Resolve 14.0.1 - Annoying Bugs I found so far...

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ulysses Paiva

Resolve 14.0.1 - Annoying Bugs I found so far...

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 12:31 pm

I still think we're in beta phase. I'd been a bit skeptical because of the first release so close to a beta release but still was glad. Some bugs fixed, not all and was anxiously waiting for the next version, believing everything would be wrapped up and running like a charm. But... seems a regression to me.

- Stills grabed are not saved after you exit the program. Its terrible to loose all the hard work you`ve put and you only discover that in the worst way. It was working in the previous release. The same wiht the beta versions, in some it worked and some not.
- I'm using 2 monitor config and I cant seem to put the audio meters right at the timeline side. Mixer shows fine but the bigger (control room) audio meters simply doesnt show. There is no option on menus or keyboard shortcut for that. And not a mention in the manual. The only workaround I could find was to disable the 2 monitor config, in the 1 monitor click the musical note icon to show the meters and only then enable the 2 monitor setup. Then it stays on the screen.
- Still on the meters, up until version 12 it was spot on. After version 14, it always seemed to not reflect the real situation. With the first release I tought that (and other bugs) would have been fixed. But with this new version it looks to me it shows the audio too high when in fact its not, thus, making my files sound quieter than what it should be. Maybe its just me.
- Still about audio... in Edit page, sound outputs at a low volume, even with it set to full and DIM not selected. When I get to Fairlight page, it is outputted (is that a word?) much louder. I dont know if its a bug or a feature. For me its a bug because it makes harder to monitor sound in the Edit page. This same behaviour was present in beta versions.
- TEXT! Come on,, guys. So many versions... 11, 12, 14... and the text tool still hard to be usefull for a real project. It has everything it needs to have there, just needs to work properly. Come one!
- And I dont see the 10x faster performance anywhere.

Too bad I cant go back to v12 without losing the projects...
Love you guys at Blackmagic. Really do and believe in you. But please, look into that as fast as you can.
Last edited by Ulysses Paiva on Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ulysses Paiva

Ulysses Paiva

Re: Resolve 14.0.1

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 5:25 pm

I tought it was me but just another terrible bug: When I exit the program, I loose ALL my optimized media. And that was the 3rd time I loose it after spending that long hours converting it.
Dmn!
Ulysses Paiva

Reynaud Venter

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 7:17 pm

Ulysses Paiva wrote:- I'm using 2 monitor config and I cant seem to put the audio meters right at the timeline side. Mixer shows fine but the bigger (control room) audio meters simply doesnt show. There is no option on menus or keyboard shortcut for that. And not a mention in the manual. The only workaround I could find was to disable the 2 monitor config, in the 1 monitor click the musical note icon to show the meters and only then enable the 2 monitor setup. Then it stays on the screen.
This is not reproducible on my system.

I am only able to cause the Edit Page Control Room metering to disappear in one case, but it involves disabling the dual display configuration.

- Still on the meters, up until version 12 it was spot on. After version 14, it always seemed to not reflect the real situation. With the first release I tought that (and other bugs) would have been fixed. But with this new version it looks to me it shows the audio too high when in fact its not, thus, making my files sound quieter than what it should be. Maybe its just me.
This is easy to test.

Insert a 1kHz sinusoidal tone referenced to 0dBFS, -5dBFS, -10dBFS, et cetera, down to -50dBFS.
Confirm that metering is correct on the Mixer channel to these fader reference points, including on all Busses.

On my system all metering is correct.

- Still about audio... in Edit page, sound outputs at a low volume, even with it set to full and DIM not selected. When I get to Fairlight page, it is outputted (is that a word?) much louder. I dont know if its a bug or a feature. For me its a bug because it makes harder to monitor sound in the Edit page. This same behaviour was present in beta versions.
This is not reproducible on my system.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Ulysses Paiva

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 7:52 pm

I got back to 14.0 and no more optimized media lost.
The meter is back (as it was before installing 14.0.1).
No more lost grabbed stills.

Reynaud, which version are you reffering to/using? My audio on rendered files plays the same level as in the edit page, but not as loud as I would expect considering the meter feedback I had. Dont have time now to test it. Finishing a job in which v14.0.1 made me loose a bunch of time.

But the sound outputs a lot louder in the Fairlight page even in v14.0 which I'm using now and a lot of problems gone away. I'm using Focusrite Scarlett as audio interface, Win10 and KRK speakers on a treated room. Maybe a setting I'm not finding?
Ulysses Paiva

Ulysses Paiva

Re: Resolve 14.0.1 - Annoying Bugs I found so far...

