Resolve 14 sees 6 channel poly WAV files as 5.1

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Burk Finley

Resolve 14 sees 6 channel poly WAV files as 5.1

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 10:23 pm

I'm having an issue when I bring some poly WAV files recorded on a Sound Devices mixer into Resolve 14.1.

I use Resolve to apply LUTs and sync WAV files with camera clips for screeners/dailies, which generally works great. We use lockit boxes on all cameras so sync is straight forward.

However, for 6 channel poly WAV files, Resolve automatically recognizes them as 5.1 surround, as opposed to 6 discreet mono tracks. The result is only the first channel from the WAV file being audible when I drag it it to the timeline or sync, since I have my timeline audio tracks set to mono by default.

4 and 5 channel poly files don't have this issue, but for 6 channel poly files have to manually change them to mono in "clip attributes" - making sure all 6 channels are recognized so I can delete any channels I don't want.

Is there a way around this, or is it a bug?

Thanks.
Attachments
6 channel poly WAV .png
6 channel poly WAV .png (119.47 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
Post Supervisor
Lusid Media

Jamie LeJeune

Re: Resolve 14 sees 6 channel poly WAV files as 5.1

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 3:07 am

In the clip attributes audio tab (that appears in your screenshot) just change the format to "mono" and tracks to "6"
That should match what you captured.
It can be done in a batch, by highlighting the bin(s) containing the clips and using command (or control) A to "select all" and you can take care of the clips in just a few clicks.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Burk Finley

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 3:31 pm

Thanks Jamie - that's what I've resorted to, first sifting the WAV files in a bin (or card volume) since not all the WAV files have 6 channels, and therefore do not exhibit this issue.

Would be great if in Resolve (as in some other software), a preference could be changed on the front end to interpret WAV files as mono instead of 5.1, 7.1, etc.

It's just another step that would be great to skip when moving quickly.
Post Supervisor
Lusid Media

Sergei Franklin

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 12:08 am

Same problem with 2 channel audio seen as stereo.
This makes no sense. I have never been on a set where sound is recorded as 5.1 or stereo.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 12:26 am

Burk Finley wrote:I'm having an issue when I bring some poly WAV files recorded on a Sound Devices mixer into Resolve 14.1.

I use Resolve to apply LUTs and sync WAV files with camera clips for screeners/dailies, which generally works great. We use lockit boxes on all cameras so sync is straight forward.

However, for 6 channel poly WAV files, Resolve automatically recognizes them as 5.1 surround, as opposed to 6 discreet mono tracks. The result is only the first channel from the WAV file being audible when I drag it it to the timeline or sync, since I have my timeline audio tracks set to mono by default.

4 and 5 channel poly files don't have this issue, but for 6 channel poly files have to manually change them to mono in "clip attributes" - making sure all 6 channels are recognized so I can delete any channels I don't want.

Is there a way around this, or is it a bug?

Thanks.

This happens when programmers are trying to be to clever :)
There is probably bit of code which when sees 6 channels assumes it's 5.1 surround, which of course can be correct, but in many case not correct as well.

Elliott Balsley

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 1:00 am

It has been this way in older versions too. It's annoying, and I wish there were a way to make mono the default. I think what you're doing now is the best way, unfortunately.
Elliott C. Balsley
DIT, Colorist, Cinematographer
www.llamafilm.com

Burk Finley

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 1:05 am

Sergei Franklin wrote:Same problem with 2 channel audio seen as stereo.
This makes no sense. I have never been on a set where sound is recorded as 5.1 or stereo.

5.1 on set? We do it all the time! (not)

Thanks for the responses - content to batch convert WAV file interpretations for now, given that Resolve is still my favorite tool for syncing dailies and applying color for producers, not to mention best in class render speeds.
Post Supervisor
Lusid Media

Return to DaVinci Resolve