Resolve 14.0.1 crashes on cloud GPU VMs

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Matt Benton

Resolve 14.0.1 crashes on cloud GPU VMs

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 6:27 pm

Hi, I've been trying to get Resolve 14.0.1 working using cloud GPU VMs in both AWS and Azure and getting similar problems. Opening a new project I get the "DaVinci resolve has stopped working" message and it shuts down.

The first VM I tried it on was Amazon AWS g2.2xlarge, 8 x vCPU, 15gb ram, Windows Server 2016 base 10. GPU for this is NVIDIA GRID K520 (1 core of)

Because that's windows server not client, I also tried an Azure VM, NC6. 6 x vCPU, 56gb ram, Windows 10 pro r2. GPU for this 1x NVIDIA TESLA K80.

Both fail in the same way, and error logs are more or less the same. A few lines from the start of the error log there's this:
Code: Select all
Failed to load the following GL extensions:
- glCompileShader
- glGetProgramInfoLog
- glLinkProgram

Then just before shutdown is a message like this:
Code: Select all
Assertion failed: m_FragLUT, file Player\UiPlayerViewerWidget.cpp, line 2539
[0x00001fb4] | Main                 | INFO  | 2017-10-18 16:47:31,057 | Caught termination signal SIGABRT, triggering termination routine

Any ideas what to try?
Thanks

Matt Benton

Re: Resolve 14.0.1 crashes on cloud GPU VMs

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 11:38 am

Having re-installed NVIDI drivers, I also can't run Heaven GPU benchmark on this VM, and get GL errors with that too.

I think most likely cause is I'm connecting to the VM using RDP from a Windows 7 pc, and old versions of ms rdp don't support OpenGL. I can update my rdp to v8.1 for some OpenGL support, but I think it's only lower versions of OpenGL.

I've not found in the specs the minimum version of OpenGL that resolve needs? Anyone know?

Thanks

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 10:48 am

Resolve is not designed for operation on Cloud VM GPUs.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Probably the drivers are bad/corrupt/old in your VM. I have successfully run Resolve (not v14 though, but 12.5) on AWS g2 instances for testing, but I used Scalable Graphics AMI for this, which has all the OpenGL related bells and whistles installed, plus their own remote desktop streaming, which is the fastest I have found yet.

Windows RDP uses virtual display driver and this prohibits using the opengl features of GPU. Maybe the newer versions work so-so as you wrote, haven't tried.
I do stuff

Return to DaVinci Resolve