Resolve 12.x to 14?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Darko Gavrilovic

Resolve 12.x to 14?

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi, I have all my work on 12.x

I am downloading the latest patch 12.5.6

Can anyone tell me, is there a good reason to update to 14? I am more worried about whether there are greatest system requirements.

Jeff Hewett

Re: Resolve 12.x to 14?

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 6:38 pm

I would look at the new list of features and determine if there are things you really need in version 14. I didn't see a mention of whether you are using the studio or free version. I upgraded to the studio version when 14 was released and saw significant improvements in playback speed on H.264 files. It actually eliminated my need to use optimized media for 4k on my particular system. YMMV. However, 14 has been so unstable for me that I will likely be going back to the 12.5 version unless there's some sign of stabilization in the 14 branch. I've had at least 40 or 50 crashes since installing (about 5 just yesterday trying to render out a final), not to mention quite a few other errors. I provide that warning because it's not just a matter of upgrade and get a new list of features. Personally, I consider stability one of the most valuable features. You can always back up your database and give the free version a try to see how it goes. Depending on your particular system, you may have better results. Just make sure you test out thoroughly on some non-critical work.
Davinci Resolve Studio 14.2.1.007, Windows 10, Version 1703
Intel® Core™ i7-7820HK, Nvidia GTX1070, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD

Darko Gavrilovic

Re: Resolve 12.x to 14?

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 2:37 pm

thanks for the reply. i use the free version. i dont use it professionally yet. i will probably stick to 12 as i have yet to use all the features. i think i need stability more than features in my case.

Return to DaVinci Resolve