Mac PostgreSQL System Requirements?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Travis Marshall

Mac PostgreSQL System Requirements?

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 2:54 pm

We are building out a shared storage system for our Resolve rooms, and thus will need to host a PostgreSQL database server -- preferably on a separate machine host to allow access regardless of what edit machines are up and running at a given time.

I know the common solution is to buy a Mac Mini for the job of database server, but I'm wondering if it's possible to reuse one of our old field Macbook Pros for the job. I searched the configuration guide but didn't find a minimum system requirement for database server host.

It's an older model, late-2011, with a 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, and Gigabit Ethernet.

Obviously this would be anemic for working in Resolve, but is it enough to host a database server for Resolve clients?

Thanks!

Henrik Cednert

Re: Mac PostgreSQL System Requirements?

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 5:51 pm

How many rooms and clients? How many projects and how big?

We had a MacMini (2014 I think) for it and it worked fine for a while. But when the number of clients rose to like 6-8 things got heavy. I took an old MacPro 4,1, stuffed an Areca raid card in it and took 6 256GB SSD's I had on shelf and build a Raid 6 in it. Stuffed a 10GB Myricom card in it and put it on our "highspeed" network. huge difference. Most probably overkill but build form spare parts we had and for sure worth it.

Travis Marshall wrote:We are building out a shared storage system for our Resolve rooms, and thus will need to host a PostgreSQL database server -- preferably on a separate machine host to allow access regardless of what edit machines are up and running at a given time.

I know the common solution is to buy a Mac Mini for the job of database server, but I'm wondering if it's possible to reuse one of our old field Macbook Pros for the job. I searched the configuration guide but didn't find a minimum system requirement for database server host.

It's an older model, late-2011, with a 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, and Gigabit Ethernet.

Obviously this would be anemic for working in Resolve, but is it enough to host a database server for Resolve clients?

Thanks!
Henrik Cednert | cto | cbb | Filmlance International | www.filmlance.se

Travis Marshall

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 6:14 pm

How many rooms and clients? How many projects and how big?

Sorry I should have mentioned that earlier. 3 full-time clients, with possibly a 4th sporadically.

Sounds like I need a beefier host based on your information. Thanks for your help!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 7:02 am

A top of the line MacMini will usually be ok for a few clients. Certainly not an old laptop.

As Henrick mentioned, if you have half a dozen users a more powerful server is recommended.

We have users with 20 clients, with the matching server class system to suit.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve