Highly contrasted frames on Davinci resolve video playback

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Duarte Vicente

Highly contrasted frames on Davinci resolve video playback

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Hello, for the last couple of days I have been having quite a severe problem with Davinci Resolve 14.1. When i'm previewing h264 video on Davinci Resolve, in a random fashion some frames of said video will appear highly burned/contrasted, with or without any color grading applied to it. I tried many things to get a workaround this and found that replacing the video in the timeline with the same one in the media pool will solve the problem; however this issue appears randomly through the timeline and replacing each affected video is not optimal in an hour long project with many cuts (the video was edited in Adobe premiere CC 2015 and imported to Davinci as a .XML file). This is also visible in the exported .mov file.

The source footage, when viewed in Quicktime player or VLC appears completly normal. I also tried previewing the same footage in seperate projects but the problem persists. Any clues in what may be causing this?

To give some context, i'm working with footage from 3 different cameras: Canon 5D, 7D (with the h264 codec) and a Canon 300 (apple ProRes 422) in the sRGB color profile. This setup is a iMAC running macOS Sierra, with a i7 3.5GHz, 16GB of ram and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB. Cuda Driver version is 9.0.214.

I apologise in advance if I forgot to mention something, but i'm still new to the Color Grading scene and still adjusting to its costums.

PS: attached are the normal and corrupted still frames for comparison.
Attachments
corrupted.jpg
corrupted.jpg (145.81 KiB) Viewed 708 times
normal.jpg
normal.jpg (196.16 KiB) Viewed 708 times

Cary Knoop

Re: Highly contrasted frames on Davinci resolve video playba

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 7:35 pm

It seems to me that both images have problems. The first image has crushed blacks, but the second image has raised blacks and no shadows details. It appears that black levels were crushed or clipped during grading or export.

Was the file exported with full or video range? What levels on import do you select in Resolve?

Could you dropbox a second from the video that you imported into Resolve?

Duarte Vicente

Re: Highly contrasted frames on Davinci resolve video playba

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Hello, thank you for replying. Unfortanly I can only post the video on monday as the workstation I was working on is not mine and only accessible in workdays. I will export the video yes. The image you see in the normal isnt much different from the original footage as it was shot in very low lighting conditions, but the corrupted one also shows highly saturated colours.

I did export a video and it it doesnt stay corrupted through the whole sequence. Most time it just shows a flicker effect going back and forward between both states.

Return to DaVinci Resolve