Resolve 14: de-fisheye?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kaitlyn McLachlan

Resolve 14: de-fisheye?

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 8:20 pm

This would be the ONLY thing I'd get studio for, so not sure it worth it - wondering if there are any free/cheap plugins which could help de-fisheye my GoPro video footage? Would ideally like it as part of the editing workflow instead of having to pre-process those clips and having extra video files sitting arouns

Jack Fairley

Re: Resolve 14: de-fisheye?

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 8:35 pm

Studio has a lens correction feature. You can test it to see how it looks with watermark in the free version, use the inspector on the edit page.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Kaitlyn McLachlan

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 6:11 am

Jack Fairley wrote:Studio has a lens correction feature. You can test it to see how it looks with watermark in the free version, use the inspector on the edit page.

Yeah but as I mentioned, it's basically the ONLY reason I'd get the studio version. At least with where I'm at right now. Was hoping there would be a cheaper option/free plug-in somewhere to accomplish just this...

Jack Swart

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 6:43 am

Cheaper than $299 with noise reduction thrown in for free?

I'd like to see that.

BTW the GoPro app does exactly that for $299 less.
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

Kaitlyn McLachlan

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 6:54 am

Jack Swart wrote:Cheaper than $299 with noise reduction thrown in for free?

I'd like to see that.

BTW the GoPro app does exactly that for $299 less.

Meh have never tried the noise reduction. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing :)

Yeah I think the GoPro at least was having issues with the Hero5. Maybe not anymore. But also I believe it generates new files, whereas I'd love to have it as one of the processing steps, more seamless...

I want my cake and eat it too! :)

Dave Shortman

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 8:54 am

I had some low light footage from a GoPro just recently (GoPro 3) which was more or less unusable until I put it through the noise reduction in Studio 12.5 so if you ever shoot in low light you are probably going to want the noise reduction

PeterMoretti

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 5:02 pm

Kaitlyn, the main reason for me to get Studio was the increased performance with H.264 footage in Windows. The difference is **very** appreciable and worth the price alone for me. Temporal NR is great to have, and I don't mind giving BMD $$ for all of their hard work.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Kaitlyn McLachlan

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 5:07 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:Kaitlyn, the main reason for me to get Studio was the increased performance with H.264 footage in Windows. The difference is **very** appreciable and worth the price alone for me. Temporal NR is great to have, and I don't mind giving BMD $$ for all of their hard work.

The lower price anomaly hellos, but at the same time it's very much a hobby for me and I'm very very basic when it comes to video. If I were to grow, it SEEMS like premiere is better with video editing/transitions, whereas color grading is quite low on my list (not producing top quality cinematic film...), and so I'm white unsure what the future holds for me and resolve!

PeterMoretti

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 6:18 pm

Okay, let me take a stab at this, FWIW. As a full fledged editor, Premiere and Avid are better. But that better really shows itself when working with lots of footage. Then their advantages in terms of using the keyboard only, managing bins, metadata, adding specific markers on the fly, adjusting clip gain, handling of audio effects and stopping video and audio playback at the same time (Resolve actually continues playing audio on the Edit Page for another six frames after video has stopped playing--super annoying when trying to cut to audio) really start to shine.

But for even moderately sized projects, Resolve is plenty capable. And I certainly wouldn't waste the money on Premiere for such work. esp. since you need an active subscription to open your projects.

I also have Adobe Creative Cloud and Avid Media Composer. So I can use whatever I want. The last thing I cut on Resolve had only three color corrected clips. Would it have gone more smoothly in Avid or even Premiere? Yes, but Resolve is getting more and more capable with every release. So I'm willing to work it hard, see where it breaks and communicate that back to the community. And I believe doing that makes the program better because the Resolve team is actually reachable, responsive and reasonable. That means a lot. Walter Murch, only the greatest editor to ever live:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004555/?ref_=nv_sr_1#editor

Couldn't get two of the other NLE makers to really pay attention to him. While Peter and Dwaine regularly respond here. That means a lot!!!
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Kaitlyn McLachlan

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 8:16 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:Okay, let me take a stab at this, FWIW. As a full fledged editor, Premiere and Avid are better. But that better really shows itself when working with lots of footage. Then their advantages in terms of using the keyboard only, managing bins, metadata, adding specific markers on the fly, adjusting clip gain, handling of audio effects and stopping video and audio playback at the same time (Resolve actually continues playing audio on the Edit Page for another six frames after video has stopped playing--super annoying when trying to cut to audio) really start to shine.

But for even moderately sized projects, Resolve is plenty capable. And I certainly wouldn't waste the money on Premiere for such work. esp. since you need an active subscription to open your projects.

I also have Adobe Creative Cloud and Avid Media Composer. So I can use whatever I want. The last thing I cut on Resolve had only three color corrected clips. Would it have gone more smoothly in Avid or even Premiere? Yes, but Resolve is getting more and more capable with every release. So I'm willing to work it hard, see where it breaks and communicate that back to the community. And I believe doing that makes the program better because the Resolve team is actually reachable, responsive and reasonable. That means a lot. Walter Murch, only the greatest editor to ever live:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004555/?ref_=nv_sr_1#editor

Couldn't get two of the other NLE makers to really pay attention to him. While Peter and Dwaine regularly respond here. That means a lot!!!

Maybe it's my lack of knowledge or familiarity, but it seems resolve it quite limiting in terms of transitions it effects while others have more of them built in?

PeterMoretti

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 9:17 pm

Kaitlyn, the Studio version has more effects. And you can actually get free effects to add to Resolve.

For example: https://hitfilm.com/ignite-express

And there are free and cheap LUT packs all over the web that you can use in Resolve.

So I have to say that I don't find the current offering of effects and transitions in Resolve Studio lacking. That said, I have been concentrating more on things like performance and usability for fast editing, and less on if there is a certain transition or effect that I need.

Also, the whole color grading part of Resolve can be looked at as an effect generator in and of itself.

Sam Steti

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 9:28 am

Kaitlyn, what you're looking for is just a lens correction, that's to say to get your image twisted back to roughly 127 to 141%, depending on the gopro fisheye values.
I'm used to do it inside Resolve now, with a OFX plug-in (just because I used this very plug-in too inside FCP7 a few years ago), but it can be achieved with any lens corrector in any NLE.

Guys here around are totally right when the suggest the studio version, but it's not relevant to buy anything JUST for this. I think they want to have you taking other advantages into account, especially with a gopro that everybody knows it needs very good lighting otherwise you quickly have a lot of noise on gopros clips.
So try to find any lens corrector or image warper in your favorite NLE and make tests on it. Usually it comes with onscreen inside/outside circles tool you just enlarge and adust...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to DaVinci Resolve