Resolve clip replacement automatically in timeline?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Martin Obst

Resolve clip replacement automatically in timeline?

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 1:58 pm

Resolve Workflow

(#1) Just recorded the Video and Audio putting the media in the media pool (#2).
Audio as WAV. Video as MP4 some codecs H.264 / GoPro Raw

(#3) Meanwhile on the Workstation the sound is leveled through a Digital Audio Workstation.
(#4) Also the Video is chromakeyed by Fusion.

But let's move on and put the original media into the rough cut timeline (#5).
Transitions are made, clips are put in right sequence. The in and out points of clips are defined. As we have longer video takes, these take can be cut in the timeline to several clips with different in and out points. (#6) Chroma key is done "rough" in the color page.

We are doing some title work and the rough cut can be rendered in Resolve. - First workpackage done (#7).

In the SFX section Fusion does great work. Using only cleanplate and delta keyer the output is done by DPX (#8) (so the alpha chanel can be transfered to Resolve).

Time to polish!
Back in Resolve the corrected Audio files were put in the media pool (#9). In the timeline I can manually do some cuts - not a big thing, one channel mainly, having the dodgy sound from the videocamera the audio is arranged (#10). - Quick done, great effect!

Now the chroma keyed DPX files are put in the media pool (#11).
And my issue begins. The "video file of the camera" has the same length / frames as the "corrected Fusion DPX file". I have a different name to visualize it modified (#12). The file extension is also diffent (MP4 vs. DPX) (#13).
I would love to automaticly switch from the "rough Chroma Key" to the DPX-Files of Fusion (#14).
But I didn't find a switch to do so.

If I would like to copy the in and out points from the timeline clips to the clips of Fusion DPX - but how to handle (#15)?

Is there a big workflow mistake - or can I simple switch from one rough-Video to a polished one, copying the in and out points (and position, scale)?

courious greetings,
martin

Return to DaVinci Resolve