FCP7 XML to Resolve14 missing audio tracks

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Todd Debonis

FCP7 XML to Resolve14 missing audio tracks

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 3:31 pm

New to Resolve because of the death of FCP7 and High Sierra.
Exporting my projects from FCP7 XML over to Resolve14 works except for audio

only 1 out of any 2channel audio tracks associated with a clip in the the FCP Timeline end up in Resolve14.
So some O/C interviews have no audio -depending what channel (1 or 2) said audio was on in the FCP7 timeline.

Is there a way to fix this?

Relinking the clip in Resolve14 bin does not seem to bring back the missing track.

I need left/right channels to import.

thanks in advance.

Todd Debonis

Re: FCP7 XML to Resolve14 missing audio tracks

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 6:34 pm

Just a follow up to be clearer.
I used FCP7 media manager to gathered/export the media from FCP7 into a new folder to consolidate the project. The original media was NTSC DV--so the source files from FCP7 are .mov (old stuff,I know...)

I exported the FCP7 timeline as XML to the same consolidated media folder.

imported the new XML into DR14

All video is properly imported to the timeline.
BUT Audio from several video clips is missing.

Previewing the clips with missing audio in DR14 shows no audio

checking the source clips in the HD media folder proves sound is present for each clip

trying to relink the clip in the DR14 bin to the source clip on the HD does not work (don't know why, but nothing happens)

Dragging the source clip into the DR14 bin --and previewing it --does have sound.
but again, I cannot re-associate it to the soundless clip in the timeline. I don't think DR14 can do that as FCP7 could

nor can I reference/reassign/relink a clip in the bin to a different/alternate source file with verified audio.

So that's the situation.

all source clips do have sound
imported project clips via XML are missing audio in some cases on the timeline.
"relink" to the working source file does not fix the audio (not sure this feature even works)
can't relink clip in the bin to a alternate file with sound (doesn't seem to be a possible option in DR14)

again, thanks in advance

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 5:29 am

If you manually drag the media pool clip into the edit timeline do you hear the audio?
If not, check clip attributes for the clip, and that the correct audio track type is used for that type of clip.

If sounds like you have stereo clips in mono tracks.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Todd Debonis

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 3:45 pm

Hello Peter

If I manually drag the clip from the media pool that is the result of the imported XML -- there is no audio.

If I manually place the actual source clip from its folder on the HD into the media pool and then drag that clip to the timeline-- there is audio.

So, there is audio-- just not coming from the media pool clip that was created by the imported XML.

The original video clip is from mini-DV -- 2 mic inputs (channel 1 -channel-2)
In FCP7 both tracks (display) In Resolve14 (imported XML)-- only 1 track is on the timeline-- (the empty one)

If I'm understanding you, I only need to change the Resolve audio track type to easily fix this? Please elaborate how, and I will also look online for a tut how to do this.

I'm looking forward to porting all my FCP7 work Resolve14 (never cared for FCPX) -- but need the program to correctly reproduce the audio track timeline when importing the XML.

kind regards

TODD

Todd Debonis

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 4:54 pm

Hi Peter--

I made a new project

dropped one clip - the original .mov into media bin

orginal.png
orginal.png (421.57 KiB) Viewed 1354 times

Allowed the timeline to conform to clip's settings

dropped the clip on the timeline --- result - video --no audio.

makes no difference if I change audio track type to mono or stereo

so......... I'm stumped... original clip plays in Quicktime. Plays in FCP7. Doesn't play in Resolve14

no audio.png
no audio.png (58.76 KiB) Viewed 1354 times

timeline.png
timeline.png (142.47 KiB) Viewed 1354 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve