Craziest Thing I've Ever Seen in Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PeterMoretti

Craziest Thing I've Ever Seen in Resolve

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 11:45 pm

Okay, this is one that has me totally baffled. Audio fades are being added at random times (AFAICT) to certain audio clips. And these fades only show up on the Fairlight Page. But they can't be selected. The only way I've found to remove them is to delete the clip w/ the fade and then Undo the deletion. The clip returns w/o the fades.

But the fades eventually come back. I have no idea how or why this is happening. Perhaps there is some keyboard shortcut that I'm accidentally using. But I don't think so. And why can't the fades be selected deleted?

Thanks much for any insight into what's going on.

Here's a log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kawtf1vk1n1vp ... 1.zip?dl=0
Attachments
DVREditFadesBug.jpg
No Fades on Edit Page.
DVREditFadesBug.jpg (420.45 KiB) Viewed 3237 times
DVRFairlightFadesBug.jpg
Fades Only on Fairlight Page.
DVRFairlightFadesBug.jpg (357.89 KiB) Viewed 3237 times
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Jean Claude

Re: Craziest Thing I've Ever Seen in Resolve

PostSat Nov 04, 2017 11:20 am

Hi Peter,

Can you check your system (hdd space, cache, GPU)?

It's crazy but I looked at your log: (example)
in 1 minute 05 seconds you have 3373 times the same line (except the timestamp):
[0x000038f0] | SyManager | ERROR | 2017-11-03 16: 05: 05,424 | Failed to mark status cache, frame is out of bound

(and several series of the same error)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

PeterMoretti

PostSat Nov 04, 2017 1:03 pm

None of those parameters are being stressed, AFAICT.

The computer is pretty old PC, but it's not close to maxing out when I look at the Task Manager or Performance Monitor when this has occurred.

The hd is external USB 3 with 191 Gig free. The processor is an i7 995x extreme. The mother board is an Intel with the x58 chipset.

And the 970 GPU is a stock PNY w/ no overclocking. Using GPU Shark it's not maxing out during regular editing.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

PeterMoretti

PostSat Nov 04, 2017 2:13 pm

Now I'm unable to open the project at all, as it doesn't show up in the projects list for the database. I tried connecting to the database again, but the project still doesn't show up. Other projects in the database do show up.

When I try opening the project's project.db file with the program DB Browser for SQLite, I get the error message "disk image is malformed".

I found a post on the web on how to possibly recover a .db file that is causing this error. But it does way over my head.

https://techblog.dorogin.com/sqliteexce ... e59d547c50

I do have a backup, but there has been some considerable work done since that backup was made. :(

I think I'm just going to recreate a new database. As something was wonky, and I don't know if even if I went to backup if the seeds for destruction weren't already sown.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 1:57 am

PeterMoretti wrote:Now I'm unable to open the project at all, as it doesn't show up in the projects list for the database. I tried connecting to the database again, but the project still doesn't show up. Other projects in the database do show up.

Did you save a DRP backup of the project itself? That can really help in situations like this.

My guess is that some corruption got into the project and that started creating these problems. Granted, this isn't supposed to happen, but it does sometimes. I don't have enough experience with Fairlight to say if this is Fairlight-specific, but I have seen corrupted nodes that cause issues until the entire node tree is rebuilt, then it's all totally fine.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 5:36 am

BTW, which camera do your clips come from? This is a very long shot, but GH5 clips (not all of them - depends on the format, AFAIR) miss some 0.5 seconds or so of audio at the beginning - yet the audio channel is intact in that it begins exactly at the same moment in time as the video. Perhaps DR is getting lost about that to do with the present tack but missing (or corrupted) audio, and makes fades to "cover" those places? I say "cover" as if a piece of software was "thinking" along human preference of getting rid of the audio which is unusable (because strictly speaking - the audio IS there; it's just extremely quiet and can contain crackles and other non-recoverable interference).

BTW, this is something Panasonic should see to before the next fw release. Luckily, the GH5 can record quite long takes as single multi-GB files, but were it to split takes into chunks like many other cameras do (depending on the type of and formatting of recording media, I guess), concatenating them back into the single long take would inevitably leave nasty "holes" in audio at each clip boundary...

Piotr
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

PeterMoretti

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 11:24 am

Hi Marc, I did but it was from about twenty four hours before the corruption. I'm going to check out the versioning in auto save, btw. But my inclination is to turn auto save and live save off. It's only when using those features that I've had corrupted databases and/or projects.

Also, I think the source of the corruption came from using the project on two different standalone computers: my desktop PC and my laptop PC. It's a kind of fragile process, AFAICT.
Last edited by PeterMoretti on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterMoretti

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 11:30 am

Hi Piotr, thanks for the reply. The footage is from H.264 mp4 that I was provided.

The audio was given to me as an .m4a file. When the audio started going wonky, I opened that file in it's own timeline and rendered it out as a .wav. And copied the .wav onto a new track on the timeline and removed the .m4a. But the craziness soon came back, lol.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 2:05 am

PeterMoretti wrote:Hi Marc, I did but it was from about twenty four hours before the corruption. I'm going to check out the versioning in auto save, btw. But my inclination is to turn auto save and live save off. It's only when using those features that I've had corrupted databases and/or projects.

