File naming/handling issue with DNG sequences

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Garret Layman

File naming/handling issue with DNG sequences

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 3:16 pm

I'm using Resolve 14 and Premiere in a roundtrip project consisting of DNG sequences. The problem I'm having is that Resolve doesn't apply the names of each DNG sequence accurately.

As an example, I have several DNG sequences which themselves are each a folder containing the image files and a .wav file. The folders are titled M30-1250, M30-1251, M30-1252, etc. When I import these into Resolve they would show up as M30 [start frame number-end frame number] so every piece of footage is essentially named M30. If I drop all of these into a timeline and export proxies using the source file name Resolve will render a file called M30-000000000.mov but repeatedly overwrite that file with each clip rendered. When it's finished I'm left with the last file in the timeline and that's it.

When I initially had this problem the only workaround I could find was just to have Resolve create unique file names so that they would all render as individual clips. However, now that I have an edit in Premiere I'm unable to get Resolve to automatically link the footage from the XML file back to the DNGs due to the unique names.

So basically my project is a huge mess at the moment. I'm wondering if there's a way to either force Resolve to use the folder names as the clip names so I can re-render proxies for Premiere and complete the roundtrip or force it to link the correct DNG files to the XML sequence that I exported.

Hector Berrebi

Re: File naming/handling issue with DNG sequences

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 6:32 pm

Garret Layman wrote:So basically my project is a huge mess at the moment. I'm wondering if there's a way to either force Resolve to use the folder names as the clip names so I can re-render proxies for Premiere and complete the roundtrip or force it to link the correct DNG files to the XML sequence that I exported.

Did you look into using the Conform from Bins option? P. 592 in manual
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Garret Layman

Re: File naming/handling issue with DNG sequences

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 12:10 am

I had not tried that but it was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Hector!

I guess I'll try the manual first next time...

Return to DaVinci Resolve