Viewing custom aspect ratio during capture?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

James Smith

Viewing custom aspect ratio during capture?

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 11:27 pm

Hello,
I've just discovered this software and am blown away with how well made and designed it is.
In fact I am now considering purchasing a BlackMagic capture device of some sort but have an unusual question that is not easy to uncover the answer for first before buying..
During a capture session, from a live camera into capture device, is it possible to "monitor" the captured content in a custom aspect ratio?
As we know it is of course possible to set project settings to any aspect ratio wanted and then "adjust content/clips to make sense into this ratio as desired, but i am actually wondering if it would be possible to view this aspect ratio of the capture content itself while having a camera hooked up live to the capture device.
This would be for the purpose of properly framing the live subject/content within the final content frame as it is going to be in the project, rather than having to use ones imagination or do some fancy measurement preparations of some sort. Live creativity within the custom ratio is the goal.

I could see this being possible two ways... 1, the content could be captured in this custom aspect ratio permanently, or 2, the capture window could be framed in the custom aspect ratio despite the content being captured as a standard aspect ratio behind it. I'd be fine with either, however it might be nice to be able to retain the standard ratio behind the scenes so to speak..

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

James Smith

Re: Viewing custom aspect ratio during capture?

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 5:40 pm

anyone able to help?
thanks!

Return to DaVinci Resolve