Zooming in on RGB Parade/Waveform Scopes?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

TyBailey

Zooming in on RGB Parade/Waveform Scopes?

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 4:53 pm

I know there is a way to zoom in on the scopes to check a specific region more accurately.

However, lately when I'm balancing my image with a chip chart, I zoom in on the gray card [on the actual video, not the scopes] to have a closer look while I balancing. I was thinking how great it would be if while zooming in on the video preview, my scopes simultaneously would also crop in on the specific point to get a closer look as well on the waveform! Is there a feature that could link the zooming position of the video preview to the RGB waveform?

A workaround I've been doing is placing a power window around the chart where I want to only see that position on the RGB waveform. Otherwise, it's often too difficult to ascertain exactly where my gray chip is showing up. Obviously this takes longer and is redundant if I could just link the zoom on the video preview to the actual scopes.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Zooming in on RGB Parade/Waveform Scopes?

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 11:12 pm

You can zoom and scroll the scopes, they are not linked to viewer zoom though. Details in the manual.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

TyBailey

PostSat Jan 20, 2018 6:18 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:You can zoom and scroll the scopes, they are not linked to viewer zoom though. Details in the manual.

Thank you, Peter, for your reply. I'm familiar with zooming and scrolling on the scopes.

Perhaps this is just a feature request then. I think being able to link the zoom on the video preview to the scopes (as a toggle) would be greatly beneficial when making acute changes to color and contrast on a specific point in the image.

Is there a better place to make a feature request? I would love to post this somewhere formally if required!

Again, thank you for your reply!

Marc Wielage

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 12:42 am

TyBailey wrote:Perhaps this is just a feature request then. I think being able to link the zoom on the video preview to the scopes (as a toggle) would be greatly beneficial when making acute changes to color and contrast on a specific point in the image.

There are 3rd-party external scope companies that will let you zoom in on scopes to magnify certain designated parts of the image. The way I've usually done this is, I have multiple versions of the scope up at one time: a normal Vectroscope, a 3X zoomed-in Vectorscope, a normal Parade, a 5X zoomed-in Parade looking at the blacks, and so on.

Scopebox provides some useful options as well. In particular, the HML scopes changed my way of working, since now I had little "mini-Vectorscopes" looking at only highs, mids, and lows:

There are solid advantages for serious users to invest in external scopes. I don't dispute this may be overkill for casual Resolve users.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve