Audio Interface not being recognized properly

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mike Major

Audio Interface not being recognized properly

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 4:08 pm

Howdy all,

To fulfill the basic requirements here:

DaVinci Resolve 14.0.0.78; Mac OS 10.12.6 on 6 core Mac Pro (2010). 32GB RAM. Video ATI Radeon HD 5870.

For starters I am an audio professional of 30 years now and am surprised that the only problem I cannot solve with DaVinci Resolve is audio-related! My audio interface is a Metric Halo ULN-2 connected via FW400. I use this interface for all of my other mixing and mastering work and it works flawlessly with ProTools 11, Nuendo 8, DSP Quattro 4 and even Garage Band (not to mention it's my computer soundcard, in effect). I have used it for over 10 years with no issues whatsoever. Sonically it's a mastering grade convertor...high end stuff here!

I was using Resolve 12.5 with no issues but recently updated my OS to 10.12 so I downloaded and installed Resolve 14. Now, for some reason, I can only get dual mono or mono (left channel only) out of DaVinci via the Fairlight interface. When I try to set up the speakers or outputs or busses it only gives me one available output-despite the fact that the interface has 6 discrete outputs. When I select the single output as my monitor out (or main direct, or anything) it treats it as a mono or dual mono output. I can see in the mixer that the program within the mixer is stereo (the meters bear that out) but the actual output is being summed as a dual mono output.

Even stranger, when I go back to the edit page, all audio is mono out of the left side only.

There seems to be no way to add more outputs or to split a stereo output (as Resolve/Fairlight sees it) into two discrete outputs. The drop down menus only offer the one output.

Now before anyone says there's a problem with my interface, remember that it works perfectly with every other workstation I have.

Any ideas? I may have to go back to 12.5, which would be a bummer.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Audio Interface not being recognized properly

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 6:14 am

Have you set up the speaker config in preferences to match your output device?
And a main bus to match?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Dmitry Shijan

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 8:26 am

It seems a serious bug in resolve 14. there are so many similar reports about same problem. My sound FW card also visible as one mono channel as described here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=64749#p365473

Mike Major

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 7:54 pm

Sorry for the late reply here; I never got a notification that anyone had replied!

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Have you set up the speaker config in preferences to match your output device?
And a main bus to match?

Yeah, I've done all of that. It won't show more than a single mono output. I can add busses but the limitation continues to be a single mono output. When I export, the audio is fine, but DaVinci won't recognize the multiple outputs that are available on my ULN, no matter what.

I may have to get a cheap digital interface and send S/PDIF to my Metric Halo as a workaround. I think it must be a FW 400 thing. Too bad.

Thanks to you both. I give!

Return to DaVinci Resolve