Switching between R3D and (RED) ProRes proxies

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael Tiemann

Switching between R3D and (RED) ProRes proxies

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 10:31 pm

My spiffy DSMC2 cameras can generate 2K proxies while recording in 8K. Yay.

It looks like support for this feature in Resolve 14 is primitive at best. I'm hoping that an astute reader on this forum will prove me wrong!

I've cut a 25 minute video using my proxy files. There are probably 100 clip slices that comprise this video. I am able to select a single clip, select my R3D source file, and use "Conform Lock Selected Clip to Timeline" to push the R3D file across to the timeline where previously a lo-res ProRes proxy was. Now, if I could select all the clips on that row of video, I could conform all my clips in one go. But when I select multiple clips, Resolve 14 says "Unable to conform lock because multiple target clips are selected. Please select only one clip in the timeline."

What is the smart way, within resolve, to properly swap all my proxies (which came from my RED camera) to R3D media (which matches both filename and timecode)?
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

roger.magnusson

Re: Switching between R3D and (RED) ProRes proxies

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 11:34 pm

This should work:
  • You need to have your R3D files and proxy files in different bins in the Media Pool
  • Select all clips in the timeline, right click and uncheck "Conform Lock Enabled"
  • Right click the timeline in the Media Pool and select "Timelines > Reconform From Bins"
  • Select the bin to use (and you should probably enable Conform Lock again)

Michael Tiemann

Re: Switching between R3D and (RED) ProRes proxies

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 12:07 am

Thanks! I really tried to find where "Reconform from Bins" lived, but the dumb apple previewer search function (or my dumb use of it) finds way too many matches for all the wrong things when I search for "reconform from bins".
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Return to DaVinci Resolve