12.5.6, Ubuntu, no audio out

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rick Emerson

12.5.6, Ubuntu, no audio out

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 3:29 am

This an old question (back to Resolve 10 and 11), but none of the old answers help.

Resolve 12.5.6 - Ubuntu 16.0.4.3

The VU meters dance to the music, all of the speaker icons are the right color and there are no x's in front of them. The "use system audio" choice, in Preferences, is checked and Resolve was restarted after that. Audio should reach the speakers, but it doesn't. VLC works, as do system notification sounds. BTW, my Win10 12.5.6 does not have "use system audio" checked. I tried that with Ubuntu, of course.

The "sound card" is the default, internal chip on the mother board.

I'm out of ideas...
Having stumbled upon the truth, he continued on as if nothing had happened.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: 12.5.6, Ubuntu, no audio out

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 4:55 am

Currently, only a BMD PCIe I/O device will give you audio on a Linux system.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Rick Emerson

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 12:38 pm

OK - what's the minimum to get audio out of Resolve under Linux?

Tero Ahlfors

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Get a model that has the features you need. The Mini Monitor has SDI and HDMI out that you can de-embed the audio from with another piece of hardware or you can get a pricier Decklink Studio model that has a breakout cable with XLR and other inputs/outputs.

Rick Emerson

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 1:32 pm

Er... there are a bunch of Decklink products listed. There's no obvious part number to identify the minimum needed to get audio out, regardless of the video specs. I'd like to think the $145 card will get the job done, but it's not clear to me that card will do it. Recommendation?

EDIT change product name

Tero Ahlfors

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 1:40 pm

Mini Monitor 4K supports 4K signals. The one without the 4K moniker supports up to HD. It's cheap but as mentioned before it only has SDI and HDMI out. If you can use those interfaces for audio then it should be a good choice.

All the cards/external I/O devices can deal with video and audio. It just depends on the model what kind of outputs they have.

Rick Emerson

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 2:34 pm

I'm working with material shot in HD, so the video component is, for my purposes, irrelevant. The existing monitor is quite satisfactory. The goal is to get audio out of a Resolve installation under Linux.

Rick Emerson

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 2:40 pm

Rechecking the DeckLink Mini Monitor specs, it's limited to 1080p30. The material I'm using is 1080p60. Again, I don't care about the video from the card, just the audio. If, however, feeding 1080p60 to the card causes a problem, then the whole project (getting Resolve running on my equipment) ends. The alternatives are simply too costly for what amounts to a free end product.

Tero Ahlfors

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Let's try this for the third time:

You don't need to use the video monitoring features, but if you need audio you will need to use the outputs available on the card. If you get The Mini Monitor you'll get audio through the SDI or the HDMI ports. So if you have an amp that accepts HDMI in you could run the HDMI from the card to the amp and get audio that way.

It would help if you could tell what kind of audio gear you have and what would be your audio signal pathway.

Rick Emerson

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 12:51 am

As long as the video bit rate doesn't play a role in the audio coming from Resolve, then the DeckLink Mini Monitor is the answer. All I'm trying to do is drive a pair of speakers with Resolve's audio output. It's that simple.

I need to be 100% certain a video frame rate greater than 30 fps (the spec'ed maximum frame rate) won't shut down the card, or at least cause it to stop passing audio from Resolve.

Return to DaVinci Resolve