Launch Hangs on 'Checking Licenses'

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Greg Huson

Launch Hangs on 'Checking Licenses'

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 1:42 am

Hey

I've brought this up before but the answer offered was that there's a limitation with my computer. But... How do I solve it?? (I looked through my old posts, but couldn't find the thread.)

Mac OSx 10.11.6 on a 12-core cheese grater, 48g ram, Resolve 4.1, etc.

The problem: If I have USB drives plugged into the PCIe USB3 card (Cal Digit, I think) in the expansion chassis, Resolve will hang checking licenses. Requires full restart to recover as something happens to the GPU when I force-quit resolve.

I've been working around this for over a year, and it's making me crazy. Partly because <CMD> W (as in: wipe to reference) and <CMD> Q (as in: quit with save but without confirmation) are directly adjacent to each other, and partly because my CPU is down the hall! The whole reboot cycle and getting back into the project can take 5 or more minutes considering the mutliple trips down the hall, how long Mac takes to restart, etc. It's frustrating enough when Resolve crashes on its own, not often, but doubly frustrating when I hit the wrong key!

The Resolve dongle is plugged directly to the USB2 on the back of the CPU - right into the motherboard. Other USB devices are- it's a mac - so, keyboard, mouse, and tangent element panels (3) USB2 extended to a powered hub. (There's an Avid dongle on the CPU, too, but I still have the same problem if I pull the Avid dongle.)

If I recall correctly, there's some artificial limit to the number of USB devices handled by the OS or something like that?

I don't have this problem when the external drives are eSata or SAS, but some of the raw-media RAIDs I'm using right now are USB-3.

Can anyone tip me off on how to solve this 'can't read the license when there are USB drives plugged in' problem, without having to give up the USB drives or build a new computer?

Thanks in advance for your expertise!
GH
----------------------------------------------------
Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Post Production / Production
Santa Monica, CA
323 677 2092
www.SecretHQ.com
greg (at) SecretHQ.com

Jack Fairley

Re: Launch Hangs on 'Checking Licenses'

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 1:51 am

Why not contact the BMD support department and try using the activation code method?
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=64727
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Greg Huson

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 4:20 am

Jack Fairley wrote:Why not contact the BMD support department and try using the activation code method?
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=64727

Great idea, but doesn't help at all. Support sent me the code, quickly and chearfully, it loads no problem and is activated. BUT, apparently, Resolve looks for the dongle FIRST before looking for the code. Since it hangs looking for the USB dongle, it still hangs, even if I'm using the code.

Uhg.
GH
----------------------------------------------------
Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Post Production / Production
Santa Monica, CA
323 677 2092
www.SecretHQ.com
greg (at) SecretHQ.com

PeterMoretti

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 4:35 am

Greg, if you can't find a real solution, maybe changing the Cmd W shortcut to a different combination of keys would at least make hitting Cmd Q my mistake less likely.

Or probably better yet, change/remove the Cmd Q shortcut for quitting Resolve.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Return to DaVinci Resolve