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 8:03 pm

One more thing. 14.0.1 was frequently re-reading some folders/files and it made the whole editing experience pretty slow and a PITA. Back to 14.0 it goes smooth all the time. Live saving wasnt working ok neither. It was stopping to make de autosave (which it shouldnt as Live save was selected) and everything was too slow for some time after that. Not the same now with the previous version.
Ulysses Paiva

Glenn Venghaus

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 8:22 pm

Hi ,

I can not think of anything that would cause a difference in audio level between Edit and Fairlight page as they use the exact same audio engine, mixer etc. Its just a different view at the same audio setup.
There is one thing that could have made you think that and that is if you use the source viewer in the edit page and not the timeline viewer.
The source viewer plays back the audio from the source clip and not from the timeline. So maybe that was what you experienced ? Otherwise there is no explanation or setting so maybe something funny local to your install.

Regarding absolute levels i checked with test tones and the metering is spot on the the levels of the test files.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Ulysses Paiva

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 9:06 pm

No, I'm using the timeline viewer. I can perfectly listen to all tracks simultaneously (voice, soundtrack, etc). So, pretty sure its not the sourve viewer.

Thanks for the test. I'll trust it for now and test it when I have the time because it maybe something related to my system. But the difference in audio volume between edit and Fairlight page... Well, that comes from beta versions up untill now.
Ulysses Paiva

Ulysses Paiva

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 9:28 pm

I see both of you are running under OSX. Maybe its a Windows thing those bugs?
Ulysses Paiva

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 12:09 am

Could be , who knows. Hope you figure it out.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Ulysses Paiva

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 7:57 am

Hope BMD figures it out. For now, the best I could do was to downgrade to the previous version.
Ulysses Paiva

Tom Early

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 11:03 am

Ulysses Paiva wrote:I see both of you are running under OSX. Maybe its a Windows thing those bugs?

And what are you running exactly? You need to post all specs if you expect anything to be fixed.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Ulysses Paiva

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 11:14 am

Tom Early wrote:
Ulysses Paiva wrote:I see both of you are running under OSX. Maybe its a Windows thing those bugs?

And what are you running exactly? You need to post all specs if you expect anything to be fixed.

I've answered above. Win10 and Resolve Studio. Audio through a Focusrite Scarlett and KRK speakers. 2 monitor setup for UI, 1 10 bit wide gamut monitor for reference and 1 TV also for monitoring (4 screens total).
Ulysses Paiva

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 11:25 am

Hi Ulysses,

Better to also give your hardware specs as lots of issues stem often from underpowered systems.
So CPU/GPU/Mem is very usefull info for troubleshooting. + info on GPU driver version, if you use CUDA /OpenCl (specialy considering performance and graphics related issues of course)

Muito obrigado

Ulysses Paiva

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 11:38 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:This is easy to test.

Insert a 1kHz sinusoidal tone referenced to 0dBFS, -5dBFS, -10dBFS, et cetera, down to -50dBFS.
Confirm that metering is correct on the Mixer channel to these fader reference points, including on all Busses.

On my system all metering is correct.

Reynaud, I did the tests starting from the -40 up till 0. The -40 is ok, the rest if off. Like -35 is around -38, -20 is around -27, 0 is around -2...

Maybe a setting I am not familiar with?
Ulysses Paiva

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 11:53 am

So you drop a lets say -20 on the timeline and on that track VU meter it does not show -20 ?
As that track VU is pre-fader it should exactly show -20.
2017-10-09_13-53-10.jpg
2017-10-09_13-53-10.jpg (41.33 KiB) Viewed 3993 times

There is no setting anywhere , where i can influence this -20 output on the track VU in any way. So if it shows a lower value on your side there is something realy wierd going on. Maybe your audio card driver is doing something to the signal , maybe some in the audio card signal patching/volume etc. Check all these.
Also whatever i do can not get a difference in volume in any way between fairlight and edit. And i tried hard.
even the DIM works on both pages the same.

Ulysses Paiva

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 12:02 pm

Found out more.
Seems like its happening to mono files. When I play mono files on standard stereo tracks, the meters are accurate. If I change the track tipe to mono (so it can be heard at both speakers) the meters are off, probably the actual volume is following it. Any ideas? I keep thinking its something I'm doing wrong but cant find it. Tried to change the audio interface sample rate and has no influence on the matter.

Funny thing: The Control Meters are off but the Mixer and Fairlight meters are in pair with the test samples. Still the Fairlight page outputs a lot more volume. Edit page outputs at a low volume, no DIM and volume setting crancked all the way up.

Edit:
Definetively a Windows thing: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=64158
Dont know if someone found the way to fix or workaround.
Ulysses Paiva

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 1:16 pm

Ah good you are not alone, that helps to identify where the bug is for BM or if its si caused by some OS specific thing. Also what you mention as funny thing is an important clue, because that means it is somewhere in the controlroom/monitoring section when the track and main VU are ok. Narrows down the search.

Tom Early

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 1:38 pm

Ulysses Paiva wrote:
Tom Early wrote:

I've answered above. Win10 and Resolve Studio. Audio through a Focusrite Scarlett and KRK speakers. 2 monitor setup for UI, 1 10 bit wide gamut monitor for reference and 1 TV also for monitoring (4 screens total).

As Glenn mentions above, BMD need a lot more than this, and it's also unhelpful to only partially list in the way you originally did when several posts into the topic. There's no way of telling if your system even supports Resolve 14. A detailed spec list displayed in the manner posted by Reynaud or Glenn above is best, preferably on either the first post of a bug report or else in you signature so it's with every post you make.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Ru Cook

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 3:34 pm

V 14.0.1

Spacebar stops working to control start stop after a few mins....only restarting the app fixes it. I'm just using the fairlight page fyi

Anyone else get this? MacOS 10.12.6
Resolve Studio 18.1.3 : M1 Mac mini, OSX 12.6.5, 16gb. 2Tb internal
Pro Tools Ultimate. Blender. FCPX, Adobe CC

Ulysses Paiva

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 2:31 pm

Ru Cook wrote:V 14.0.1

Spacebar stops working to control start stop after a few mins....only restarting the app fixes it. I'm just using the fairlight page fyi

Anyone else get this? MacOS 10.12.6

I noticed something similar but thought it could be due to the program hanging up do read or process something in fairlight page, which seems to not have the same performance as the others tabs/pages as playback in edit page works normally 99% of the time. But nothing I can really tell for sure, just an impression.
Ulysses Paiva

Ulysses Paiva

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 2:49 pm

Tom Early wrote:
As Glenn mentions above, BMD need a lot more than this, and it's also unhelpful to only partially list in the way you originally did when several posts into the topic. There's no way of telling if your system even supports Resolve 14. A detailed spec list displayed in the manner posted by Reynaud or Glenn above is best, preferably on either the first post of a bug report or else in you signature so it's with every post you make.

Tom, I dont mean to sound harsh but an innacurate audio meter on timeline on certain occasions only and the mixer, at the same time, showing correct bars doesnt sound like a hardware problem. Even more when I'm not alone as said previously. It's looks more like a Resolve's Windows version problem. It's just lazy and easy to always put the fault on the user side which BMD doesnt do but some users do. I've been using the v14 since the first beta and I know what worked, what not, what was fixed and what was broken after being fixed. And I use Resolve since v9 or 10. Also, it would be easy to spot a particular problem on my this way (using betas and release versions). With Resolve running even on laptops, your worries about my hardware sound a bit offensive like I'm just saying BS sitting on an old green display computer without knowing what I'm doing.
I have an Asus board, dont remember the model exactly and too lazy to stop and search, an Intel i7, dont remember also, 16Gb Ram, SSD for the OS drive and a GTX 980. Audio, as said, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 used by sound professionals all over the world, KRK 6 inch woofers speakers system, again, used all over the world by sound professionals and even a treated room, which not every big production company does, and I am very small.
Again, I dont mean to sound harsh. It just looked like you didnt read the post all the way and just came pointing fingers. Sorry if I misunderstood.
Ulysses Paiva

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi Ulysses,

I dont think Tom meant any harm. I also asked a few times in this post for detailed system info. Not to point fingers or to say anything bad about your system, but a lot of times thing that might seem unrelated to you can be caused by a specific combo of hard and software. Or bugs that only pop up in some conbinations/drivers versions etc.

Actualy just the last days we discovered a crazy bug only happening on certain macbook pro with a touchbar and only in combination with a specific piece of software.

We would have never found this if the affected users had not posted very detailed system specs including driver versions etc. As even a driver version can cause so crazy stuff in certain combinations.
Thats why BM asks this also as standard and created guidelines on how t post issues.
The more details you provide the higher the chance your issue is beeing investigated by the right people.
Nothing more frustrating for developers to every time ask for system info when users explain an issue they have.

So take this as positive not negative

Peter Fizgal

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 7:10 am

I'm having the same issue as Ru.
After a few minutes, the spacebar does not work anymore, and restarting Resolve seems to temporarily fix the issue.

I have also been having audio problems.
After a few minutes of use, audio isn't played back from the source viewer anymore. When I drag the clip into the timeline, I can hear audio again, but not from the source viewer. Restarting Resolve temporarily fixes this..

I'm using DR studio 14.0.1
Mac Pro 2010 10.13
12 core 3,46
All SSD storage
32GB ram
Nvidia 1080 Ti
Mac Pro 2019 - 12core 3.3 - 48Gb Ram - All SSD - AMD Radeon VII - macOS 10.15.2

Chris Holmes

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 9:47 pm

Ulysses,

Did you ever sort the volume issue out? I am noticing the same issue on Windows 10 Pro.
System Info
Resolve Studio 14.3
Windows 10 Pro version 1709
SuperMicro 7048GR-TR
Dual 18 Core / 4x 1080ti / Cubix Xpndr

Return to DaVinci Resolve