time for a paid Support!!!!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kolja georges

time for a paid Support!!!!

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 1:14 pm

HI

i Know lots will be angry when reading that we are asking for an optional paid support, but honestly when you are on a deadline and you are facing a crucial issue that needs an instant involvement from the support team and when you try everything thing you knows and read all manuals and googles all subject regarding this problem, and the read every single thread on the forum but still you can't solve the issue on your own, you need a support team that is ready to help instantly. this service I am gladly happy to pay for it if it will save me time and energy.

We never faced a problem exporing to Protool From FCp , Premiere and Avid , so why do we need to suffer that much to export to pro tool from Resolve. We tried every possible option , deliver to protools, deliver AAf then to pro tool, deliver to PPr then topro tool.
all our trials has failed.
Premiere avid and Fcp has the option of building an embeded AAf or Omf file for Protools that saves us lots of time.
Ok Resolve introduced Fairlight and we can see all track in Fairlight but unfortunalty we dont have User who know failrligt like Protool yet. we cant take risks learning a new tool in the middle of a production.

we have 30 episode that we need to send to protool, 10 already finished editing, we decide to move the remaining 20episode with all inconvenience to a different editing platform to avoid again this frustration in exporting to pro tool.

any advise is appreciated, Bmd Support team please advise.

regards
Georges Kolja

Jim Simon

Re: time for a paid Support!!!!

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 1:23 pm

I wouldn't mind having some form of Paid Incident Support for the free version either.

Some type of support (communicating directly with a BM employee) should be included by default with the Studio version.
Last edited by Jim Simon on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Julian van Mil

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 1:32 pm

+1
Studio Feather
www.studiofeather.com

Micha Clazing

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 2:36 pm

Using the contact form on the site I have always got an answer within 3 hours, and there is telephone support as well. I don't see the problem?

Paul Ingvarsson

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 2:47 pm

I would say the problem is the lack of testing a workflow before committing an untested one to a 30 part series. Sorry to be blunt but this is the reality of the situation.

I reckon if you posed a hypothetical question to users here 'Hey I want to cut 30 episodes in resolve then audio post in ProTools' you'd get many people saying you'd be crazy to rely on that workflow.

P.S. I wish it did work, but it never has and i'm not surprised it doesn't for you either.
Paul Ingvarsson
StormHD
Strongbox DX-G (Dual e5-2690 v3 64GB)
RTX3090 | Decklink 4K Pro
Eizo CG3145
Resolve 17.3.1
Windows 10 Pro 19042.1202

Kolja georges

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 4:19 pm

Paul Ingvarsson wrote:I would say the problem is the lack of testing a workflow before committing an untested one to a 30 part series. Sorry to be blunt but this is the reality of the situation.

I reckon if you posed a hypothetical question to users here 'Hey I want to cut 30 episodes in resolve then audio post in ProTools' you'd get many people saying you'd be crazy to rely on that workflow.

P.S. I wish it did work, but it never has and i'm not surprised it doesn't for you either.

Absolutly true, however we did lots of tests on editing In Resolve before but never on audio export to protool...I mean this is just file translations, never expected this complication with a software claiming to replace FCP and competing fercely with Avid and Prp we never thought we will face this issue in the last phase.
Yet!!!! we must say that resolve was very stable through all the editing phase,,,,never crashes although
it was dealing with 30 episodes of different file formats and resolutions and 70tb of rushes. I have worked on all Editing platform none can handle all this data together. Editors where exchanging timeline
smoothly . Sending timeline to grading is instant on a shared storage. We faced at the begining a big issue with using the Audio sync tool, so once we used other syncing tool things worked smoothly.
But honestly never expeted this issue with Protool ....
all this said BMD should know what we are facing and works on finding us a solution....
Last edited by Kolja georges on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georges Kolja

Marc Wielage

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 3:52 am

I have asked before if a paid support program would be possible -- particularly one that operated 24/7 -- and was told no. My impression is that Blackmagic wants to be in the product business, not in the paid support business. I personally would like to see it happen, even if it was $1/minute or something like that.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Magnus Predikaka

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 8:15 am

Agree!

Jim Simon

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 3:17 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:Blackmagic wants to be in the product business, not in the paid support business.

Here's the thing, though. Everyone in the product business is also in the support business. You either do it free, or charge money.

But you have to do it. It's not only required by law under certain conditions, but in all cases, not doing it is just bad business.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

PeterMoretti

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 7:03 pm

I think paid support is double edged sword. And I do applaud Grant Petty for seeing paid support as a way to suck more $ out of the customer. Think Resolve back in the day.

There is an inherent conflict of interest: support gets paid to fix problems, so problems (as long as they are not too bad) create a revenue stream. I've seen this happen in the Avid world.

That said, I do like the fact that if I have a problem with Media Composer, I have phone number that I can call that will put in touch with a technician who will try to fix the problem immediately. It gives a level of peace of mind when editing a large project.

And I'm sure if anyone working on large professional project under an absurdly tight deadline, e.g. "Game of Thrones", tried to switch editorial over from Avid to anything else, the show would quickly run into problems that would get said person fired.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

AndreasOberg

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 12:58 pm

Absolutly true, however we did lots of tests on editing In Resolve before but never on audio export to protool...I mean this is just file translations, never expected this complication with a software claiming to replace FCP and competing fercely with Avid and Prp we never thought we will face this issue in the last phase.
Yet!!!! we must say that resolve was very stable through all the editing phase,,,,never crashes although
it was dealing with 30 episodes of different file format and resolution and 70tb of rushes. I have worked on all Editing platform none can handle all this data together. editors where excahnging timeline
smoothly .

Great to know. I think the reality is that Resolve is still a very new editing solution so I'm not surprised there are problems. I had major headaches exporting from FCPX to Davinci for color grading so learnt the difficulties with exporting and importing. FCPX wasn't great either and had to have a plugin to export to Pro Tools and sometimes it had problems. FCPX also got very slow when I had a timeline of 100 clips 3 minute. Sometimes it took 5 seconds to highlight a clip which was frustrating.

Hopefully the Pro Tools export will get more solid soon. All our smaller projects we use Davinci for for editing and I really like it. The core is much better and the color grading is of course fantastic, but I do spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to work with proxies, optimised files where in FCPX things just worked pretty well out of the box.

Cheers
/Andreas
VFX Director - Visual Forest Ltd

Marc Wielage

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 8:58 am

PeterMoretti wrote:I think paid support is double edged sword. And I do applaud Grant Petty for seeing paid support as a way to suck more $ out of the customer. Think Resolve back in the day. There is an inherent conflict of interest: support gets paid to fix problems, so problems (as long as they are not too bad) create a revenue stream. I've seen this happen in the Avid world.

All I can say is, if I have a problem with a project on Saturday night that absolutely, positively must deliver on Monday morning at 9AM, but I have a major software malfunction, I would gladly pay a whole lotta money for the privilege of talking to a human who could work out a solution. I don't dispute it would be a huge amount of trouble for Blackmagic, given that there are many thousands of people all around the world, all living in different time zones and speaking different languages.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Kolja georges

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 5:19 pm

Micha Clazing wrote:Using the contact form on the site I have always got an answer within 3 hours, and there is telephone support as well. I don't see the problem?

We use to get 24hour response at first with version 8 and 9 but later sometimes we are not getting replies and sometimes we are getting replies after 2 or 3 weeks with an excuse for the delay.

thats the problem!!!!!
Georges Kolja

Return to DaVinci Resolve