postgres Database strangeness...

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

John Burton

postgres Database strangeness...

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 10:28 pm

I noticed this in the final release of 12 and it continues in 14.

I've been running flawlessly with a remote mac on 10.12.6 hooked up via 10 gb/s to a windows machine. For some reason now when the mac is powered off the windows machine won't connect to the postgres database. Which lives on the windows machine. In v14.1 I can open the "Project Server" and see the database, I can access everything but when I run Resolve it won't let me connect. But when I power on the mac it all works fine. What am I missing? I've been running this setup for over a year and am confident that this didn't used to be the case. I remember I could run the Windows machine and access the database even with the mac powered down.

??

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: postgres Database strangeness...

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 12:05 am

On the Windows machine, where the PostgreSQL server is running, what IP address do you have for the PostgreSQL database in question, in the Resolve Project Manager page Database area? If it's not 127.0.0.1, try connecting to the database at that address and see if that works.

You can see the PostgreSQL IP addresses by toggling the Information button on, at that top of the Database area.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 7:33 am

Cant for the life of me explain why switching of the mac would effect your windows machine to connect to its local db other then :
1 you are actualy connecting to a db on the mac while thinking you use a db on the win machine
2 you have some crazy network setup /routing that somehow gets messed up when you switch off the mac.
My guess would be option 1
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

John Burton

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 3:07 pm

Hi Dwaine,

I appreciate the response.

I had done this so long ago it took me a bit to figure things out.

So I had the Database in the Project Manager (On both machines) pointed to the host/Windows computers IP, but I see in the nifty Davinci Resolve Project Server that it is indeed assigned 127.0.0.1. I was able to switch and connect the Windows machine to 127.0.0.1, but as I assumed the Mac won't connect to that addy. So I'm guessing I leave the Mac with the Windows machine's IP - as it was?

Thanks again Dwaine.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 10:32 pm

@John: Yes, the Mac side database connection needs to keep the Windows IP address, not 127.0.0.1, which is a local address.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

John Burton

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 3:14 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@John: Yes, the Mac side database connection needs to keep the Windows IP address, not 127.0.0.1, which is a local address.

Thanks Dwaine! Working well... :)

Have a great Holiday

Return to DaVinci Resolve