How to rotate shot w tracking, to level wobbly horizon v.14?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Vlad Hrybok

How to rotate shot w tracking, to level wobbly horizon v.14?

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 10:14 pm

Hi,

I have many hand-held shots that start with non-level horizon, and then camera person noticing the problem mid-shot and correcting it. I end up with horizon that varies in its rotation through the shot quite a bit. Can Tracking/Stabilization, or any other technique in version 14, be used to track and correct the rotation. I didn't manage to find any tutorial for that.

Thanks,
Vlad.

Marc Wielage

Re: How to rotate shot w tracking, to level wobbly horizon v

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 6:11 am

Vlad Hrybok wrote:Can Tracking/Stabilization, or any other technique in version 14, be used to track and correct the rotation. I didn't manage to find any tutorial for that.

Yes, it can to a point but be aware that the stabilization process will require blowing up the image a little bit. In some cases, I've found you have to do a little bit of PTZR keyframes to "help" the stabilizing a little bit if it's a handheld shot.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jamie Dickinson

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 11:28 pm

Does it work if you use the classic stabiliser and turn off all the options apart from rotate?

Vlad Hrybok

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 4:16 am

Jamie Dickinson wrote:Does it work if you use the classic stabiliser and turn off all the options apart from rotate?

I actually need the rest of the stabilization besides rotation, so I can't turn it off.

Thank you much,
Vlad.

Vlad Hrybok

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 4:19 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Yes, it can to a point but be aware that the stabilization process will require blowing up the image a little bit. In some cases, I've found you have to do a little bit of PTZR keyframes to "help" the stabilizing a little bit if it's a handheld shot.

Would you mind providing some guidance on how to do it? I don't mind blowing image up a bit, as that's what happens with stabilization anyway. Also, I am not familiar with `PTRZ` term.

Thank you,
Vlad.

Return to DaVinci Resolve