Can I move the Resolve Database to another Computer

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Holger Neuhaeuser

Can I move the Resolve Database to another Computer

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 8:33 pm

Hi
I´ve got a problem, maybe someone can help:

The computer I use for Resolve has been broken by the windows 10 fall creators update.
My Titanium X Nvidia card isn´t able to run properly anymore.
Nvidia drivers are broken, the system uses the Microsoft graphics driver
Therefore I can´t start Resolve anymore, because it sees no opencl card.

I´ve got a second computer, also with a Titanium card that I could use inbetween till the Nvidia drivers are updated.

As I can´t open Resolve on the busted computer I can´t do any proper export of a project to get running again.

Question:
Can I copy the Resolve database File (and the video files) to the other computer?
Will the database open there, an will I be able to relink the videofiles?
Can anybody tell me in which directory the database file can be found.

Thanks a lot

Regards
Holger

John Paines

Re: Can I move the Resolve Database to another Computer

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 9:07 pm

Assuming you're using the default local database:

C:\programdata\blackmagic design\davinci resolve\support\resolve disk database

If you copy the "resolve disk database" from the first computer and paste it into the corresponding location on the 2nd machine where you have a new Resolve installation (replacing the empty db folder created during install with the one from the first machine), it should work.

How difficult or easy it is to relink copied media files will depend how well you can mirror the folder/disk structure of the first computer. But you have a number of options -- relink individual files, folders, etc.

PeterMoretti

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 11:23 pm

Holder, I've shared databases between computers. But I've been told that copying a disk database from on computer to another is not a good idea and can corrupt the database. Apparently it can be done reliably with a postgres database.

My advice to you would buy a video card that you can Resolve on. You could even buy a used one and resell it. The hassle of changing your video card will be less than the hassle of transferring your database over to a different computer and then copying it back at a later date, IMHO.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

John Paines

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 11:41 pm

Well, if anyone's in mortal fear of doing what I suggested, then simply copy the project folder from the original database and past it into the new database at the appropriate folder level. This is no different than exporting a .drp from one system and importing it into another.

In either case, the original db will be unaffected. If there's a working db on the 2nd machine, you'd want to back it up, of course, before fiddling with it.

Chip.Murphy

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 3:55 am

I've copied dozens of disk databases to various machines and never encountered corruption. Go nuts.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 8:22 am

Copying disk databases is OK. Shared access by multiple machines is not. For that, you must use PostgreSQL databases.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Holger Neuhaeuser

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 11:33 am

Thanks a lot

Worked perfectly

Regards
Holger

ocelotdelta

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 4:48 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Copying disk databases is OK. Shared access by multiple machines is not. For that, you must use PostgreSQL databases.

hijacking this tread sorry. i have my resolve database on my windows desktops' internal storage D drive, i want to move the database to my C drive drop box folder so it can be backed up and also the project can be opened on my mac as well when im on the go, how do i do this?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 1:30 am

You can't use a Dropbox folder for a Resolve Disk database.
Dwaine Maggart

Andy Mees

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 3:22 am

ocelotdelta wrote:... and also the project can be opened on my mac as well when im on the go, how do i do this?

Hey Misha,

If you're working on a project that you need to access 'on the go', you can export that project to your Dropbox folder as a self contained '.drp' file (ie Davinci Resolve Project file) at the end of each session. You can then import that latest project from your Dropbox folder to your Mac's local Resolve database as and whenever needed.

It's a simple workflow that works very well for me when moving back and forth between locations.

Hope it helps
Andy
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

albertocv

PostTue Jan 28, 2020 7:56 am

Hello, I copied the file as suggested in the first answer. But on the new PC I see no projects. Does it hold also for the latest version of DaVinci?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 29, 2020 6:24 am

If Resolve 16 is the first thing you've installed on the new PC, then the disk database location is changed.

Instead of going here:

C:\programdata\blackmagic design\davinci resolve\support\resolve disk database

It will need to go here:

C:\Users\Dwaine\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database

Where Dwaine is replaced by the Windows user name you are logged into Windows as.
Dwaine Maggart

John_H

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 6:49 am

Hi Dwaine, you say
You can't use a Dropbox folder for a Resolve Disk database.

Is there any reason why you should not put file databases in a Google Drive folder? IE, a folder on the c drive that's being continuously backed up to the cloud?

It's my personal Google account, so there's no danger of another editor working on the same database at the same time on a different station, which might cause an overwrite as the G-drive attempts to sync from the cloud.

Thanks

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 6:56 am

We do not recommend any location - local network or file-syncing services or other - where there is a risk of simultaneous write access by more than one process/system for locating your Disk database. There is a non-zero risk of your database becoming corrupt and unrecoverable. For collaborative projects, we recommend using a PostGreSQL database which was designed for that purpose.

You can still use DropBox or Google drive or a network folder for backups - just not as a live working location.

More info on the kinds of databases can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190#21

John_H

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 7:45 am

Thanks Shrinivas

fleetaj

PostTue May 19, 2020 2:46 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Copying disk databases is OK. Shared access by multiple machines is not. For that, you must use PostgreSQL databases.

What about on a Mac? Does it have the same directory structure?

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostTue May 19, 2020 4:38 pm

The FAQ from two posts above shows the default locations on all platforms

Return to DaVinci Resolve