Clip volume mixer & Audio meter settings in v14

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Luigi Zumpano

Clip volume mixer & Audio meter settings in v14

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi everybody! I'm an Edius user and I'm trying to use Resolve for a work to see the software potential and maybe make a switch.
Resolve seems great but it's lacking some really basic functions, or maybe it's my fault to be not able to find the options I need, so here I'm asking you:

1) Is there a mixer for audio clip volume ? slider is annoying/imprecise to use, and I know in 12.5 there was a track/clip audio mixer.

2) I'd like to change the audio meter settings to match the one I use in Edius, I saw that in 12.5 this could be changed in Project settings / Audio.

At the moment I like a lot the Media/Edit/Color sections and I'd buy the Studio today, but I don't understand if I don't see the functions I need or they are simply gone from 12.5, like the "pan" adjustments, I'm not able to do them on "edit", and Fairlight is slow to use and affects the whole track so for me is useless at the moment.

Hope to find it's just my fault!

Dermot Shane

Re: Clip volume mixer & Audio meter settings in v14

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 5:50 pm

fairlight is just as broken in studio

Reynaud Venter

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 6:05 pm

Luigi Zumpano wrote:1) Is there a mixer for audio clip volume ? slider is annoying/imprecise to use, and I know in 12.5 there was a track/clip audio mixer.
Page 477 of the manual.

There are four methods to change Clip Gain:
(1) select an Audio Clip, open the Inspector, double click the gain value, and enter a new value.
(2) Option-Command-Plus and Option-Command-Minus shortcuts to increase/decrease gain by 1dB
(3) Clip menu > Increase/Decrease audio Level 3 dB commands (which are unassigned by default)
(4) drag the white Clip Gain Line on the Audio Clip with the mouse (which may include gain nodes)

2) I'd like to change the audio meter settings to match the one I use in Edius, I saw that in 12.5 this could be changed in Project settings / Audio.
Which metering settings have you specified in Edius?

You can specify Mixer channel metering to be pre- or post-fader in Preferences, along with Loudness standard for the Control Room.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Luigi Zumpano

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 6:58 pm

Page 477 of the manual.

There are four methods to change Clip Gain:
(1) select an Audio Clip, open the Inspector, double click the gain value, and enter a new value.
(2) Option-Command-Plus and Option-Command-Minus shortcuts to increase/decrease gain by 1dB
(3) Clip menu > Increase/Decrease audio Level 3 dB commands (which are unassigned by default)
(4) drag the white Clip Gain Line on the Audio Clip with the mouse (which may include gain nodes)

Thanks a lot for the reply ! I knew method 1,2 & 4, but I'd like it if the slider was smoother than it is.

Which metering settings have you specified in Edius?

You can specify Mixer channel metering to be pre- or post-fader in Preferences, along with Loudness standard for the Control Room.

meter.jpg
meter.jpg (11.91 KiB) Viewed 5861 times

I attached an image of the settings I use on Edius for the meter levels, with an audio reference level of -20dB.

Reynaud Venter

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 7:03 pm

Luigi Zumpano wrote:I'd like it if the slider was smoother than it is.
The slider is never used, always prefer shortcuts (fast), entering a custom gain value (precision) or gain nodes (flexibility).

I attached an image of the settings I use on Edius for the meter levels, with an audio reference level of -20dB.
Unfortunately, this is not yet possible.

This is a function I have requested in the past, as I specify custom ranges within RTW Loudness Tools plugins by default (for metering Busses), but would also appreciate matching ranges within the Mixer's metering on a per channel basis.

Reference level always follows EBU R68 (0dBu = -18dBFS).
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Luigi Zumpano

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 7:38 pm

Ok, thanks again Reynaud ! :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve