Recommended plugins for Fairlight

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

John Paines

Re: Recommended plugins for Fairlight

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 3:00 pm

If the only way to get reliable playback and rendering with vst plugins will be with some future Fairlight card, I wish BMD would say so.

As things stand, every setting, and every combination of settings among plugins, would have to be tested, track by track. And then in combinations of tracks. And some plugins, like de-click, couldn't be used at all at present-- who's going to calculate the latency and adjust accordingly for every instance?

Reynaud Venter

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 3:10 pm

John Paines wrote:And some plugins, like de-click, couldn't be used at all at present-- who's going to calculate the latency and adjust accordingly for every instance?
Alternative workflows involve using RX in standalone mode, process and prepare assets within the RX application before importing in to Resolve's Media Pool.

Many RX users follow a similar workflow using the RX Connect plugin, whether working with ProTools HDX, Nuendo, Pyramix, and others. Almost all user reports are that the RX plugins are unusable within the host application.

Pyramix and SADiE are apparently the worst offenders, where RX plugins crash the host application.

The same issues you describe are present within Premiere, and RX users employ alternative methods to using the individual plugins within the DAW or NLE.

A few years back, Izotope sent out a survey concerning how people use RX plugins, and the result of that survey was the RX Connect plugin.

Apparently the vast majority of RX users now employ this method over using the individual plugins, even ProTools HDX users where the host provides Automatic Delay Compensation.

⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Jean Claude

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 3:32 pm

Hoping it helps:
https://www.izotope.com/en/support/know ... solve.html
(OK he's talking about RX 5 ...)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

John Paines

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 3:40 pm

To sum up:

"Any plug-in that’s not Dialogue De-noise should be avoided in realtime usage scenarios."

And if it doesn't work real-time, it won't work in renders either. It's probably less trouble, and certainly much safer, to do everything in the RX6 application.

The question is, will Resolve at least render correctly, at some point in the future?

Jean Claude

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 4:55 pm

Jean Claude wrote:Hoping it helps:
https://www.izotope.com/en/support/know ... solve.html
(OK he's talking about RX 5 ...)

OK he's talking about Davinci Resolve V12. Nothing for Davinci Resolve V14. :cry:
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

PeterMoretti

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 5:07 pm

Reynaud and Jean,

The issue is that that apparently Waves (at least) won't offer support for problems:

Ernie Whalley wrote:...
Maddening.
Waves won't help as they don't support DaVinci.

As for just trusting the plugins to work because they are VST, I know for a fact that OFX is not the same across all applications. It's an open standard, but it's not uniformly implemented. The same for other open standards like AAF. So while I don't know, I have a hard time believing that all VST applications work the same with all VST plugins.

The other thing is that it's a lot harder to notice inconsistencies with audio effects than it is with video effects. De-noising even when working properly but over applied by the user can create swimming and artifacting. Too much EQ can create artifacting. So sometimes its hard to determine if an audio effect is crapping out because there is a bug or because you've overdriven it.

I've heard odd results with RX6 that I just chalked up to the eventual artifacting that can occur. There are other accounts of clear problems. And I've read of problems with various plugins' UI's.

Ernie Whalley wrote:...
Resolve won't pick up H-reverb VSTs. H-reverb AUs work, sort of. When I go into expand mode to use the advanced features the expanded screen loads over the original one and jams the whole thing up. Actually that's not quite true - I have one clip, just one, where it works perfectly. I've examined all the settings but can't for the life of me see any difference.
Maddening.
Waves won't help as they don't support DaVinci.

Being able to get support from the plugin's maker is a must. And if not being an officially supported host prevents that from happening, then that is a big problem.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Reynaud Venter

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 5:15 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:Being able to get support from the plugin's maker is a must. And if not being an officially supported host prevents that from happening, then that is a big problem.
It's up to the plugin manufacturer to provide support and to test with and then qualify the plugin host with regards to compatibility with their plugins.

I've literally just been through this process recently with a certain go-to plugin, where a recent update broke compatibility with Resolve and other audio workstations.

Based on my understanding, Resolve implements the VST and AU standards within spec.

Waves support is one of the worst in the industry, and several workstations have issues with Waves plugins (even qualified ones).
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

rick.lang

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 2:25 pm

Had so many problems with iZotope RX Plugins VST (purchased a year ago and successfully used many times) on the latest version of Resolve 14.2, that I deleted every one and got my sync back and no more glitches on my deliverables. What a headache until I took a hatchet to them. They’re not supported and yet they used to work. Lesson learned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

John Paines

PostMon Dec 25, 2017 5:10 pm

I *thought* it was better in 12.5, but I wonder now.... Could be that, not suspecting anything, nobody looked hard enough.

What should be possible is audio caching in the timeline, so that the fx are correctly rendered. But whether that's of interest now to BMD, with the Fairlight card about to be offered, seems doubtful.

PeterMoretti

PostWed Dec 27, 2017 10:19 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:
PeterMoretti wrote:Being able to get support from the plugin's maker is a must. And if not being an officially supported host prevents that from happening, then that is a big problem.
It's up to the plugin manufacturer to provide support and to test with and then qualify the plugin host with regards to compatibility with their plugins.

I've literally just been through this process recently with a certain go-to plugin, where a recent update broke compatibility with Resolve and other audio workstations.

Based on my understanding, Resolve implements the VST and AU standards within spec.

Waves support is one of the worst in the industry, and several workstations have issues with Waves plugins (even qualified ones).

I honestly don't know how Waves and Izotope support hosts. And I don't know how BMD interacts with them.

But I do know is that when there is a problem, which there is bound to be, someone has to be available to respond. Apparently Waves is saying "Not us" and it seems likely (but I don't know) that Izotope will say the same.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 6:45 am

PeterMoretti wrote:But I do know is that when there is a problem, which there is bound to be, someone has to be available to respond. Apparently Waves is saying "Not us" and it seems likely (but I don't know) that Izotope will say the same.
Which is one of the multitude of reasons many users have moved on.

I choose to support those that stand behind their product.

rick.lang

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 5:15 pm

Reynard, can you summarize which plugins are vendor supported and you successfully use with Resolve 14 that do not involve any round-tripping (I’m trying to do all my work within Resolve)?

Thank you.

Rick Lang

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 5:44 pm

rick.lang wrote:you successfully use with Resolve 14 that do not involve any round-tripping
Which type of plugin are you wanting to use?

I have provided a selection of plugins in a previous post in this thread that are functional (and a few cases new builds were provided to improve compatibility with Resolve):
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=65095#p382028

Note: not a single developer in that list currently officially qualifies their plugins with Resolve, mainly due to the Resolve user base being too small for them to have received compatibility requests.
Last edited by Reynaud Venter on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Paines

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 5:57 pm

Reynard, your signature indicates you're a Mac user; have you tested those plugins with Windows/VST? And in combination? Seems like an impossible task.

The marketing copy for the Fairlight accelerator suggests that reliable real-time playback of VST plugins (up to 6 per track) will require the card. Whether that means plugins from third-parties or Resolve-supplied plugins isn't said.

Jean Claude

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 6:04 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:
rick.lang wrote:you successfully use with Resolve 14 that do not involve any round-tripping
Which type of plugin are you wanting to use?

I have provided a selection of plugins in a previous post in this thread that are functional (and a few cases new builds were provided to improve compatibility with Resolve):
http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewt ... 95#p382028

Note: not a single developer in that list currently officially qualifies their plugins with Resolve, mainly due to the Resolve user base being too small for them to have received compatibility requests.

+100

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 6:07 pm

John Paines wrote:Reynaud, your signature indicates you're a Mac user; have you tested those plugins with Windows/VST? And in combination? Seems like an impossible task.
Why would I test on a system I don’t intended to use?

I have tested both VST and AU on the two OS X versions listed in my signature.

Resolve's Linux build doesn’t support audio plugins, so I am unable to test that system yet.

The marketing copy for the Fairlight accelerator suggests that reliable real-time playback of VST plugins (up to 6 per track) will require the card
The card isn’t necessarily required on smaller Projects.

For a full Film Dub, though, the card would definitely be required, as Resolve ‘native’ maxes out at 256 Audio Tracks, and doesn’t provide full plugin delay compensation.

Whether that means plugins from third-parties or Resolve-supplied plugins isn't said.
If I recall Fairlight had a “Platinum” Partner Program to provide 3rd party developed plugin compatibility with the CC-1 Accelerator card. One participating developer, amusingly enough, was Waves.

Can’t see any reason BlackMagic couldn’t implement a similar program with the CC-2 Accelerator card.
Last edited by Reynaud Venter on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jean Claude

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi,

It's been a few moments that I look on the web to find if during the betas (summer 2017) of the V14.0.0.0 to V14.0.xx.x if we talked about a buffer for audio.

I do not know why but it reminds me of something .. (unless tiredness blinds me). Someone has a memory?
Thank's :)

rick.lang

Recommended plugins for Fairlight

PostFri Dec 29, 2017 5:39 am

Reynaud, I’m primarily interested in plugins certified for Resolve 14 on a Mac that support audio recording cleanup similar to the functionality of the iZotope RX Plugin pack. That would be a starting point. I thought you would know a few options, but I may need to read all the posts in this thread (read many but perhaps not all and didn’t recall plugins certified by the vendor to run well on Resolve 14). I’m fearful there aren’t any!

Rick Lang

Reynaud Venter

PostFri Dec 29, 2017 6:19 am

rick.lang wrote:I’m primarily interested in plugins certified for Resolve 14 on a Mac that support audio recording cleanup similar to the functionality of the iZotope RX Plugin pack. That would be a starting point
As mentioned previously, I have successfully used the following within Resolve:
Cedar Studio 7
Sonic Studio NoNoise 3 Broadband DeNoiser
Klevgrand Brusfri Noise Reducer

While not used here, alternate options
(edit: their support is very good even though I'm not a customer):
Acon Digital Restoration Suite (https://acondigital.com/products/restoration-suite/)
They also develop the DeVerberate, DeFilter, and Equalize plugins.

It is worth repeating, but many times I prepare audio assets in an alternative application such as soundBlade in order to use the complete Sonic NoNoise suite (which includes Manual DeClick), and the Spectral Repair Tool, since these tools aren’t available within Resolve.

The same procedure is followed with Cedar ReTouch which is a standalone application, and not a plugin available within a host.

So in effect, this is no different to using the standalone RX application, and then updating the Timeline within Resolve, or importing repaired sources in to a new Timeline.

I’m fearful there aren’t any!
Two workstations used daily aren’t on the supported list for the majority of available audio plugins.

Only in the last year or so has Reaper been listed as a compatible host as Reaper's user base expands and with the release of version 5.18 (current version is 5.70). Most of that has come from the users, and not the developer of Reaper.

soundBlade still isn’t qualified as a plugin host by any audio plugin developer, yet I have used it daily with many of the previously listed plugins since 2006.

In many cases, I have done the same with these two workstations as I now do with Resolve, if a plugin doesn’t behave, the plugin developer usually contacts the host developer in order to solve the issues involved. In all cases, compatibility was achieved.

rick.lang

PostFri Dec 29, 2017 9:25 pm

Thank you very much for your thorough response, Reynaud. Very kind. Good to have it all summarized in one post.

Rick Lang

MiddleofKnowhere

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 9:28 pm

I bought the debreath plug-in from Waves but for some reason only the mono version seems to load. Any help on getting the stereo version to work? Win10.
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve