Feature sugesstion

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Thom Britten-Austin

Feature sugesstion

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 1:41 pm

When rendering it would be useful to be able to render audio tracks without any of the fades or effects implemented in DR. E.g when outputting a MOV file with audio tracks for the final dubb in eg Logic Pro, you don't want any of the audio pre-mixed as this is best done in Logic.

So how about a checkbox on the deliver page 'Output raw audio'

??
Thom Britten-Austin
Windows 10, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X, Resolve 18.5

Lucas Pfaff

Re: Feature sugesstion

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 2:01 pm

I'd make much more sense to export individual source clips (e.g. with the Pro Tools Export-option, or common AAF/XML) with handles rather than a merged audio-file if you still want to edit it?
At least with crossfades it doesn't make much sense, even with effects removed you have no handles to fade between tracks anymore.

Best,
Lucas

Thom Britten-Austin

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 2:09 pm

Thanks for the input. If you can tell me how to export a project for audio dubb from DR (windows) to Logic Pro (mac) other than the way I described, I'm all ears :)
Thom Britten-Austin

Lucas Pfaff

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 8:45 am

I have no Logic at hands for testing, so I have no idea what formats it is able to read, but have you already actually tried to export a timeline as individual sourceclips for audio only? Because "individual sourceclips" is the option you'd render video too without any sizings or fades baked in.
With the additional benefit you don't have a merged-down audio track that can't be used for crossfades anymore :)
I'd try the FCPX export preset because it creates an .fcpxml that should be read directly into Logic.

Thom Britten-Austin

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 5:14 pm

Lucas

Thanks for the tip but as you will note the project is setup and edited with DV on a PC. The xml file just refers to the source files which are of course on the PC and cannot therefore be read/edited by the mac. As for copying them, well its over 7gb of data so not really practical
Thom Britten-Austin

Marc Wielage

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 6:09 am

Thom Britten-Austin wrote:Thanks for the tip but as you will note the project is setup and edited with DV on a PC. The xml file just refers to the source files which are of course on the PC and cannot therefore be read/edited by the mac. As for copying them, well its over 7gb of data so not really practical

Actually, you didn't initially say it was setup and edited with Resolve on a PC. Resolve session files are fairly transparent between Mac and PC and can work very well.

7TB is trivial these days, particularly for really rough 5K-6K projects. I know of some workflow methods that will get you by for Pro Tools, but Logic is kind of on an isolated island. It can work well with FCPX, so maybe one potential idea would be to export an FCPX XML file from Resolve, bring that into FCPX, then export the appropriate audio files for Logic from there.

I have been on a dozen or more audio projects where the sound crew basically had to reconform everything from scratch and rebuild the entire show, which basically can be done in a few days if you're fast and know what you're doing. For ProTools, there are 3rd-party products like Conformalizer and Virtual Katy designed specifically to rebuild sound-only sessions for video edits. But again... Pro Tools only. A tough workaround would be to find some tool to reconform Pro Tools projects to Logic, but I suspect by the end of that mess, you'd be better off just rebuilding it from scratch.

Workflow messes like this are a nightmare for everybody, and this is a key reason why a) you want to use people who are experienced and know how to avoid these problems, and b) you work out well in advance a method that you know will work. Any experienced colorist will have a dozen or more Workflow Nightmare stories, and the best thing I can say is once you've survived them, you eventually learn how to solve and avoid them.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Thom Britten-Austin

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 1:31 pm

after much investigation it seems that there is no viable way to move the DV timeline from a PC environment to Logic Pro on the MAC in order to do the audio dubb in Logic. Its possible to render the entire timeline to a mov file with audio tracks etc but then the individual clips in the tracks are merged into channels in the MOV file and you cannot see the individual timeline clips after importing to Logic

Using the Final cut export creates an XML file but the references to the source clips are in windows format eg G:\projects\etc which is of no use to the mac. Tring to import the FC xml to Logic just leaves you with a message asking you the name of the project in a window which is not editable... ie useless!

There are export formats that export the clip audio to files but then the file names are changed so that you end up manually editing 1000s of file names just to be able to get at them from the mac.

I guess I'm the only person in the entire universe that wants to do this... or?

Perhaps in some future update BM would be so kind as to adress this issue and add a useable export to Logic for those of use who work in both PC and MAC worlds. Such an export would have to take into consideration the different file systems so that an entire folder structure with the exported timeline xml and relevant media, could be lifted over to the mac e.g via an external drive.
Thom Britten-Austin

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 8:10 pm

In the Resolve preferences, system, Storage location you can map drive letters in Windows to match volume in Mac. As you have a Mac, make your project in Windows with the drive mapped, then open that project in the Mac, relink media if necessary and then try an xml export to Logic.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Thom Britten-Austin

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 2:50 pm

Thanks although by now I have pretty much given up trying to use the mac as it seems primarily designed for music post production and in your latest update a number of problems in Fairlight on the PC are fixed. Suggest you keep improving the Fairlight feature as ultimately it should be preferable to having to round-trip to another software just to mix/dubb audio
Thom Britten-Austin

Marc Wielage

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 2:42 am

Thom Britten-Austin wrote:Thanks although by now I have pretty much given up trying to use the mac as it seems primarily designed for music post production and in your latest update a number of problems in Fairlight on the PC are fixed.

That is not true. I know of dozens and dozens of major film & TV sound mixing & editing facilities in LA that are 100% Mac-based. Very, very heavily Pro Tools. This includes sound designers, effects editors, dialogue editors, and re-recording mixers. Five I can think of are Sony Pictures, Warner Bros., Disney, Technicolor/Hollywood (Sunset and Paramount), and Larson Sound. Skywalker Sound up north is also all 100% Pro Tools (at least, the last time I saw their facilities). I honestly don't know of a lot of film & TV sound mixing stages that use PCs.

I do know of some all-Fairlight companies, at least as of a few years ago, but they were mainly doing promos and trailers. Fairlight will eventually get there with Resolve, but it will take some time.

Again, a lot of this boils down to doing tests and figuring out a workflow that will function for what you're trying to do. Using two programs spread across two different operating systems is not what I would ever advise an inexperienced client to do.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve