audio track meters - post fader?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Terence Kearns

audio track meters - post fader?

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 9:57 am

Is there a way to get audio track meters (in the mixer panel) to display the post-fader/post-FX level?

Would be nice to get a true visual representation of resultant levels.

Im using Resolve 14.0.0.078 on windows 10.

Reynaud Venter

Re: audio track meters - post fader?

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 10:32 am

Post-fader metering has not been implemented yet. This has been raised several times on this forum.

There may be a case for post-fader metering, and BlackMagic représentatives have acknowledged the request in other threads and have also indicated that they will take it under consideration for future updates. But, the feature request list apparently could fill a library of books (and I haven’t exactly made it any more manageable).

Pre-fader channel metering, though, is essential for proper gain staging, as it is post-insert processing and obviously pre-fader.

For metering each channel's contribution to the Main Mix, Stems and Downmixes, use the Main and Sub-Mix Buss metering for proper gain staging.

This is traditionally how consoles have implemented metering in the analogue world, but the principle is perhaps even more critical in the digital domain.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.5 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Terence Kearns

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 11:03 am

I see. Great response thanks Reynaud. I wasn't aware that was the tradition.

Yeah it would be good to have the option in project settings to toggle
* pre-fader level meters
* post-fader level meters
* split (both) level meters

I like being able to see the balance at a glance. Sometimes I don't trust my ears.

Dax Roggio

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 1:49 pm

I would very much like to see this feature. Creating a new sub bus for each track is a pain. I don’t generally want to see where the levels were. I want to see where they are.

Also, are the peak indicators broken in v14? Even audio tracks that are clearly clipping don’t seem to set them off.
No, you probably don’t need a calibrated, non-computer display.

Reynaud Venter

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 2:20 pm

Straightforward to test with a few sinusoidal alignment tones. Metering within spec on my system.

Then again, with proper gain staging, clipping Mixer channels is an absolute rarity here.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.5 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Return to DaVinci Resolve