sRGB in Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Brian Schuck

sRGB in Resolve

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 11:17 am

i just ordered a Benq moitor, my question is will i need to make any adjustments in the project settings for it to properly show as sRGB or i this something that does not need to be changed? thanks

Tero Ahlfors

Re: sRGB in Resolve

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 11:48 am

Instead of making adjustments in Resolve settings you'll need to calibrate and verify your monitor.

rick.lang

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 3:53 pm

If you are on a Mac, the System Preferences/Display/Colour dialogue will allow you to select sRGB. You can use it as well to calibrate the monitor if budget is tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Brian Schuck

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 7:40 pm

the monitor i am getting is calibrated for sRGB and rec709 and also has 2 more settings for user, i have a spyder5 i will be using for calibration checks, i was just unsure in in Resolve on a pc if i needed to go to project settings and change timeline to sRGB. thanks

rick.lang

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Yes, you want the actual monitor display setting and your Resolve settings to agree so WYSIWYG.

Rick Lang

Brian Schuck

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 5:20 pm

WYSIWYG im fairly new, not sure what this means.

Ryan McNeal

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 5:27 pm

What You See Is What You Get

rick.lang

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 6:52 pm

Sorry, Brian. I’m fairly old and haven’t always the strength to type!

Rick Lang

Kays Alatrakchi

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 7:38 pm

A while back I posted a tutorial on basic calibration and how to pick a decent monitor. I should probably update it, but I think there might be some useful info to be had:

>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Brian Schuck

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 12:19 am

what settings would i need to make in Resolve to insure that what i see on my external monitor is what is being exported, if that makes sense

Marc Wielage

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 5:44 am

Brian Schuck wrote:what settings would i need to make in Resolve to insure that what i see on my external monitor is what is being exported, if that makes sense

The monitor has to be calibrated, and you need a color-managed output from a Blackmagic display card for this to work. Don't judge the image from within the Resolve GUI because it'll be affected by the operating system.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Brian Schuck

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 9:02 pm

so without the blackmagic card im just guessing? my external monitor is calibrated and is stored in the monitor not on my laptop and is not effected by my os, im not skilled enough to open my laptop to install a blackmagic card, no other way for this to work? if you have to have a device would a Intensity Shuttle (USB3) work? im hoping there is a way for it to work as is, im only doing video work to be shared on the web.

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 7:26 am

I don't understand the idea that GUI monitor can not be accurate or that it takes a rocket to get there. It would mean that every other field where external monitors are not used (design, comp etc) is not getting it.

Given that calibrator itself is working correctly, having a properly calibrated monitor is the same as having an external preview monitor. Whether image is different between Resolve GUI and OS, should be very easy to test (get a test image, capture screen buffer and compare). If it is not, there is no qualitative difference (they both are calibrated correctly) between GUI monitor and external monitor aside the fact that you have a windowed, not fullscreen output, and GUI elements might distort your color perception.
I do stuff

Micha Clazing

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 11:30 am

Hendrik Proosa wrote:I don't understand the idea that GUI monitor can not be accurate or that it takes a rocket to get there. It would mean that every other field where external monitors are not used (design, comp etc) is not getting it.

Given that calibrator itself is working correctly, having a properly calibrated monitor is the same as having an external preview monitor. Whether image is different between Resolve GUI and OS, should be very easy to test (get a test image, capture screen buffer and compare). If it is not, there is no qualitative difference (they both are calibrated correctly) between GUI monitor and external monitor aside the fact that you have a windowed, not fullscreen output, and GUI elements might distort your color perception.

Ssshh, nobody's allowed to know that or Blackmagic won't be able to sell Decklink Mini Monitor cards any more.

JPOwens

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 3:43 pm

Brian Schuck wrote:he monitor i am getting is calibrated for sRGB and rec709 and also has 2 more settings for user, i have a spyder5 i will be using for calibration checks

...and this is where it all went off the rails.

The monitor you are getting can accept sRGB and rec709 (they are only marginally different, anyway) and has 2 more settings for users, and if you used the Spyder5, you would be good to go if you were creating print output.

Print output is about white balance; inkjet printers, et al. don't worry about black performance, and Spyder-class photosensitometers can't see in the dark. The point overall is that any object out-of-the-box is a raw product, and you are going to have to put some effort into making it work - that is - sharpening you new chef's knife so you can slice things without cutting yourself. I don't buy the "its only for the web" argument at all -- pessimistically, why bother with grading if there is no bar, no criteria?

Micha Clazing wrote:I don't understand the idea that GUI monitor can not be accurate or that it takes a rocket to get there. It would mean that every other field where external monitors are not used (design, comp etc) is not getting it.

That's actually exactly correct. They aren't. But no one knows the difference, nothing to compare anything to, no standards.

jPo, CSI

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 4:19 pm

If there is nothing to compare to and no standards, external monitor is not going to help either. What are you calibrating it against if there is nothing? One could argue about sRGB not being standardized, but the sRGB output transform of ACES and the sRGB output transform for Resolves color management are definitely quantifiable and thus this is what one should calibrate to if he wants to use sRGB as view transform.
I do stuff

jussi rovanpera

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 4:39 pm

Just output full screen color bars from GPU output to external scope, you'll see if the GPU output is correct or not.

Brian Schuck

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 11:10 pm

Just output full screen color bars from GPU output to external scope, you'll see if the GPU output is correct or not. you mean open the color bars on the external monitor while useing dual screen?if i understand correctly my monitor is not dependant on my GPU but off the monitor itself, you'll see if the GPU output is correct or not. you

not sure i understand "every monitor out of the box is raw" it came with the calibration sheet or proof sheet,

Return to DaVinci Resolve