Also, I think the source of the corruption came from using the project on two different standalone computers: my desktop PC and my laptop PC. It's a kind of fragile process, AFAICT.

Are you sharing Disk DB on these? That would likely corrupt the DB.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

PeterMoretti

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 2:27 am

Yes, I was. I've been trying to figure out a reliable way to share database across computer. (But since this episode, I've been using a new database and sticking with just one computer.)

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 2:38 am

Ah, PostGres DB server is the only viable way to share DB across multiple machines.

PeterMoretti

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 3:03 am

Youch. So if I want to take a project with me to work on my laptop, should I use a .drp to transfer it from my desktop to my laptop? (Realizing that that will not have optimized media and other cache and stills.)

Marc Wielage

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 3:13 am

PeterMoretti wrote:Youch. So if I want to take a project with me to work on my laptop, should I use a .drp to transfer it from my desktop to my laptop? (Realizing that that will not have optimized media and other cache and stills.)

You can always export the project "with Stills and LUTs" from the main Project page. I would get around the optimized media situation by using proxies, which you can later relink to the original media for final export.

PeterMoretti

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 11:04 pm

Well this bug has reared it's head again on a different project and database.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 1:08 am

Can you send me the project?
No stills or media needed.

PeterMoretti

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 1:20 am

Do you want me to wait until the bug pops up again, so you can maybe see it "in action"? Or should I just send it now? Thanks so much.

Well it happened again, I'll send the .drp. Thanks again.
Attachments
FairlightFadeBug.jpg
These Fades were Not Added and Don't Show on the Edit Page.
FairlightFadeBug.jpg (286.47 KiB) Viewed 2696 times

PeterMoretti

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 1:02 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Ah, PostGres DB server is the only viable way to share DB across multiple machines.
Peter, could I get a bit of clarification on this, when you get a chance. As I may not be clear when I say "share."

I have a project where everything is stored on the external hard drive H:. Database, source media, cache, stills, capture (which I never use) are all on H:.

What I want to be able to do is work on this project on my desktop or my laptop, but not at the same time of course.

For example, I would like to work on the project during a trip to NYC. So I bring H: with me and plug it into my laptop where it is recognized as being H: I then connect to the database on H:, open the project and continue working on it.

When I get back to LA, I would plug H: back into my desktop and continue working on the project on my desktop.

So I would not be simultaneously sharing the disk database across multiple machines. What I would be doing is connecting the hard drive with all the files for the project to my laptop or desktop. Is that okay to do or would it run the risk of corruption? Thanks so much!
Last edited by PeterMoretti on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Tackaberry

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 2:25 am

PeterMoretti wrote:What I want to be able to do is work on this project on my desktop or my laptop, but at the same time of course.
I think you mean not at the same time?
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 | Windows 10 x64 (21H2) | AMD Threadripper 5950X | 64GB | NVIDIA 3080 Ti (516.94)

PeterMoretti

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 2:35 am

Jason Tackaberry wrote:
PeterMoretti wrote:What I want to be able to do is work on this project on my desktop or my laptop, but at the same time of course.
I think you mean not at the same time?
Thanks Jason, good catch!

Marc Wielage

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 4:12 am

PeterMoretti wrote:I have a project where everything is stored on the external hard drive H:. Database, source media, cache, stills, capture (which I never use) are all on H:.

I think it's a very bad idea to have the database and cache and source media on the same drive. I think you're a lot better off making those different drives. In my case, I'm using a 2TB SSD as the cache & stills drive, then I have the database on the boot drive (backed up), then all the source files are on an external RAID. These are transportable to other systems when I have to work elsewhere.

PeterMoretti

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 1:22 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:
Peter Chamberlain wrote:Ah, PostGres DB server is the only viable way to share DB across multiple machines.
Peter, could I get a bit of clarification on this, when you get a chance. As I may not be clear when I say "share."
Dwaine set me straight on this ;)

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=66662&p=374639#p374639

PeterMoretti

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 1:47 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:I think it's a very bad idea to have the database and cache and source media on the same drive. I think you're a lot better off making those different drives. In my case, I'm using a 2TB SSD as the cache & stills drive, then I have the database on the boot drive (backed up), then all the source files are on an external RAID. These are transportable to other systems when I have to work elsewhere.

Marc, I've definitely tried that approach. And for this project, I've moved away from it. Here's why:

While using Resolve I checked the Windows Task Manager and Resource Monitor and GPU Shark. What I found was that it really didn't matter where I stored the database or cache and stills files from a performance point of view during general usage. During rendering or creating optimized media, there did seem to be an advantage to having the destination drive different than the source drive. But those are tasks that I don't have to worry about during most of my day. And it's easy peasy to render to a different location. As for creating optimized media, that's an upfront task if I decided to use it. And for Render Cache, if I decided to turn it on, I'm using DNxHR SQ half or 1/4 rez, so the bandwidth is minimal.

The conclusion I came to is that if the external drive is fast enough for the source media, then it should be fast enough to put everything else on as well. Now a lot this depends on what I actually want to do with project. Am I going to be moving it to a different machine? And I going to be handing it off to someone else? How long am I going to be working on it?

I'm finding this all a learning process and one of experimentation. So I may come around to where I was a few months ago where I was storing database, cache and source media in three different locations.

Return to DaVinci Resolve