Drop shadow Resolve FX and alpha channel controls

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Denis Pilon

Drop shadow Resolve FX and alpha channel controls

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 7:36 pm

I know that I'm not the only one who need this, but I need a GPU Resolve FX Drop shadow to put
to titles that have alpha channel or anything that have alpha channel. Option of direction, softness and color will be good, like all good online systems.

BCC drop shadow and Sapphire Drop shadow don't work at all, because Resolve doesn't support the control of alpha channel for the moment.

Resolve needs a better control of all sources that contain alpha channel. It is about time...
Resolve 18.0.4 Build 5
Desktop Video 12.2.0
Supermicro PC 7048GR-TR
Win 10 Pro
CPU: 2 x Xeon E5-2687W/10-Core 3.1GHz
RAM: 128GB
Maxwell RTX-3090 & 3060
Driver 511.65
Avid Artist DNxIO
System storage: 512GB SSD
Storage: Accusys Exasan 96TB total/RAID5

James Spatz

Re: Drop shadow Resolve FX and alpha channel controls

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 12:05 pm

Yes please. This is the only remaining feature that I feel I have lost in switching from premiere. Often I simply want to have a magazine page cast a soft shadow, or define the edge of a foreground layer with a glow and there is no way to do it that I have found without going to an external program. Sometimes I make layer with a color clip which is soft cropped and positioned to fake a shadow but that is clumsy for many reasons.

Cosmonauta

Re: Drop shadow Resolve FX and alpha channel controls

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 4:40 pm

Hey guys, first post here and proud of it. I registered because I was wondering just like you how to fix this problem and then found the solution.

At the "fusion" tab, there is an effect under Tools--> Effect---> Shadow
there you can manage the cast of the shadow just like the drop shadow in Fcpx.
Im in a transition to davinci, because I do the color grading edition and animation of a lot of projects, and this software has managed to grasp everything I need in one software, so it has been very time effective this change, however there still things that i have to learn, wait or give advice if its good. Sorry for my english im from South America, Chile.

Return to DaVinci Resolve