2017 iMac configuration for Resolve 4K work

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Steve Cox

2017 iMac configuration for Resolve 4K work

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 2:34 am

Hi, the background to my questions is based on the following . . .

I have a corporate project (web only) that I am planning to shoot and finish in UHD. I have ordered a Canon C200 and am planning to shoot predominantly 4K Canon Raw Light. I have plenty of Raid 6 Drobo (Thunderbolt) storage am a reasonably experienced Resolve user. I know this storage is not fast enough to play 4K CRM or PR444XQ files. So . . .

To complete the project, I am looking at upgrading to a new iMac. I'm considering a full spec 5K i7, 64GB RAM and 2TB of internal PCI memory. I'd be combining this with a Sony PVM-A250 with HD output supplied thru SDI via a BMD Ultra Studio Mini Monitor. I'd like to be able to grade in HD and have the ability to switch Resolve to full-screen mode to look at UHD on the 5K screen from time-to-time. I don't need to grade off this screen. I just need to check the look and details in UHD. The iMac display would be calibrated with an X-Rite Colormunki. I know this is not a facility level setup, but I'm not sure what else could work?

Specifically, I'd like to know if by partitioning the super fast, 2TB internal drive into a 500GB System drive and a 1.5GB media drive, would it be fast enough to work with? I'm not necessarily looking for real-time, full quality UHD playback. I just want it to be reasonably robust at full res.

Am I dreaming? Can I partition that super fast 2TB internal SSD into a fast media drive? Would it be fast enough to achieve reasonable grading/working experience? Initial tests on some 4K DNG Raw material would indicate yes, but I'd love to know people's thoughts on this setup.

Many thanks :D

Return to DaVinci Resolve