DaVinci Resolve 14 Studio hangs randomly

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Romain Kedochim

DaVinci Resolve 14 Studio hangs randomly

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 1:00 pm

Hi All,

I've been trying to figure out why this is happening lately, but i'm left with no clue whatsoever. I'm working on a 4K project, using a single 4444 MOV file that i pass through the SCD tool. The footage is stored on an SSD drive connected via Thunderbolt to my nMP (the Quad core with 2xD700).

For no apparent reason (meaning i could not see a pattern like "everytime i do this, it hangs"), the wheel will start spinning and hang there for no reason. Unless i "force close", it'll stay like that.

I've generated both the capturelog file and the system report (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5797a6kawtoim7t/AAAICsCB5lK4KTC7zj5fBggOa?dl=0). And i'm happy to send a copy of the DRP project too.

The auto-save feature works great, so i have not yet lost any work as such, but it is very frustratig, especially with the client is sitting next to me.

Oh and I'm using V14.0.1.
Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Mac Studio M1 Ultra - 128Gb Unified Mem.
BM Ultrastudio Mini Monitor
BM Micro Panel
1 x FSI DM240
2 x Dell UP2516D
macOS Ventura
DR18.1.4

Sam Steti

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 Studio hangs randomly

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 7:49 am

Hey,

Obviously the fact that you can't reproduce it whenever you like is a problem to identify the issue.
But before any consideration, a few questions :
- any ofx involved somewhere ?
- did you try to switch off both "performance mode" and "render cache" ?
Try the latter as soon as you open the project. Then work on what you can (meaning it may be tougher to have realtime with both of these options off), for example tiny adjustments, grades, ptzr etc which don't require to constantly playback.
As you've noticed, I suspect a problem with the connection of you TL to cached files you may have manually thrashed, or anyway connected to the cache.
BTW, I'd personally rather put the footage on an internal SSD to erase any possible issue with the TB connection or the external disk power management, but that's me...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Romain Kedochim

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 11:08 am

Sam Steti wrote:- any ofx involved somewhere ?

Nope, never used any.

Sam Steti wrote:- did you try to switch off both "performance mode" and "render cache" ?
Try the latter as soon as you open the project. Then work on what you can (meaning it may be tougher to have realtime with both of these options off), for example tiny adjustments, grades, ptzr etc which don't require to constantly playback.

I had no issue turning off the render cache, which was set up to start after 5sec and generate Prores 422 onto a folder on the local system SSD. Turning off performance mode makes the playback impossible though, something like 5fps...

Sam Steti wrote:As you've noticed, I suspect a problem with the connection of you TL to cached files you may have manually thrashed, or anyway connected to the cache.

Hmmm - not sure if i did delete anything at all from there. But even if I did, wouldn't it regenerate the cache files instead? I now forced delete all optimized media of my last 5 projects (the ones i experienced the crashes on this week). And i'll keep cache and performance off for now and see.

Sam Steti wrote:BTW, I'd personally rather put the footage on an internal SSD to erase any possible issue with the TB connection or the external disk power management, but that's me...

I wish i could - just not enough space overall as I'm generally working on multiple projects at the same time, mostly small 30 sec advertising spots. And updating the local SSD on the nMP is just not worth it...

I'll run like this today and tomorrow as i have no big hard deadlines and see how i get on... Thanks for your help!
BM Micro Panel
1 x FSI DM240
2 x Dell UP2516D
macOS Ventura
DR18.1.4

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 2:35 pm

Romain Kedochim wrote:Hi All,

I've been trying to figure out why this is happening lately, but i'm left with no clue whatsoever. I'm working on a 4K project, using a single 4444 MOV file that i pass through the SCD tool. The footage is stored on an SSD drive connected via Thunderbolt to my nMP (the Quad core with 2xD700).

For no apparent reason (meaning i could not see a pattern like "everytime i do this, it hangs"), the wheel will start spinning and hang there for no reason. Unless i "force close", it'll stay like that.

I've generated both the capturelog file and the system report (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5797a6kawtoim7t/AAAICsCB5lK4KTC7zj5fBggOa?dl=0). And i'm happy to send a copy of the DRP project too.

The auto-save feature works great, so i have not yet lost any work as such, but it is very frustratig, especially with the client is sitting next to me.

Oh and I'm using V14.0.1.
Can anyone help?

Thanks!

You are running into AMD/OpenCL driver bugs. Please update to High Sierra if you can.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Romain Kedochim

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 2:52 pm

Rohit Gupta wrote:You are running into AMD/OpenCL driver bugs. Please update to High Sierra if you can.

Hi Rohit,

Thanks for your response. Are you saying this as a statement, after looking at my current specs? I'm happy to update to High Sierra if you think that would fix my issue - the only reason I held off was that I didn't want to lose any work done on Resolve...

If so, I'll do that first thing on Monday!
BM Micro Panel
1 x FSI DM240
2 x Dell UP2516D
macOS Ventura
DR18.1.4

Romain Kedochim

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 10:03 am

Rohit Gupta wrote:You are running into AMD/OpenCL driver bugs. Please update to High Sierra if you can.

I have now updated my machine to High Sierra and can report that, so far this morning, I have had no crash on my projects. And I kept both "Performance Mode" and "Render Cache" on.

If anything changes, I will update this thread.

Thanks!
BM Micro Panel
1 x FSI DM240
2 x Dell UP2516D
macOS Ventura
DR18.1.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve