Resolve 14.1 Video Levels bug?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

NickPrice

Resolve 14.1 Video Levels bug?

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi all
I upgraded from 14.01 to 14.1 in the final stage of a edit/grade project (don't worry i backed up so all is well...), and I noticed that .mts video clips from a Canon C100 that previously had the data levels in clip attributes set to Auto, were suddenly much darker after upgrading. I could tell immediately because i had a ProRes export (also set at Auto in the delivery tab on export) on a top track of the timeline so i could compare the colours exactly. It isnt a monitoring issue as the export looks 'right' and the clips underneath now look 'dark'.

If I change the .mts clips to 'Data' instead of 'Auto' then they go back to the correct levels according to the ProRes export. On 'Video' they are too 'dark'. So in 14.1 these .mts clips were originally defaulting to Full, are now defaulting to Video.

Weirdly any clips that weren't .mts including slomo mov clips from the the same camera were the correct brightness.

I have been monitoring using a grading monitor throughout and have also watched the ProRes export in a screening room so i know what the film should look like.

So it is 'fixed' but should .mts files be defaulting to video or data levels?

thanks
nick

Return to DaVinci Resolve