Resolve 14.0.1 stopped working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Victor van Dijk

Resolve 14.0.1 stopped working

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 11:32 am

I love DaVinci Resolve, however it just stopped working on my laptop running Windows 10 Pro version 1703 build 15063.674. It has worked fine until now.

When I open the program, I get to see the startup screen and then get to choose my projects.
But then when I double-click to open my project, I get a blank [i.e. 100% transparent] screen, without any error messages. I can see by pressing [alt+tab] that the program is running, just not displaying the program's contents.

My laptop is an MSI with Intel Core i7 and 16GB of RAM and a GeForce GT 750M version 382.05 driver.

Any suggestions what to do?

Thank you in advance!
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 beta End User

Andreas Schwarz

Re: Resolve 14.0.1 stopped working

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 1:08 pm

...did you reinstall Resolve already?

Victor van Dijk

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Andreas Schwarz wrote:...did you reinstall Resolve already?

Thank you for your reply, Andreas.
Yes, I have reinstalled Resolve 14.0.1, and updated my video driver to 388.13, but to no avail. :-(

Kays Alatrakchi

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 4:08 pm

Your CUDA and Nvidia drivers up to speed?
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Victor van Dijk

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 6:01 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:Your CUDA and Nvidia drivers up to speed?

Yes, Kays, I have updated my NVidia and CUDA drivers to the latest version.

Jean Claude

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 6:19 pm

After making a serious backup of my system: try to force Cuda to Opencl in the Davinci Resolve Control Panel.

You have a GTX750M and it could be that the GPU is a bit old for drivers Nvidia Actuels / Davinci Resolve ..

Take care: if you force Opencl and it does not work: you have to make a system restore ... to return to Auto or CUDA.

(I do not want to be responsible i nothing works anymore after :mrgreen: )
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

PeterMoretti

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 6:39 pm

Yes, I believe you can press Ctrl , at the database screen to open the screen where you can change the GPU selection.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Victor van Dijk

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 9:47 am

PeterMoretti wrote:Yes, I believe you can press Ctrl , at the database screen to open the screen where you can change the GPU selection.

Thank you Peter for your reply.

I may not quite understand what you wrote, but I went ahead and held down [ctrl] while clicking on one of my databases in the database/projects screen. This unfortunately did not work, I'm not getting into the main program or any place where I might tweak the behavior of it.

Victor van Dijk

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 9:58 am

Jean Claude wrote:After making a serious backup of my system: try to force Cuda to Opencl in the Davinci Resolve Control Panel.

You have a GTX750M and it could be that the GPU is a bit old for drivers Nvidia Actuels / Davinci Resolve ..

Take care: if you force Opencl and it does not work: you have to make a system restore ... to return to Auto or CUDA.

(I do not want to be responsible i nothing works anymore after :mrgreen: )

Thank you Jean Claude for your answer. As I wrote, my GT750M worked fine with the free version of Resolve 14.0.1 up until last Sunday, so I don't think there is a problem there. Also, as I understand, BMD has been working hard to make Resolve 14 work on older laptops as well.

The problem is, I can't get past the databases/projects screen. Whenever I double-click a project to open it, I get a blank screen and no error messages. And in the databases/projects screen, I don't see an option to tweak any behavior at all, just the regular 'view-options' buttons.

PeterMoretti

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 11:39 am

Victor van Dijk wrote:
PeterMoretti wrote:Yes, I believe you can press Ctrl , at the database screen to open the screen where you can change the GPU selection.

Thank you Peter for your reply.

I may not quite understand what you wrote, but I went ahead and held down [ctrl] while clicking on one of my databases in the database/projects screen. This unfortunately did not work, I'm not getting into the main program or any place where I might tweak the behavior of it.
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

What I would try is pressing "Ctrl ," when you are at the first screen where you can select the project to open. That should bring you to the DaVinci Resolve Preferences window. Choose Hardware Configuration from the list on the left side. And try a different setting for GPU processing mode, probably OpenCL. And see if that helps.

Good luck!
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Victor van Dijk

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 3:29 pm

Sorry for the delay, I waited til I had a fast internet connection to download and install version 14.1 of Resolve. I hoped it would solve my problem, but unfortunately, no, it did not solve it.

I still have the problem that I start up Resolve 14.1, get to see the project panel, can double click to open a project, and then get stuck with a totally blank screen, ie my desktop.

I did try to open project settings by holding down ctrl and then click on a project, but to no avail.

Any help?

Thanxx!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 8:00 am

Please try the new 14.1.1 version which was just released.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Victor van Dijk

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 9:38 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Please try the new 14.1.1 version which was just released.

Dear Peter,

I just upgraded to version 14.1.1, like you recommended. However, the problem remains.
Only diffference is, that now,I can see the project loading. Then I get a fully transparant screen, and when I close that, I get the message if I want to save my project.
Very strange!

Could you help me out or do a remote session of some kind?

Victor van Dijk

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 9:40 pm

I have found the solution to this conundrum!

Turns out, I had been using Resolve with a 2nd monitor attached to my laptop, and whenever the app started to run its main program, it output it to the extended desktop on my 2nd monitor, without any chance of changing Resolves monitor settings on my laptop!
That explains why it went invisible on my laptop!

STILL, I do think that it's an issue that should be Resolved (pun intended) in an upcoming version, like having the main program jump back to the primary (laptop) screen once no 2nd screen is attached!

SOLVED!

Return to DaVinci Resolve