Resolve 14 Transitions Grabbing all tracks beneath them

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

andrewrobert

Resolve 14 Transitions Grabbing all tracks beneath them

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 2:24 am

Hello. I'm a pretty new Davinci Resolve user, and I've had an issue when adding transitions. Whenever a transition is added, all of the clips beneath it also transition. I haven't been able to find a real answer to this on the internet, with one forum post from a while ago(viewtopic.php?t=60611&p=346280), where I don't understand the solution. Is there some reason for this functionality? Is it a bug? is there some workaround?

Jack Swart

Re: Resolve 14 Transitions Grabbing all tracks beneath them

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 4:31 am

When you say clips do you mean you add a dissolve to the video track and you also get a dissolve (crossfade) on the audio tracks.

Switch off LINKING.

It is a little chain symbol next to the MAGNET symbol above the timeline

Or under TIMELINE, LINKED SELECTION menu.

Also when you select the cut point to change to a transition, it changes to green to show which tracks will receive the transition.

Alternately you can use TIMELINE, ADD VIDEO TRANSITION without switching off linking.

Also dragging and dropping a transition form the Effects Library will only affect the video track.

Many ways to skin a cat.....
2010 Mac Pro 5.1, OSX 10.12.6, DR 14.1.0.018 Studio
2 x 3.3GHz 6 core Intel, 48 GB ram
GTX Titan X 12GB graphics card, USB3 card, Deck Link MiniMonitor HD-SDI card
PCIe SSD 500GB boot disk, 4 x 6TB HD in softraid 5 usable 18TB
Tangent Elements TK panel

andrewrobert

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 2:21 am

Thanks for your reply Jack, but fades work fine, only applying to the track they are on, as would make sense. It is transitions from the effects library I'm having issues with. Sorry if that wasn't clear. An image is attached to show exactly what I am talking about this time. Thanks for your help, and I hope that we can get this figured out.
Attachments
resolveimage.PNG
screenshot of problem
resolveimage.PNG (53.95 KiB) Viewed 440 times

Robert Baker

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 1:24 pm

This was a previous problem that I thought was "resolved" in v14 but it has recently affected me as well. In a project I was working on I included an over-the-shoulder graphics which faded in but I needed it to push out. The push affected the main layer beneath. I have been searching for months for a fix since v12. While it is a minor relief to see that this issue is affected others and is repeatable it is a major issue that there is no apparent resolution. No thread I have seen mentions a fix for this problem.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 1:32 pm

Please make a phone video of your screen showing the tracks and where you place the transform so we can see your issue.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Robert Baker

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 12:55 pm

Here is a link to the video that shows the problems that certain transitions cause for all the tracks underneath it, not only the object you place the track on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vwgsdh2iw7v83 ... s.mp4?dl=0

Sam Steti

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 11:10 am

I've seen that too; don't remember my workaround (except maybe bu locking the track below ? or making it a compound clip before adding trans. to it ?)

Robert Baker

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 3:19 pm

Sam Steti wrote:I've seen that too; don't remember my workaround (except maybe bu locking the track below ? or making it a compound clip before adding trans. to it ?)

I've tried locking the track below and the problem still occurs. Which track do I make part of the compound clip?

Sam Steti

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 5:19 pm

It's just what I guess I tried, but making a compound of the title (not the track below) before adding the effect...

Robert Baker

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 10:17 am

Sam Steti wrote:It's just what I guess I tried, but making a compound of the title (not the track below) before adding the effect...

Yesterday I tried this method but on a Blur Dissolve transition the tracks underneath were once again affected.

I'm still waiting on a response for DR tech support after my uploaded video.

PeterMoretti

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 7:04 pm

Robert Baker wrote:Here is a link to the video that shows the problems that certain transitions cause for all the tracks underneath it, not only the object you place the track on.

Robert, I'm not saying that there is no problem, I honestly don't know.

But you mention Dip to Color in your video as being one of the worst offenders. What would you want Dip to Color to do? Shouldn't it affect the entire image in the frame? Or are you expecting it to only dip the text of the title to a specified color and leave the rest of the image in the frame untouched? If it's the latter, I have to say that I don't ever recall a dip to color working that way.

I hope I'm understanding your issue correctly.
Resolve 14.1.1 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 388.31 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.7. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10.

Peter Cave

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 8:06 pm

I tested this and can confirm the issue. Some transitions in Avid work the same way; the transition effect will affect all visible pixels, even on video tracks below the track with the transition. It's something that used to drive me crazy when editing with Avid.
Resolve 14
Mac OSX 10.11.6
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

PeterMoretti

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 10:11 pm

I *think* the issue here is figuring out when the "issue" is really an *issue*. Probably not very clear, lol.

But here's an example: Like I mentioned in my post above (unless I'm misunderstanding what's happening in Resolve which is entirely possible) a dip to color transition is supposed to affect the entire image, not just the track its applied to.

I thought maybe I was losing it b/c my experience is in Avid. So I also checked in Premiere Pro and indeed, even with video on V1, a dip to black transition applied to the beginning of text on V2 turns the entire frame black, not just the text.
Resolve 14.1.1 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 388.31 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.7. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10.

Peter Cave

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 11:40 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:I *think* the issue here is figuring out when the "issue" is really an *issue*. Probably not very clear, lol.

But here's an example: Like I mentioned in my post above (unless I'm misunderstanding what's happening in Resolve which is entirely possible) a dip to color transition is supposed to affect the entire image, not just the track its applied to.

I thought maybe I was losing it b/c my experience is in Avid. So I also checked in Premiere Pro and indeed, even with video on V1, a dip to black transition applied to the beginning of text on V2 turns the entire frame black, not just the text.

It's not dip to colour transitions that are the issue, it's push/slide style transitions and some others.
Resolve 14
Mac OSX 10.11.6
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

PeterMoretti

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 12:31 am

Peter, I was going off of what was said in this video:

Robert Baker wrote:Here is a link to the video that shows the problems that certain transitions cause for all the tracks underneath it, not only the object you place the track on.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 1:06 am

If you can show comparisons of the same effect working differently in multiple other editors we can review.
This hasn't changed for some time so i'm doubting its an issue.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Sam Steti

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 10:02 am

Peter, ,I'm not at the right place and thus cannot show you in a clip, but I could swear that in the first barn transition example of Robert's video, only the title would "open" itself (thus not the girl) on FCP7.

Robert Baker

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 12:47 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:But you mention Dip to Color in your video as being one of the worst offenders. What would you want Dip to Color to do? Shouldn't it affect the entire image in the frame? Or are you expecting it to only dip the text of the title to a specified color and leave the rest of the image in the frame untouched? If it's the latter, I have to say that I don't ever recall a dip to color working that way.

I hope I'm understanding your issue correctly.

Dip to color was just one of a few examples I showed. The push and slide transitions also affect all the tracks.

Robert Baker

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 1:38 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:If you can show comparisons of the same effect working differently in multiple other editors we can review.
This hasn't changed for some time so i'm doubting its an issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dchb8clc0kdzb ... s.mp4?dl=0

Robert Baker

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 2:39 am

Hi, Peter. Any comment about the last video I sent showing how other NLEs operate with transitions on higher tracks?

Return to DaVinci Resolve