FairLight - Audio Track and Lanes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

GregDassie

FairLight - Audio Track and Lanes

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 11:00 am

Hi everyone,

I'm struggling with my audio edit in Fairlight in Resolve 14 Studio :

I have 3 tracks :
1- Dialogues (4) : 4 lanes (A-lavMic, B-boomMic, C-camMicLeft, D-camMicRight) from ProRes from Atomos Shogun)
2- FX (2.0) : 2 lanes (some don't have any signal on channel "2" but still can be heard on both speakers)
3- Music (2.0) : 2 lanes (ok)

The track 1 is giving me the biggest trouble because I want to use the first lane (lavMic) on one clip then use the second one (boomMic) on another clip. Typically because I got interferences and/or the boomMic has better rendering. I don't want to "mix" them both (sometimes they do not record the same person)

(please do not comment on sound recording SHOULD be done, these clips are what I have to work with)

Here is the question :
Is it possible to select a specific LANE inside an audio TRACK and only use this one in my main mix ?

Thanks !
Greg D

Jim Simon

Re: FairLight - Audio Track and Lanes

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 4:40 pm

What is an audio lane?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Reynaud Venter

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 4:58 pm

GregDassie wrote:Here is the question :
Is it possible to select a specific LANE inside an audio TRACK and only use this one in my main mix?
Page 467 through Page 469 of the Resolve 14 Manual may assist.

Read through the “Assigning Audio Channels in the Media Pool” section, which outlines using the Audio Clip Attributes to map channels to a single track, and muting the channels not required.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Peter Barrett

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 2:27 am

Resolve 14 lacks decent documentation on its Fairlight page - even though it's in release, the promised updates haven't happened yet. Gentle reminder there BMD!

I initially found v14's audio handling confusing. In 12.5 and prior, you could patch the outputs of a track, whether mono stereo or multi, directly to outputs in the Audio mixer in the Edit page, and toggle between stereo defaults and channel-specific output. These days I need to do this: Use the Media or Edit page Clip Attributes Audio tab to, for example, select one of the available channels and decide which channels to include. You can also decide whether you want to change the clip's output format to say mono, to include just the one track. It's also possible to lay up a stereo clip twice in a sequence across two mono audio tracks and separately select which channel appears on each, again using Clip Attributes. Handy if you want to directly patch your output.

I'm also using the Bus Format and Bus Assign functions to work with 5.1 material, creating a second main bus for 5.1, which then appears as an option in the Deliver page. Handy for switching between 5.1 and stereo encodes. The default stereo monitor mix does seem to provide a mixdown of 5.1 sources.

If you need a Direct Out result, in the end the Deliver page allows a straight track patch, by adding the necessary output channels to route each source track. Slightly laborious, but the only way I could figure to do it without complex panning, which I'd rather not deal with if I can avoid it, for fear of invoking "pan law" attenuation.

Hope this helps - can't wait for the manual!
Peter Barrett

GregDassie

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 10:41 am

Jim Simon wrote:What is an audio lane?

For what I understand LANES are what's inside a TRACK, for exemple :
- A mono TRACK (1.0) has 1 LANE
- A stereo TRACK (2.0) has 2 LANES (left and right)
- A 5.1 multichannel TRACK (5.1) has 6 LANES (L, C, R, RL, RR, Sub)

Unless I missed something.
Greg D

GregDassie

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 10:45 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:
GregDassie wrote:Here is the question :
Is it possible to select a specific LANE inside an audio TRACK and only use this one in my main mix?
Page 467 through Page 469 of the Resolve 14 Manual may assist.

Read through the “Assigning Audio Channels in the Media Pool” section, which outlines using the Audio Clip Attributes to map channels to a single track, and muting the channels not required.

Thanks for your answer.
I took a look there and find my way into this. So I got to finish my edit more or less right.
I'm still a bit uncomfortable with it but I guess it's also a matter of wrapping your mind around a different logic.
Greg D

Jim Simon

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 4:31 pm

GregDassie wrote:- A mono TRACK (1.0) has 1 LANE

Ahh, another name for channel.

Shouldv'e figure that.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve