DR 14 Issues - Clip Insert and Render Quality

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dave McIntire

DR 14 Issues - Clip Insert and Render Quality

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 5:04 pm

I'm experiencing two issues that I didn't have any problems with in DR 12.5.

Clip Insert:

In Edit mode, I used to be able to position the playhead on the timeline at the position I wanted a clip to be inserted, go to Media Library, right click, select "Inserted Selected Clips to the Timeline" and it would insert at playhead position. This no longer works properly as the clip is inserted at a position in the timeline previous to where I want it. 3 point editing does facilitate proper placement, but my clips are often already properly trimmed, so thats a step I don't need to take. I've seen where others have same issue as me and wondering if there is a fix?

Render Quality:

Selection of Automatic Best does not stick and the program uses quality settings in the next line which is "Restrict to XXX Kb/s". Is there a fix for this? Yes, I can manually set the quality via the line it uses, but I can't see what 'Best' would result in. In case it matters, I'm using the following other settings: YouTube 1080p, Single clip, Export Video, QuickTime, H.264, 1920x1080HD, 60 fps, and the remainder are the defaults.

Thanks!

Hector Berrebi

Re: DR 14 Issues - Clip Insert and Render Quality

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 6:32 pm

Dave McIntire wrote:In Edit mode, I used to be able to position the playhead on the timeline at the position I wanted a clip to be inserted, go to Media Library, right click, select "Inserted Selected Clips to the Timeline" and it would insert at playhead position. This no longer works properly as the clip is inserted at a position in the timeline previous to where I want it.

Hi Dave

The command works fine for me. You didn't use the "With Handles" option right?
Note that if you have In/Out on your clip, even if not loaded to source monitor it will use edit points..
Same goes if you have an In on timeline, it gets priority

Dave McIntire wrote:Selection of Automatic Best does not stick and the program uses quality settings in the next line which is "Restrict to XXX Kb/s". Is there a fix for this? Yes, I can manually set the quality via the line it uses, but I can't see what 'Best' would result in. In case it matters, I'm using the following other settings: YouTube 1080p, Single clip, Export Video, QuickTime, H.264, 1920x1080HD, 60 fps, and the remainder are the defaults.

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by "best" setting. the Automatic option does not have such a selection (at least on a Mac and to my best knowledge on Windows too).

I never use Auto. And the "Restrict to" option (which I like) does stick to next exports and even next projects.

maybe I misunderstood your issue?
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Dave McIntire

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 6:56 pm

Hi Hector

Thanks for responding! I don't know how to do multi-quote, so please bear with me below.

Hector Berrebi wrote:
The command works fine for me. You didn't use the "With Handles" option right?
Note that if you have In/Out on your clip, even if not loaded to source monitor it will use edit points..
Same goes if you have an In on timeline, it gets priority

- - Correct, I didn't use 'With Handles'. Not sure how to have In/Out on clip if not using Source Monitor?
---------------------------------

Not sure what you mean by "best" setting. the Automatic option does not have such a selection (at least on a Mac and to my best knowledge on Windows too).

I never use Auto. And the "Restrict to" option (which I like) does stick to next exports and even next projects.

maybe I misunderstood your issue?

- - You got it correct. I'm on Windows 10 and after automatic is a dropdown box where you can select Least, Low, Medium, High, Best. I've only ever used Best in that box and it worked fine in DR 12.5.

Charles Bennett

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 12:23 am

One thing the Best setting produces is very large files as it uses a very high bit rate. Like Hector I use the Restrict To setting which I set to the bit rate of the original footage.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Dave McIntire

PostSun May 20, 2018 6:11 pm

Clip insert is still an issue for me sometimes...but I may have just stumbled onto why. To recap, what Resolve wants to do sometimes is insert a clip at a point previous to where the playhead is positioned. I was just experiencing the problem and discovered that a chunk of my timeline was highlighted dark grey. I'm not sure how that happened, but I clicked somewhere else and it went away and then the Insert Clip F9 button inserted the clip right where I wanted it.

I'm not sure if that is whats been going on in the past, but sometimes Clip Insert works fine, and then other times it doesnt.

At this point, can someone enlighten me about how a section of the timeline gets 'highlighted'? And how to remove it?

Thanks!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 21, 2018 6:40 am

Its likely you are marking an in point on your timeline.
Option (alt) X will clear it.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve