Exporting stills in Resolve - some suggestions

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Donovan Bush

Exporting stills in Resolve - some suggestions

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 7:39 pm

I have to set up most of my dailies projects in Full Range, and a big frustration is that it that DVR seems to work in Video Levels "under the hood". The problem is that when I export WIP stills, they are exported with Video Levels, and so I have to correct the stills an another application. It would be great if DVR gave users the option to export stills in Full Range. I would love to hear how other colourists are working around this.

And while I'm on the subject, I would also love it if DVR gave more options for the file naming of the stills. At present, the stills are exported using the following naming convention: {video layer}-{timeline position}.{number of sills per clip}. This means that there is a strong likelihood that a still could be overwritten if there are more that 1 timeline per project. So if, for example, the second clip in 2 or more timelines were to be exported as a still, these could be overwritten as the still would have the same filename.

A very useful feature would to give the user the option to "export still using timeline position" (which it does currently), or "export still using clip metadata" - giving the user the option to select which metadata field to use to name the still, such as "clip name", "scene and take", "shot description" etc.

Again, I would love to hear how others are working around these issues.

Thanks in advance!

wolf.himmler

Re: Exporting stills in Resolve - some suggestions

PostSat Jul 06, 2019 5:24 pm

Totally subbed - is there actually a way to export full levels by now?

Cheers

Wolfgang
i7 - 6900K, GTX 1080ti, GTX 1080, 64GB DDR4
crafting moving pictures at: www.obdafilm.de

After all colors are just another way our brain tricks us into thinking the world around us is beautiful. But to be honest: I would't want to see numbers everywhere, either.

Return to DaVinci Resolve