Multicam audio distortion

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Doug Knutson

Multicam audio distortion

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 4:13 am

Trying myfirst Multicam edit in Ver 14.1 - a very simple edit with 2 cameras and 1 audio-only track. When I "Open in Timeline" I can't seem to mute unwanted tracks without also disabling the associated video track. What happened to the little speaker icons for audio as in ver 12.5? I can only Solo the audio I want (i.e. the audio-only track). And when I go back to the Multicam timeline the audio sounds "muffled" and distorted. There are occasional peaking distortions/pops even though the levels are far from the red??? Anyone else had problems with Multicam in ver 14?

Romualdas Budriunas

Re: Multicam audio distortion

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 10:17 am

Several suggestions for checking ("feature, not a bug"):
1. Check audio track type - by default, it is "Auto tracks" which doesn't work properly and results in mono sound - change to Stereo.
2. Keep in mind that any sound level edits done in Multicam timeline are in effect, but waveforms in the resulting timeline are not updated (remain at initial source levels).

Paul Ingvarsson

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 10:51 pm

I would suggest you choose the audio "angle" you want to use, then right click on the audio clip and flatten multicam clip. That way you won't have issues with multicam audio.
Paul Ingvarsson
StormHD
Strongbox DX-G (Dual e5-2690 v3 64GB)
RTX3090 | Decklink 4K Pro
Eizo CG3145
Resolve 17.3.1
Windows 10 Pro 19042.1202

Doug Knutson

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 3:39 am

Thanks for your replies.
Changing the audio track type doesn't do anything
Flattening the clip seems like an irreversible step - no going back into multicam editing once that is done. I will try and see if flattening solves the problem though.

Paul Ingvarsson

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 6:10 am

I meant only flatten the audio part of the clip, not the video. In most cases you don't need to multicam switch audio anyway.
Paul Ingvarsson
StormHD
Strongbox DX-G (Dual e5-2690 v3 64GB)
RTX3090 | Decklink 4K Pro
Eizo CG3145
Resolve 17.3.1
Windows 10 Pro 19042.1202

Doug Knutson

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 6:58 pm

I got a reply from Daria at Goat's Eye View:

You're absolutely right! I haven't had the opportunity to work with multimedia since the release of 14, but I've just tried constructing an edit and found the same issues you have. Yes, you now need to use the M(mute) key instead of the speaker icon to turn off an audio track. And yes, the audio is now permanently linked to its respective camera angle - turning off the link icon in the toolbar, and even right-clicking and deselecting Link Clips has no effect! I've found a couple of workarounds for this: - You can right-click on the audio track and select Disable (shortcut D) to turn off the audio for that camera angle; OR - Since the relationship is based on the number of the video/audio tracks and not the media itself, if you move the audio clip to a different track (for example Track 3) you can mute it without affecting the video (assuming its corresponding video track 3 has no video media on it). As for the audio quality - it is possible that the audio that is being played back is from one of your camera channels. With the multi-cam in your timeline, right-click on the audio track and select Switch Multicam Clip Angle > (choose correct audio track).

deezid

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 1:08 am

Still an issue in Resolve 16.1.1
Audio in Multicam tracks is distorted for whatever reason
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K and UMP12K here:
https://55media.net/55mluts/

Jim Simon

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 4:35 pm

The inability to properly Mute is still around, but I haven't had any problems with the sound quality in a Multicam edit.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve