DaVinci crashes when rendering 2k dci footage

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Donnell Henry

DaVinci crashes when rendering 2k dci footage

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 12:22 am

I'm experiencing crashes when rendering 2k dci pro res 422HQ footage on a mac pro d500 6core OS X sierra, on latest version of resolve. It renders up to about 75% then i get a crash. I have to retry it about 3 times before it renders the 4 minute footage.The footage was shot on a production 4k cam in pro res 422HQ 4k
GODS CREATE

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: DaVinci crashes when rendering 2k dci footage

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 12:25 am

In the File tab on the Deliver page, lower the render speed and see if that helps.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Donnell Henry

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 1:27 am

ok i'll try it thanks dwayne
Thank you Dwayne that seems to have done the trick
GODS CREATE

rick.lang

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 8:25 pm

Donnell, if you can stand to have your heart broken, take a look at MacRumors today. The Geekbench results are in for the 8 and 10 core iMac Pro. I’ll warn you upfront: they spank the new MacPro while using their chips underclocked to manage their heat. The 18 core CPUs will be off the chart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Marc Wielage

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 11:07 pm

The link for the Geekbench tests is here:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/16/im ... enchmarks/

marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Donnell Henry

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 3:31 am

Yeah rick and marc i saw that too..jeez..i'm really thinking on holding out for that mac pro slated for next year..i'm growing a couple of livers now so i can sell them when the mac pro is released

PS to Dwaine: its still crashing randomly even when i decrease..the render speed
GODS CREATE

rick.lang

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 5:45 pm

Donnell, not an unwise approach given the history of the iMac failing to provide sufficient cooling for intense video work even though they know professionals do use them. Then again the ‘newer’ Mac Pro is supposed to address the flaws of the ‘new’ Mac Pro, but I won’t be the first kid on the block to buy into that until other brave explorers have beaten a path before me. I’m just so not into marketing hype especially from Apple. Less talk and “Show Me the Money.”

Rick Lang

Donnell Henry

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 7:21 pm

rick.lang wrote:Donnell, not an unwise approach given the history of the iMac failing to provide sufficient cooling for intense video work even though they know professionals do use them. Then again the ‘newer’ Mac Pro is supposed to address the flaws of the ‘new’ Mac Pro, but I won’t be the first kid on the block to buy into that until other brave explorers have beaten a path before me. I’m just so not into marketing hype especially from Apple. Less talk and “Show Me the Money.”

ABSOLUTELY!!!! Rick you’re preaching to the choir. But preach it nonetheless. I’m done with the hype.
GODS CREATE

Jack Fairley

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 7:27 pm

rick.lang wrote:Donnell, not an unwise approach given the history of the iMac failing to provide sufficient cooling for intense video work even though they know professionals do use them.

As powerful as the new Intel chips are, I'm predicting the 18 core will be a nuclear inferno. Hopefully the Mac Pro is a return to a normal workstation design...
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Donnell Henry

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 2:06 am

Jack i hope so too..i bought a used late 2013 mac pro here to finish one of my films shot on the ursa 4k..and i'm having issues rendering ultra hd on this thing..i have a fan blowing on it constantly to keep it cool. yes "Nuclear" is right ;) i'm with you on the new mac pro for 2018..this is one of the reasons why i'm skipping the iMac pro..i'm scared that thermal design would not be enough to contain that 18 core beast. Also i need it to be modular. i just can't be stuck with an iMac pro for the next least 3/4 years and can't upgrade anything on it except possibly Ram.
GODS CREATE

rick.lang

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 6:29 am

There may be a solution. I noticed in the warm summer, my iMac would shutdown after a few seconds due to something overheated I guess because once our glorious cold weather moved in everything is running so much better. So the solution is the opposite of what Canadians try to do (enjoy an Endless Summer). I just need to always live in a winter climate where an open window does wonders getting rid of any heat.

Rick Lang

Marc Wielage

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 8:58 am

rick.lang wrote:Donnell, not an unwise approach given the history of the iMac failing to provide sufficient cooling for intense video work even though they know professionals do use them. Then again the ‘newer’ Mac Pro is supposed to address the flaws of the ‘new’ Mac Pro...

If this is like past Apple products (and I have about 32 years' experience with those), Apple will just make new, different mistakes than before and not repeat the same mistakes. We'll hope that overheating GPUs won't be the problem this time.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Donnell Henry

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 11:04 am

Ha! Rick it’s starting to get colder here to in Brooklyn. Finally I may be able to take this fan off. Lol
Marc you know you hit the hammer on the nail.. like rick said earlier it’s better to wait and let people buy them first to basicallly see what new “mistakes” they may have made. We’re already beta testers for blackmagic in some way, I can’t afford to do that with two companies especially with apple (:
GODS CREATE

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 3:54 pm

Donnell Henry wrote:I'm experiencing crashes when rendering 2k dci pro res 422HQ footage on a mac pro d500 6core OS X sierra, on latest version of resolve. It renders up to about 75% then i get a crash. I have to retry it about 3 times before it renders the 4 minute footage.The footage was shot on a production 4k cam in pro res 422HQ 4k

Are you doing finals 2kdci xyz files in a prores compress 422 file?

Just because that is a very w bad idea in terms of quality.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Donnell Henry

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 4:40 am

waltervolpatto wrote:
Donnell Henry wrote:I'm experiencing crashes when rendering 2k dci pro res 422HQ footage on a mac pro d500 6core OS X sierra, on latest version of resolve. It renders up to about 75% then i get a crash. I have to retry it about 3 times before it renders the 4 minute footage.The footage was shot on a production 4k cam in pro res 422HQ 4k

Are you doing finals 2kdci xyz files in a prores compress 422 file?

Just because that is a very w bad idea in terms of quality.

I’ve done 2k dci pro res 422 HQ And it worked. I’m trying to do ultra Hd pro res 422 HQ. That’s where the crashing is happening
GODS CREATE

Return to DaVinci Resolve