Write permission problem with exfat drive

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Yuval Barak

Write permission problem with exfat drive

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 11:10 pm

Hello. I encountered a problem today regarding the permissions of an external drive. Im using an iMac with Sierra. I was testing a round tripping workflow from Media Composer (8.4.4). I imported an AAF with a single clip, An AMA-linked Sony FS7's clip. I did some grading and when I went up to the Delivery page and tried to Render it to my external drive (On which I render from resolve a short film a few days ago with no problem), it gave me this error:
DaVinci Resolve is unable to render to the selected path "/Volumes/(me hd)/effect workflow aaf/resolve round trip" as it does not have write permission. Please ensure that DaVinci Resolve has write permission for the path selected and the first drive you list in Preferences.

The render setting I used were:
Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 2.03.24.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 2.03.24.png (48.7 KiB) Viewed 1926 times

I tried an Avid AAF and got the same results. I tried changing the render drive to my HDD and got the same results. Only when I changed the setting from "Individual clips" to "Single clip" it did the trick.

Thank you very much. Yuval.
Resolve 14 (free). iMac (27-inch, Late 2013). 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 with 8 GB RAM. NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB.

NykFry

Re: Write permission problem with exfat drive

PostFri May 18, 2018 9:44 pm

Resolve 15b 3. Win 10. Fresh install of resolve: dreaded, historically repeating, (note posts about this from years ago) ubiquitous "path permissions" problem. It simply will not change paths in project settings (although it will in preferences) from a drive which is no longer on the system. It keeps telling me I don't have permission. Restoring the offending (removable) drive to the system makes the error go away, and yet browsing and setting the path doesn't change it (although with the drive connected it doesn't error). Removing the drive obviously reverts to the error. Such a pity, as this doesn't give me any confidence in utilizing Resolve for mission critical projects -- I was given this project to work on and welcomed the opportunity, but with a few other rickety issues I can't help but think it's still not quite there. I believe it will be good one day!

Jack Fairley

PostFri May 18, 2018 10:05 pm

I'm sure the post production teams behind the countless feature films made with Resolve also hope it will be good one day. Try not using the beta versions if you have a mission critical project.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Uli Plank

PostSat May 19, 2018 2:12 am

IMHO, the developers should look into that error message and make a difference between a missing path or missing permission.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve