Trouble with Stabilizer copy/pasting tracking data

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jason Rushin

Trouble with Stabilizer copy/pasting tracking data

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 11:46 pm

For the life of me, I cannot get "text tracking" to work in Resolve 14. I'm doing the following:
- Track an object in a clip using Tracker/Classic Stabilizer's point tracker. (the red + tracks well)
- Copy the track data.
- Jump to compound clip of text, and using Classic Stabilizer, paste the track data.
- Click Stabilize.

It appears as though, when I paste the track data, it somehow pastes only a truncated version of the track data. (For example, if the clip I tracked is 10 seconds, the pasted tracks look like 4 seconds of track data stretched to 10. The diff color tracking lines don't even look the same between clips.) Then, when I stabilize my title, it barely moves and definitely does not follow the tracked object. Very odd, but it's driving me crazy. Any ideas?

I'm on Resolve 14.0.0.078, with Windows 10.0.15063, with a i5-6400, 24GB ram, and AMD RX 480 with 8GB.

Jason Rushin

Re: Trouble with Stabilizer copy/pasting tracking data

PostSat Oct 07, 2017 12:26 am

Well, after weeks of fighting with this and finally posting the question...I figured it out soon after I typed this initial post. By realizing that the duration of the tracking data was off, I turned my video clip into a compound clip and, lo and behold, it worked as expected.

Since I didn't razor/trim my video clip, I just used ripple to shorten the video clip, it appears as though Resolve's Stabilizer nevertheless stabilizes the entire clip (even though the clip I can view is shorter). Now I'll know to cut the clips rather than roll/ripple them.

Thanks Me! You're welcome, Me! :D

Sam Steti

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 9:54 am

Excuse me but I'm not sure I understood how you finally fixed this... At the 1st post you wrote, I thought it could have been connected to the compound clip, but finally it was not (compound is your solution to make one clip of you text stuff I guess).
So you mean that trimming the track-copied clip also trimmed the track data of the clip and that doesn't work in the end, or that you can trim it but only before tracking it, or both, or none, or do whatever you like whenever you like but only with the blade ? :)
Or basically, a "never ever touch a tracked filed in any way" reckoning ? :lol:
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Steve Alexander

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 1:02 pm

I wouldn't have thought that roll/ripple would be any different than razoring a clip. Odd.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Jason Rushin

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 6:46 pm

Sam, I thought that I was making a mistake by using ripple edit instead of cutting the clip. Seems like there's some sort of timing issue with tracker related to clip length and clip edits. I'm not entirely sure.

Unfortunately, even my "fixed" method doesn't seem to work every time. I just tried it again on a fresh project with just a single clip. No matter how I trim the clip, when I paste the tracker data onto the title compound clip, it never matches and sometimes it drifts all over. It might be due to my footage being 2704x1501 GoPro, but not sure.

Pretty frustrating...but the software is free, so can't complain too much. :mrgreen:

Sam Steti

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 8:09 pm

Hey,
Actually it doesn't matter wether it' the free version or not, things don't go the way it should, I can understand it...
Anyways, I thing you can try turn your text into a clip by putting it into a power bin : then it's a clip as a video one is, therefore accepting track data as you'd expect it to. On the other hand, whenever you have to ripple/cut/change the length of it, do it before re-tracking it afterwards to have the genuine clip track data copied.
Whatever you do, beware of the compound clip concept, it seems not to take every information into account (for example ptzr)

Jason Rushin

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 2:53 am

Hey all - this has been very frustrating for me. It only worked that one time, and I could never get it to work again. However, just saw that Resolve 14.1 was just released and includes "Addressed an issue where the tracking (and also stabilization!) would be applied incorrectly when changing the timeline resolution or the clip pixel aspect ratio."

But, just tried it and still having same issues - clip I'm trying to stabilize either shows very exaggerated movements, going all over, or absolutely nothing happens. Grrr. Very frustrating!

Jan Schubert

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 8:21 am

Hi Jason.

Its interesting. I am facing exactly the same problem, excactly like you describing it.
If anyone knows a solution for that I would be really happy to know :)

Also, does anyone know if i can use a tracker after i have stabilized footage? So that its tracking on the footage i have stabilized before?

Thanks
Jan

lighthunt

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 6:00 pm

Hi, I am facing the same problem :( I can confirm that pasting track data into the compound clip does not work. Can someone look into this (regression) defect?

Sam Steti

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 10:39 am

Did everybody use the classic stabilizer, and then did you all paste track data AND -100 before clicking stabilize ?

Return to DaVinci Resolve