 64GB | GTX Titan X 12GB | GTX 1080 Ti 10GB (Cubix) | GTX 980Ti 6GB (Cubix) | Flanders CM500TD | Blackmagic DeckLink Extreme 3D+ | Areca RAID | DaVinci Advanced Control Surface

Return to DaVinci Resolve